4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

good news,, and bad news

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:14 PM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Default good news,, and bad news

well the good news is most my goodies came in. got my underdrive pulleys on, got my tb and upper plenum on, good day. until i start to take my plugs out, the 1st 3 plugs on the drivers side was about 1 1/2 inches full of antifreeze, i had to vacume the antifreeze out before i could remove the plugs, so now im pissed. oh yea when i removed the plenum it only had 3 bolts holding it on, so i investgate and found that 1 bolt was broke off in the intake, so the day went from good to bad. any way i have every thing done and the car revs faster than i ever could imagine, the msd coils are awesome. so i guess ill have to buy a intake now, seems it has a crack and or a bad seal. the last plug had no antifreeze and the other side was fine.
i guess ill order the professional products alum intake,or i might get the edelbrock victor jr. intake and buy a adapter so i can use my tb and plenum, im still waiting on my american muscle tune and a few other parts. my mods are in my sig , do you think i will benifit from the intake??

Last edited by scott4.6; 09-23-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:48 PM
StockD15b
4th Gear Member

for you mods id just replace with the stock intake that has the aluminum crossover. you didnt mention the year of your car anywhere so i assume you have the all plastic one
Old 09-23-2011, 10:03 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

you'll prolly lose some torque with a vic jr. and without the proper elbow, its more than likely going to be a waste of cash... the choke point would be the plenum at that point. the vic jr was designed for high revving built motors. unless you change the compression ratio or do something like add a blower to help the high end, then the gains will be minimal. the stock intake should be more than adequate.

with your mods, your money is better spent elsewhere. look at your rear suspension. i could drop 3k into it and still not be happy.

Last edited by zero2005; 09-23-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:00 AM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by StockD15b
for you mods id just replace with the stock intake that has the aluminum crossover. you didnt mention the year of your car anywhere so i assume you have the all plastic one
its a 03.i just dont want to wast my money on another plastic one.i have seen a dyno sheet with the victor with the tb, and plenum setup and it made 15 rear wheel hp.na.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:04 PM
jtb727
3rd Gear Member

That 15RWHP you see with the victor jr. is going to be where you barely ever use it, at the VERY VERY high end of the RPMs, especially for a stock motor, to flow enough air to truely benefit you need FI... or need some seriously ported heads, a BA set of cams, and to spin it to 7k.. talk to MustangmanCP and see how he likes it, but he's got a very high revving NA motor, and some serious head work.

If I'm not mistaken you also need aftermarket fuel rails, and such, so theres more to it than just the victor jr.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
scott4.6
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtb727
That 15RWHP you see with the victor jr. is going to be where you barely ever use it, at the VERY VERY high end of the RPMs, especially for a stock motor, to flow enough air to truely benefit you need FI... or need some seriously ported heads, a BA set of cams, and to spin it to 7k.. talk to MustangmanCP and see how he likes it, but he's got a very high revving NA motor, and some serious head work.

If I'm not mistaken you also need aftermarket fuel rails, and such, so theres more to it than just the victor jr.
what about the professional products intake? i really dont want to do all that work to just put on a stock intake ..again
Old 09-24-2011, 05:20 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by scott4.6
what about the professional products intake? i really dont want to do all that work to just put on a stock intake ..again
if u really wanna pay for a metal intake, just buy one. its not going to help you at all with your mods. there's nothing wrong with the PI intake. sometimes parts break. thats life. we're not here to convince you to do anything, you'll do what you want anyways. all we can do is provide info. that 15hp, is probably an inflated number, spinning the motor to rediculously high RPMs with cams and all sorts of other goodies.

seriously, anyways, what does it matter - 15hp? first off thats probably crank HP, so its realistically like 8 rwhp. is it worth it? only you can decide.

you want a good place to put your money - DO YOUR SUSPENSION. doesnt matter how much power you put down on the dyno if all you do is spin tires in the same location all day. i can do that with a line lock, or even just a brake stand in a 4-banger BMW...

Tires and Suspension are usually the MOST overlooked aspect of making a good car great.
full length subframes, rear lower control arms, springs/shocks/struts... caster camber plates.. tubular front end to lose some weight and provide better geometry... those are all mods i would do before an intake manifold on a stock or bolt on 2v. if you really wanna go all out you can go with a panhard bar and torque arm setup.

you want major horsepower cheap, buy a nitrous kit. 400-600$ will get you a good used or new kit, installs in no time with little hassle, and gets you awesome gains. only bad thing is keeping the bottle full. i'd start there to see if i want a 400 hp car (after i did basic stuff like suspension/tires/gears etc...)