4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Basic 99/01 FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 01:05 PM
MarcusM
2nd Gear Member

Default Basic 99/01 FAQ

Basic 99/01 FAQ

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

99 and 01 Mustang Cobra FAQ Basic Info

Q. What is different between the 99/01 and 96-98 4.6 4 valve engines?

A. The 96-98 mustang cobra comes with a 281 cube 4 valve engine. It sports an aluminum block with a 3.55 bore/3.54 stroke. This block has 6 bolt main caps and is cast by Teksid in Italy. This block also has jack screws (to positively locate the main caps from the side) and smaller side bolts that go through the jack screws. The forged crankshaft is a kellog piece and has an 8 bolt flywheel bolt pattern. The powdered metal rods and hypereutectic pistons are the weak points. The pistons have a 3cc dish. The 96-98 is also equipped with the B heads. They are also known as swirl port heads. These heads have 2 intake ports per cylinder, with an Intake runner control (IMRC) to block off the secondary intake ports until the engine reaches 3250 rpm to promote torque production. The camshafts produce a touch more lowend power then peak power to make the engine more responsive down low. The long runner intake is a 2 piece unit with a sidemount dual 57mm throttle body.

The 99/01 motor has a very similar bottom end. The only differences include larger side bolts with no jack screws, a different sized knock sensor bolt, and the possibility of a different block. The new block is the Windsor Aluminum Plant block (wap block for short). This block has visible ribbing that looks stronger, but the case itself is thinner, making it 5lbs lighter, but weaker overall. The teksid block is the one to have, but the wap will still stand over 700bhp (I have been over this level for more than a year with a wap block). The heads are single port, tumble port “C” Heads. They have a smaller intake port and larger more oval exhaust port in order to make the engine more responsive. The cams are ground more for top end power. The 2 piece intake also has a side mount 57mm throttle body and long runners for torque production. The timing gear is pretty similar with slight differences. The valve covers and timing covers are different. The ignition on the 99/01 motor is a coil on plug system vs 2 coil packs and plug wires on the 96-98. The COP system delivers a stronger spark with less maintenance.

Q. What spark plugs should I use on my 99/01 motor?

A. That depends greatly on the setup. For a basically stock motor, the factory spec’ed plug is a platinum 32 series motorcraft plug. While decent for long life, its not necessarily a performance plug. A switch to copper will give better performance, a cheaper price, at the cost of having to change plugs more often (about every 30k miles). Copper replacements for the stock heat range are Autolite 764s, and ngk tr55s. Do not use the bosch platinum series (either 2 or 4). The recommended gap for naturally aspirated applications is .052 to .056

For wilder setups making over 300rwhp, it might be necessary to go to a colder plug (also for those in very warm climates). The 1 step colder plugs would be the NGK tr6 or I believe the autolite 103 plugs. Ford makes a lovely 1 heat range colder copper plug called the awsfa-22c. this is often regarded as the holy grail plug.
For blown cars with under 10psi, the 1 heat range colder plugs will work well. Start the gap at .035 and make it smaller if you are blowing out the spark (misfires under boost, lots of grey smoke, loss in pull)

For blown cars with higher boost levels, 2 heat range plugs may be needed. These are NGK tr7s or awsfa-12c plugs. I personally run the 12c plugs at a .028 gap with a completely stock ignition. They have been working well.

Q. What exhaust should I run on my 99/01?

A. Tricky question due to personal preference on powerband and sound. There are 3 exhaust categories. 1. Headers, 2. mid pipe, 3 catback. For headers, you can either get shorties, mid lengths or longtubes. Shorties will make the least torque, but are smog legal. They are all a bitch to install, so it won’t make much difference. The only shortie headers to get are JBA. The 1 5/8th size is best for most cobras. FRPP shortie headers are absolute garbage and a waste of money. As far as I know, only bassani makes midlengths and there isn’t that much info on them. If I were going to go to midlengths id go all the way to long tubes. Long tubes have low ground clearance and many brands (aside from hooker and kooks I believe) will require loosening to remove the transmission. Long tube headers will provide a nice boost in low end torque and slightly better gains then other headers up top. DO NOT BUY MAC HEADERS, AND IF YOU DO, CLEAN THE INSIDES OUT VERY WELL BEFORE.

