4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Looking to lower...opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:35 PM
bullitt 736

Offset bushings are definitely not needed.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

i just took eibach pros off my convertible this week because both of my front springs snapped. the driver's side snapped in one place, passenger side in two places. both snapped near the same end (i don't know which end, i only saw them once they were removed). i replaced them with H&R super sport springs and am much happier with the ride. i also have bilstein shocks/struts, stock quad shock, UPR CC plates, BBK offset steering rack bushings, and a steeda bumpsteer kit. car is straight as an arrow, handles great, and isn't bouncy like it was with the eibachs.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:22 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bullitt 736
Offset bushings are definitely not needed.
not true. you're altering the geometry of the suspension. they're a really good idea if you want your car to stay pointed forward when you hit a bump in the road.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:31 AM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by IRSmart
i just took eibach pros off my convertible this week because both of my front springs snapped. the driver's side snapped in one place, passenger side in two places. both snapped near the same end (i don't know which end, i only saw them once they were removed). i replaced them with H&R super sport springs and am much happier with the ride. i also have bilstein shocks/struts, stock quad shock, UPR CC plates, BBK offset steering rack bushings, and a steeda bumpsteer kit. car is straight as an arrow, handles great, and isn't bouncy like it was with the eibachs.
Did you make other changes when you switched to the super sports? Because i felt no difference in ride quality when switching from the Eibach Pro-Kit to the H&R Super Sports.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:04 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mrtstang
Did you make other changes when you switched to the super sports? Because i felt no difference in ride quality when switching from the Eibach Pro-Kit to the H&R Super Sports.
nope, no other changes at all. my fronts were both snapped it two places when i replaced them with ths SS, but i don't feel like my ride ever got worse after they snapped. i couldn't even tell you how long i drove on snapped springs, the shop that installed my transmission told me they were broken. but i definately notice a smoother ride, and they've only been installed for a few days.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:17 AM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

@JTB, Your ride is super nice! Thanks for all the info everybody! Looks like the HR SS Springs are quite a bit more aggressive, so i may do those down the road. When I do ill do the CC plates bumpsteer and maybe the rack bushings. But for now, since the eibachs arent as aggressive ill go with those to get me by until i have more money. Ill get the eibach springs then the ccplates and then a bumpsteer kit and rack bushings then upgrade the springs again in about a year. Im tired at lookin at all that air in between my tires and wheel wells!
Old 08-20-2011, 11:32 AM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

there's not that big of a difference in the two, trust me from someone who's owned both. buying eibach's now to "get by" then buying H&Rs in a year is stupid, you're throwing money away. take it from someone who has learned this lesson the hard way too many times. do it right the first time, and you only have to do it once.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM
sn95_331_GT_ yellow
5th Gear Member

cant wait to ditch my Pro-Kit for H&R SS's again, had them on my 95 and loved them
Old 08-20-2011, 12:29 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

@IRSmart, ok, i see your point. But with the more agressive lowering do you think i could go for a while without the CC plates and be ok? Like i said i will be adding those, but i wonder if itll lower too far and not align correctly without the CC plates and rack bushings.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:52 PM
IRSmart
2nd Gear Member

you should put the plates on with any lowering kit. these cars don't take to lowering without them very well. i wouldn't recommend lowering with any spring and not putting on the accompanying equipment. it doesn't make sense to do it half-a**ed now, just to pay the same amount of money later, because you want it now.