4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Winter Build (Advice Needed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 AM
GreenStang94

Default Winter Build (Advice Needed)

This past weekend I went to a local yard that I have been dealing with since I was 16. Asked the owner if they had any 4.6L laying in the yard that I could pick up for cheap for a winter build up. Owner went and searched in the yard and came back and said he has either a 99-00 SOHC sitting out there, it was sold to a young kid and apparently he installed in his Mustang and it began to overheat, so he brought it back. The motor has 26,xxx miles on it and is in great shape. I GOT IT FOR $175!!!!!! Went home and started to rip into my new toy and found the kid installed the thermostat incorrectly So after finding that discovery and patting myself on the back for a good buy I thought I would ask you guys what should this motor be built with? Larger internals? PI head? Stage 1 or 2 cams? Any input is great input guys, help me make a badass motor for my car. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
arabianobsession
2nd Gear Member

The engine already has the PI heads (I'm almost 100% positive), so you're good there.

I'm doing a similar winter swap in my 95 V6 and the engine is (eventually) going to have an aluminum intake (the factory plastic ones really suck), different heads, and cams. Someday a supercharger will be added
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM
GreenStang94

I thought that the PI heads went on the 01+ Mustangs. At least thats what I learned of them. Can somebody clear this up? Yea, I am thinking a stage 1 or 2 cam, maybe forged cobra rotating assembly, and as you are some day a supercharger will be added. But as just an N/A motor am I covering all the basics above for a stronger running and power producing motor? Any input is welcomed
Old 10-25-2011, 10:17 PM
Syracuse315
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by GreenStang94
I thought that the PI heads went on the 01+ Mustangs.
They started in the 1999 model.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:04 AM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

Yes the 99+ "New Edge" cars have PI Heads and Intakes. I think it was a 40 HP boost over your model. 4.6 4V swap would have been really cool. Did they have any Mark VIIIs?

What is your goal and what is our budget? If the kid oveheated it - did he damage it? Does it hold water? That would be my first quick test.

What do you have on your car now? Ported heads and Cams would be what I go after for the engine itself. Depends on your power goals. Some will cringe but Patriot Heads or another local shop's heads would be good. Watch out for Spark Plug threads. PIs have issues in that area. Some are only a couple threads and easy to strip.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
GalaxiePete
1st Gear Member

I guess I was assuming - is it a Mustang 4.6?
Old 10-26-2011, 10:37 AM
GreenStang94

Yes, in my car currently is a 2V 4.6L. Upgrades are full exhaust, 3.73 gears, a Stack Racing CAI, and SCT tune. My goals are maybe to reach 375-450hp....budget isn't too much of an issue. Its just going to take time to get everything together because of work and such....but with those healthy paychecks anything is possible. Now that I know the heads are PI, perhaps I will have them port and polished. Unless you think that a DOHC would be a better upgrade. As far as I can tell the motor is in working condition its on a stand and I can rotate the crank with adequate force, so no hydrolocking or anything, when the heads come off I will have them compared to specs.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Mustang_NTriangle
5th Gear Member

what is your budget and future plans with ur car other than hp? You won't hit those numbers n/a. I recommend a blower if you got the funds and keep stock heads and cams for now.

If you got the money for heads and cams then go for stage III head and cam package setup for blower application i.e. custom grind.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

if you want a good set of heads, go 99-04 cobra or mach1 heads. cheaper than porting and cams in two vave and will make as much power.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:19 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by arabianobsession
I'm doing a similar winter swap in my 95 V6 and the engine is (eventually) going to have an aluminum intake (the factory plastic ones really suck)
not much wrong with the plastic intake. it can withstand enough cfm's for ~500hp. also, the late 2001-2004 gt intakes had the aluminum crossover, which replaced the crappy plastic one (source for many coolant leaks). if you keep up with your coolant flushes (once every 2-3 years, from what I've gathered), you should be able to avoid any of that type of corrosion for quite a long time. and if you think the aluminum is impervious to coolant corrosion, you are quite mistaken. i can show you pictures...

Quick Reply: Winter Build (Advice Needed)