Mid pipe is a toss up. Some like x pipes, others h pipes and others the prochamber. The bottom line is that they all have very similar power gains (about 10rwhp or so) so buy what you think sounds the best.

As far as catback, its pretty much like the midpipe. They all give fairly modest power gains so go with what you think sounds the best. Keep in mind that these will need to be specific to the 99/01 because of the rear suspension so something from and older model won’t fit.

Q. Oil and Oil filter?

A. This question is dependant on both climate, wallet size, and driving style. The spec’ed oil for 99 cobras is 5w-30. For 01s its 5w-20. It will not make a difference which ones you use. Since all these cars are out of the factory warranty, use whatever one is easier to find. If you live in a very hot climate and like to beat on the car, go for something a little thicker. If you live in a cold area, get a thinner oil in order to get the valvetrain lubricated quicker. Do not run anything thicker than a 10w-40. This is not your buddies small block chevy with bearing clearance so thick you could shove a pen through it. You can’t run such thick oil on a mod motor. If you want to get the absolute best oil, go for either german castrol (says made in germany on the back) or amsoil. If you have a midrange budget, get mobil 1 or royal purple. If you want synthetic but don’t have a ton of cash, valvoline or castrol syntec is ok. If you don’t care, put some normal dino oil in.

Oil filters. There are many on the market. All of them are ok except for FRAM. FRAM is junk and the only place it should be is on your lawn mower. The most popular are the Motorcraft Fl820s filter, the K&N one and the Mobil M1 filter.

Oil change frequency and oil level are too controversial so I’ll only tell you what I do. I change my mobil 1 synthetic at 3k miles and run 7 quarts.

Q. When to change my fuel filter, where is it, and how?

A. The fuel filter should be replaced on a normal cobra every 30k or so. For a blown car move that down to every 10k. It’s a 17 dollar part, so replace it often. It is located on the passenger side, above the irs, about 6 inches from the tank. Little silver canister. You need a ford fuel line disconnect tool. It’s a metal piece that looks like a scissor. The basics of the change are this. Put car on ramps or jackstands in rear. Use screwdriver to pop off safety clips. Use tool to disconnect line going to engine. Loosen hose clamp. Remove line from other side. Pop filter out. Replace filter, connect lines, and reinstall safety clips.

Q. What size are our injectors?

A. All modular cobras until 03 run high impedence 24lb injectors. The 03 runs 39lb injectors. All aftermarket injectors have the 96-98 electronic plug. PHP and CPR as well as a bunch of vendors sell adapters to run larger injectors on our setups. 60s are the largest, most readily available high impedence injectors. They also offer good driveability. The Stock computer can not run low impedence injectors without a driver. This is expensive and kind of useless since 60s will support about 700rwhp. Standalone fuel systems like FAST or DFI can run both low and high impedence.

Q
Old 09-10-2005, 10:16 AM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Basic 99/01 FAQ

good info...someone make this a sticky!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Jglisson
3rd Gear Member

bump!
Old 09-11-2005, 08:27 PM
97slobra
2nd Gear Member

Good stuff.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:55 PM
justingt
3rd Gear Member

ADMIN. !!! make this **** sticky its good stuff!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:04 AM
Black1999Cobra

For a new guy to the cobra seen, this is a great way to start.

This has answered quite a few of my questions. [sm=thanx.gif]

Old 10-11-2005, 12:23 PM
DR8907
3rd Gear Member

Great info - especially for me cause I have a 5.0 and I dont know too much about the mod cars. This should deffinatley be a sticky.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:38 PM
krukster
1st Gear Member

7 quarts of oil??? thats a controversial topic in itself. the haynes manual will tell you 6 quarts. my 2000 GT owners manual tells me 5 quarts. the local ford dealer tells me between 5 and 6. i put just over 5 and my pan is full when the motor is on