4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Seafoam treatment - no smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 06:57 PM
riverbottom

Default Seafoam treatment - no smoke?

Hey guys

Is it normal to get absolutely NO smoke after doing a seafoam treatment? I've got a 2003 Mach 1 w/ 49k miles and I decided to feed her some seafoam. I put a little under half a can through the PCV valve while the engine was at operating temp. Just pulled the valve elbow off and flipped the elbow around and fed it slowly into the elbow. I hope that's an acceptable spot on the Mach 1, I couldn't find any other vacuum line. It sputtered a bit with each sip but never stalled out. Then I let it sit for 15-20 mins and fired it up. It stuttered for a moment then came right to life. But there wasn't a single puff of smoke. Revved the engine for a bit and no smoke. Took it around the block and no smoke. Could my intake be that clean? I've heard of guys doing a seafoam at 20k and getting smoke.

Anyone experienced this?

The car seems to be running great though. At idle it used to be a little bumpy. There used to be these tiny little "hiccups" in my idle. But as far as I can tell those are gone. I sat in the car for a good ten minutes and the idle was silky smooth.

Anyhow, thanks for any input
Old 09-04-2011, 07:14 PM
riverbottom

Well, now I think I only fed that seafoam to the lower intake by using the PCV valve. Is there another valve I should go through to clean the whole thing? Break booster or something? Anyone know?
Old 09-04-2011, 07:17 PM
riverbottom

Originally Posted by riverbottom
Break booster

Sorry, its been a long day. That's brake booster.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:32 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

I always use the brake booster. Fed by vacuum from all cylinders so it distributes evenly.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
riverbottom

Thanks steve. I might try 1/3 of a can or less through the brake booster line, but I'm not sure if I should even bother. On this 4.6L DOHC, my pcv valve is on the driver's side valve cover, and the hose leads from the valve cover to the top of the intake, right underneath the shaker hood. I have no idea, but I'm assuming that line feeds all cylinders and will cover the whole intake.

All I've been able to learn online is that on V6 mustangs, the brake booster line apparently only feeds 3 cylinders.... so they all say use the PCV valve and that it feeds all cylinders. But I can't find anything about this for a 2003 Mach 1 4.6L DOHC. Some guys with GTs use the PCV, some use the brake booster it seems.

The fact that I got no visible smoke at all is really confusing........
Old 09-04-2011, 09:47 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

i used the PCV line. i stuck a mcdonalds straw into it, and squeezed it with my fingers to keep it from stalling out, then stuck the straw into the can and used the vacuum to pull the fluid into the intake.

ideally a mist would be best, but the intake feeds all the cylinders, there's no mistake about that. just let it suck it up, then let it run for like 5 minutes, then shut it off and let it sit for 20-30 then start it back up and rev it up.

i've only seafoamed twice on my stock motor. there's some conflicting info about it, so i just stopped using it... i dont plan on using it with the new motor.

Last edited by zero2005; 09-04-2011 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:09 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by stevednmc
I always use the brake booster. Fed by vacuum from all cylinders so it distributes evenly.
Where do you find this vacuum brake booster on your 2001 GT?
Old 09-04-2011, 10:19 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by riverbottom
Thanks steve. I might try 1/3 of a can or less through the brake booster line, but I'm not sure if I should even bother. On this 4.6L DOHC, my pcv valve is on the driver's side valve cover, and the hose leads from the valve cover to the top of the intake, right underneath the shaker hood. I have no idea, but I'm assuming that line feeds all cylinders and will cover the whole intake.

All I've been able to learn online is that on V6 mustangs, the brake booster line apparently only feeds 3 cylinders.... so they all say use the PCV valve and that it feeds all cylinders. But I can't find anything about this for a 2003 Mach 1 4.6L DOHC. Some guys with GTs use the PCV, some use the brake booster it seems.

The fact that I got no visible smoke at all is really confusing........
There is no vacuum operated brake booster on the '96 through '04 4.6L GTs.

The 4.6L modular engine was too wide to fit a vacuum unit in, so Ford used their Hydroboost system which uses power steering system hydraulic pressure to provide power assist...
Old 09-04-2011, 10:26 PM
riverbottom

Originally Posted by zero2005
i've only seafoamed twice on my stock motor. there's some conflicting info about it, so i just stopped using it... i dont plan on using it with the new motor.
Holy **** no kidding man... I've spent hours today searching out info about this stuff on these mustangs and it just goes in circles.

I did a seafoam on a '99 dodge ram several years ago and it worked amazingly well. The smoke was insane and the truck most certainly ran better. But on this mustang of mine, I got no smoke and I think it may be idling smoother but I can't really tell. I also changed the oil and put in a new fuel filter. I don't think the seafoam really cleaned anything out of this particular car.
Old 09-04-2011, 10:27 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

My apologies! I meant I HAVE always used the brake booster line. I have not seafoamed my car, so i honestly didnt even think about it. Sorry again for the misinformation.

Quick Reply: Seafoam treatment - no smoke?