4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

300HP recommendations?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Sorry to threadjack guys but I read alot of places that the CAI are not worth it, that you can just use a drop in K&N filter and that will work the same becus the stock mustang already has a CAI design? Am i wrong? Just curious becus I see alot of people buying them but when i look at my intake, it does look like its getting the cold air from outside, rather than taking alot of hot air from inside the engine? FYI, i have an 03 GT, that im trying to get the hp up enough to keep up with a S197 stangs.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:16 PM
mrtstang
6th Gear Member

You figure full bolt on gt's make around 260 rwhp on average, so that's an easy 300 fwhp right there.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:20 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Nitrous. Quick, cheap, and effective.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:24 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

300 fwHP is easy--I am there (262 rwHP / 0.85 = 308 fwHP) with modest bolt-ons...

Exhaust: 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, X-pipe catted or not (it really doesn't matter), and 2-1/2" catback;

Intake: Almost any aftermarket upper plenum and a 70 or 75 mm TB will make things better in the upper mid-range through the rev-limiter. A 70 mm TB will have better charge velocity at the very high end as compared to a 75 mm unit. If you only have the cash to do one do the plenum first--click here to find out why.

Tune: Tweaked and optimised for 93 octane fuel, this cannot be done without a wideband O2 system, and absolutely cannot be done via email;

UDPs: Help make numbers on inertial dynos at higher revs, they also help in the real world if you use the 4500+ rpm range aggressively in the lower gears;

Forget CAIs, ignition "upgrades" and the other crap that works on ricers, the stock intake on a new-edge GT is a CAI and a pretty damned good one, and the stock COPs cannot be beat...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

I want to keep my exhuast sounding as close to stock as possible, would adding a x pipe only to the stock exhaust be helpful? I use my mustang for surveillance sometimes so i need to keep the noise down and trying not to affect gas mileage too much either. Oh one other thing, will 373 gears decrease fuel economy on my 03 GT auto? Thanks for the help

Originally Posted by cliffyk
300 fwHP is easy--I am there (262 rwHP / 0.85 = 308 fwHP) with modest bolt-ons...

Exhaust: 2-1/2" from the manifolds back, X-pipe catted or not (it really doesn't matter), and 2-1/2" catback;

Intake: Almost any aftermarket upper plenum and a 70 or 75 mm TB will make things better in the upper mid-range through the rev-limiter. A 70 mm TB will have better charge velocity at the very high end as compared to a 75 mm unit. If you only have the cash to do one do the plenum first--click here to find out why.

Tune: Tweaked and optimised for 93 octane fuel, this cannot be done without a wideband O2 system, and absolutely cannot be done via email;

UDPs: Help make numbers on inertial dynos at higher revs, they also help in the real world if you use the 4500+ rpm range aggressively in the lower gears;

Forget CAIs, ignition "upgrades" and the other crap that works on ricers, the stock intake on a new-edge GT is a CAI and a pretty damned good one, and the stock COPs cannot be beat...
Old 09-07-2011, 10:59 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by supermario
I want to keep my exhuast sounding as close to stock as possible, would adding a x pipe only to the stock exhaust be helpful? I use my mustang for surveillance sometimes so i need to keep the noise down and trying not to affect gas mileage too much either. Oh one other thing, will 373 gears decrease fuel economy on my 03 GT auto? Thanks for the help
If all of the above is required then keep it stock, everything you have listed was on the Ford design engineer's checklist...
Old 09-07-2011, 11:07 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
If all of the above is required then keep it stock, everything you have listed was on the Ford design engineer's checklist...
Gotcha but would the 373 gears really affect gas mileage? All my stuff not really required, just the exhuast noise about my only concern. I plan on adding steeda udp's, k&n drop in, aluminum driveshaft and maybe 373 gears depending on info gathered on mpg? Thanks again and sorry to bug and threadjack. Just excited to get my stang back. Somebody took over payments but dont want it, so im getting it back almost paid off
Old 09-07-2011, 11:30 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Gotcha but would the 373 gears really affect gas mileage? All my stuff not really required, just the exhuast noise about my only concern. I plan on adding steeda udp's, k&n drop in, aluminum driveshaft and maybe 373 gears depending on info gathered on mpg? Thanks again and sorry to bug and threadjack. Just excited to get my stang back. Somebody took over payments but dont want it, so im getting it back almost paid off
It all depends on where and how you drive, however 3.73s with the stock tune (which is crap) will cost you 3/4 to 1 mpg, 4.10s a bit more. This can be gotten back in part, and maybe another 1/2 to 3/4 mpg, with a good tune; however without a retune you will pay a small price. Lower gears and optimal fuel economy are mutually exclusive goals, that's why Ford put the 3.27s in there.

Returning to your goals, they are inconsistent. While to a point performance can be increased with minimal fuel economy losses (though optimisation) you will reach a point where fundamental laws of energy conversion apply and more power = more fuel consumption--and that's the fact Jack.

The mods I have made to my car cost me 1/4 to 1 mpg, depending on where and how I drive.

If that bothered me I would drive a Corolla...
Old 09-08-2011, 12:25 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

WOW, that is not a decrease at all. I had the idea that gas would drop to the low teens just driving around town. If I could put my fwhp at 300hp with those basic bolt ons and lose only about 1-2mpg, that is not bad at all. Thanks for answering all my questions. I know what I want now and I had the wrong impression about the decrease in gas mileage. Im sure Im wasting more gas just having a lead foot around town. Thanks again.

QUOTE=cliffyk;7681265]It all depends on where and how you drive, however 3.73s with the stock tune (which is crap) will cost you 3/4 to 1 mpg, 4.10s a bit more. This can be gotten back in part, and maybe another 1/2 to 3/4 mpg, with a good tune; however without a retune you will pay a small price. Lower gears and optimal fuel economy are mutually exclusive goals, that's why Ford put the 3.27s in there.

Returning to your goals, they are inconsistent. While to a point performance can be increased with minimal fuel economy losses (though optimisation) you will reach a point where fundamental laws of energy conversion apply and more power = more fuel consumption--and that's the fact Jack.

The mods I have made to my car cost me 1/4 to 1 mpg, depending on where and how I drive. If that bothered me I would drive a Corolla...[/QUOTE]
Old 09-08-2011, 08:21 AM
DazednFLA1

Sorry to threadjack guys but I read alot of places that the CAI are not worth it, that you can just use a drop in K&N filter and that will work the same becus the stock mustang already has a CAI design? Am i wrong? Just curious becus I see alot of people buying them but when i look at my intake, it does look like its getting the cold air from outside, rather than taking alot of hot air from inside the engine? FYI, i have an 03 GT, that im trying to get the hp up enough to keep up with a S197 stangs.
I know the New Edge intakes are CAI from the factory but the owner before me cut open the top of the filter cover. Don't know why he did this unless he didn't know it was a CAI because now it just sucks in hot engine air as well. I'm wanting to change to the Steeda one just for looks so I don't have to repair the original one.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 300HP recommendations?