4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

5 happy minutes before a KB smackdown

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

Default 5 happy minutes before a KB smackdown

I just installed a big tube kit and a 14 lb pulley. Nailed it a couple of times on the highway with a nice response. When I got off the highway I could hear the belt smacking the hood. It looks like it jumped a rib towards the charger and ate 1 rib. Anyone else have similar issues? I know they push the 8 rib swap for anything over 14 psi.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:08 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

check your tensioner...are all your pulleys on correctly...did you smack the rev limiter??
Old 08-18-2011, 05:10 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Im just curious did you just slap this stuff on then go hammer down on the highway without taking it for a tune?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:43 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

My Procharger did that regularly till I switched to a double shoulder pulley. It would often slip off by a rib, hit the alternator then go flying off. At $60-$80 per belt that sucked quick. See if you can find an alternate pulley design. I have a couple pictures around if you need to see what I am talking about.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:42 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

tensioner is snug, didn't hit the limiter, made boost (13 psi).

I put my spare on after filing down the closest obstruction I saw. There is a stud and bolt for a wire loom near the pan. Seems to be doing good now.

Uber - I just use the KB canned tune. I don't have a forged crank and should be pushing the limits with the conservative tune they flash.

Shadow - that sounds like the way to go. Can you send pics? I wondered why KB doesn't send them that way.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:27 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by smashten
tensioner is snug, didn't hit the limiter, made boost (13 psi).

I put my spare on after filing down the closest obstruction I saw. There is a stud and bolt for a wire loom near the pan. Seems to be doing good now.

Uber - I just use the KB canned tune. I don't have a forged crank and should be pushing the limits with the conservative tune they flash.

Shadow - that sounds like the way to go. Can you send pics? I wondered why KB doesn't send them that way.
With that kind of boost I would def getting it dyno tuned to be on the safe side, alot of boost to be trusting a can tune.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:17 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
With that kind of boost I would def getting it dyno tuned to be on the safe side, alot of boost to be trusting a can tune.
+1, sounds like you got a nice ride though
Old 08-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

dyno tune FTW!!
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
smashten
1st Gear Member

Thanks, I'm sure you guys are right. I'm new to boost and have put a wideband in so I can at least see whats happening at full throttle. I guess I was going by the lit from KB and the fact that they discourage dyno tunes. Everyone says u can get more out of them with a dyno tune. I wouldn't want some jack leg tuning the car, got any suggestions for tidewater VA?

On a related topic my bud was taking his ls1 to the track the night after I changed the belt. I told him before we got too far I would need to crack it a couple of times and look under the hood to avoid a long tow home. I did a drive by and he said it sounded like a 747 was landing on him, then he sucked fumes through his recirc ac for 5 mins. Got to the track and it was shut down from an earlier sprinkle. GRRRRRRRRRR!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:39 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

ya KB is on crack if they discourage dyno tunes...yes there tunes are "ok" but my belief is that tune is just to get you from the shop to your dyno guy with no heavy acceleration...a dyno tune can see what your car is doing and make adjustments they cant see that unless you send them data logs then thats just a KB dyno tune

my suggestion is to find a couple places around where you life and go there one weekend and watch him do some cars...everyone is gonna try to sell you on something but the guy that talks about what he does with passion is most likely a good guy

hopefully someone on here can suggest someone for you!

Quick Reply: 5 happy minutes before a KB smackdown