4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE WATCH VIDEO NEED HELP WITH NEW CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:08 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation PLEASE WATCH VIDEO NEED HELP WITH NEW CLUTCH

ok guys im at a loss here, so im debating whether or not i installed my new clutch correctly, i torqued everything down to spec got the flywheel resurfaced, new RAM HDX clutch kit, NEW ford racing TOB, NEW ford racing pilot bearing, NEW for clutch fork, NEW ford pivot ball stud (the part that the clutch fork pivots on) so i got everything new except the flywheel which was resurfaced at a reputable shop near me, all ford parts minus the new clutch, so my issue here is i cannot for any reason get the clutch cable to reach far enough to get it onto the clutch fork, im thinking i might just need a new longer cable possibly idk? the FWA takes up some slack i would need but idk how much and im using the second hook on the double hook quadrant, guys if any of you have either installed this clutch or a new clutch could you look at this video and let me know if this seems right, the amount of movement i have at the clutch fork or if i should have more?? i don't remember what i had when i took off the old clutch, im kinda pissed after all this effort i put into this to save about 500$ im starting to think i should have just shelled out the cash an paid someone to do it, granted if the TR3650 had a removable bell housing it would make the job 100x easier IMO bc of those top two bolts but never the less, let me know what you guys think, and if i have to drop the damn trans again i will to get things right, i have never done a clutch job before so this is my first time and it wasn't hard just time consuming but i think i could do it again if i had to with less problem but heres the video, thanks guys!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy5ACKXAhlY
Old 09-08-2011, 05:39 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i dont wanna insult you with this question... but did you get the clutch on those steal rods sticking out of the flywheel...like theres holes on the clutch that there supposed to go into cause it looks like your clutch is sticking way to far out there should be more play then that
Old 09-08-2011, 12:28 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

It looks fine to me. Have you been able to compare your cable to a replacement yet?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Yeah I lined them up I can't think of what theyre called right now but yes there's like 3 or 4 of them that help u line up the clutch to the flywheel so yes I did that and cliffyk I haven't yet but I emailed AM and they said the MM cable is only about a half inch longer so Idk what to do unless a triple hook qaudrant will give ne more slack in the cable I'm out of ideas
Old 09-08-2011, 02:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Locating dowels...
Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

Man this stinks I'm out of ideas ??
Old 09-08-2011, 06:15 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What about putting the stock quadrant and pawl back on, it has a very wide range of adjustment and might get you on the road again 'til this gets sorted out...
Old 09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

i did just that last night cliffyk i couldnt figure out how to get the pawl back on i think thats what its called the smaller piece, i couldn't get the spring for that one back on, i honestly don't remember where the spring was located for the smaller one, but yeah i was thinking that exact same thing! if you could find a pic lmk, i looked all last night for one and couldn't find a good one!
Old 09-09-2011, 04:51 AM
bronxbomerss2
2nd Gear Member

well guys i eneded up tearing out the trans AGAIN this time in about 4 hrs to do everything again including installing everything so i would consider myself pretty good at it now lol but with that being said i checked everything twice this time and a third time torqued everyting to spec and again still the same amount of room from the TOB to the clutch fingers so its just the way a new clutch is so im going to get a triple hook quadrant and hope that solves my issue
Old 09-09-2011, 05:22 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

could there be a snag in your clutch cable and your not gettin enough play with it? buddy of mine had a snag in his...he changed the pressure plate and everything just to find it was a snag

Quick Reply: PLEASE WATCH VIDEO NEED HELP WITH NEW CLUTCH