4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How is this deal on a 2001 GT with a Vortech???

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 06:00 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Default How is this deal on a 2001 GT with a Vortech???

I have been a mustang fan since as long as I can remember but could never really afford one. I finally have a job where i can afford to have a car payment (on top of my house payment/cost of living) but not sure I want to be trapped on a note for a new 5.0 for 5 years @ $420 a month.

My all time favorite stang are the termi's and 03/04 mach's so I have always loved the body style. I have stayed away from a used stang as Termi's and mach's fetch too much money IMO for how old they are (termi's still in the 20k area and mach's for 16k...too close to a new base 12 GT for 28k OTD I have already negotiated).

I really love the new 5.0 and am anxiously awaiting the '13 refresh but this mustang is 45 minutes away from me and really caught my eye today.

It is a 2001 Mustang GT with 29K miles on the odo! It has a vortech V2 (6 lbs) which was dyno tuned among other minor bolt ons. I really am not much into those rims but I am guessing I can sell them pretty easily? They are "ruff" racing rims... I found them on wheels next and for the staggered 19's (rims only) they are 1600! The tires are Goodyear Eagle F1's with 70+% tread left (which hell those are 300/tire front and 400/tire rear!) So the tire/rim combo new was roughly 2900 bucks! Any ideas on what I can sell the rims/tires for??? They look to be in great shape (no curb rash, good tread) but that is NOT my style at all. I would want some black deep dish 18 bullets.

The guy who owns it now is the second owner and has only put 500 miles on it (he said he was planning on storing it to resell in 10 years but is moving). The previous owner was a car nut in his 60's who was thinning his collection (he had all the mods installed, current owner has not done anything that im aware of).

The only issues are the car needs brakes (he claims front pads only but I would probably install full discs/pads F/R and flush the fluid just due to it being 10 years old). The other issue is he said the car is lowered 3 inches (too much imo) and the rear tires rub. I would probably install some -1 springs to get it back up to a reasonable ride height. I am guessing the shocks are trash being slammed 3 inches so would probably be replacing those as well.

He said the fuel pump went out today when he tried to start it today so he was taking it in to get a new pump installed.

The asking price is 8800 OBO. I have not kept up with used stang prices but that seems very reasonable to me. I found an 02 stock gt (looks a lot rougher) with 102k miles on it for 7000 in the same city. I know mod dont help resale that much but this does appear to be a very clean/well taken care of car.

Here are two higher res pics he emailed along with the listing from CL

2001 Mustang GT...30Kmiles Supercharged

It looks pretty well taken care of (hell my 03 SVT Focus is in MUCH worse shape and I try to take care of my stuff) but being over 10 years old it concerns me to have as a daily driver.... The low mileage is great but I also am afraid of the age and dont want to be replacing/repairing this car constantly.

How well does an 01 stang hold up over time? Any well known problems to watch out for?

Sorry for the long winded post but am curious as to what you guys think of this car. I am planning on maybe test driving it tomorrow. What would you guys pay for this car assuming the above problems are my out of pocket expense. I am guessing brakes front/rear are going to be 300-400, springs probably 200, struts-???)

Thanks in advance!
Mike
Old 11-06-2011, 06:16 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Get the cobra brakes....you'll need them with that much power. I also have the H&R Super Sport springs and I love them.

IMO, the cars a good deal with that low of miles. And throw it on the dyno to make sure it's tuned right. Did he tell you how much power it's putting down?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:26 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

I will have to ask him...He merely said its "over 400hp" @ the 6lbs. I dont know how the 4.6 responds to 6 pounds but 400whp seems high?

On American Muscle the V2 is listed to give the 00-04 motors 364whp/37wtq but it states the kit is 9-10 psi. Maybe this guy just does not know how many pounds its running...If it truly has close to 400whp I am guessing its running 8-10 pounds.

I really want a V8 rumble and want a reasonably fast car (which is why the new 5.0's are so attractive with 412 hp AND A WARRANTY!) but the 5 year commitment scares me.

How much are the cobra brakes??? I wouldnt mind upgrading as long as were not talking about 1500 in brakes. I was thinking once I got smaller/lighter rims (18's) plus some new rotors and Hawk pads would be sufficient?

Last edited by r00st; 11-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:31 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

As long as the tune is good, 6 pounds is no problem. 6 Pounds is really low for 400rwhp+ What other bolt on's does he have done? I personally like the look of the New edge mustangs better than the new ones but it's your call. I say if you have the money, get the 5.0. Cobra brakes are the best bang for the buck imo. They should be around 400. Go to a junkyard and find a mach 1/bullit/cobra. They all have "cobra" brakes.

Last edited by mineralpony; 11-06-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:40 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

I agree...especially if it lists on AM that a V2 equipped 01 puts down 364whp on 9-10 pounds. I am guessing it is running the 9-10 pounds the kit comes set up for. All it lists for motor mods are a BBK H pipe and flowmasters. Has a sound system of some sort with some sort of aftermarket shifter in it.

Well I DO have the money but being a home owner there is ALWAYS something that needs to be fixed and having a $400/month car payment would really kill the extra income for savings for potential problems. Then again a new '12 or '13 GT I would probably have zero problems with for 5 years where as this car could need a clutch or grenade the motor in the next year at my expense.

I am thinking if I can get this car for 8k, sell the rims/tires for 1k? They appear to be in excellent shape...I have no idea what 3,000 of rims/tires are worth used. Then I could put 1200 into new wheels/tires of my liking (so about even for sale of current rims) and maybe 1000 into fixing it up (brakes/springs, possibly struts). If this guy cant come up with where it was tuned or show a dyno sheet with A/F I would probably be forking out another 100 for a dyno run and possibly 300 for a tune if its off a little bit.

I would be into it roughly 9-10k which I am ok with, but I just dont want a "project" car that requires 1k every 6 months to keep it running!

Last edited by r00st; 11-06-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:53 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

Did you look into a termi? The price is less than a 5.0 and you get almost the same performance.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM
Stanglegend01

I have an 01 mustang gt vert and I've always taken care of it. I got the car in January of this year and the guy before me was a smoker and a sports car fanatic. He did not take care of the car (although he said he did). The reason why I say that is because he told me he only took it out on weekends when it was dry. It had not seen rain or snow (I did see bird poop on the hood that look like it had been there a while) and that the car had 102,000 miles on it. It has 110,000 now and I must say, this car has been one helluvaride! First thing that went out was the radiator, next was the water pump, next was the A/C, next was the egr, and now its my exhaust. I got a leak in the exhaust. If your going to get a 2001 check the mileage and not all pictures look the same, have him send you fresh pics from a phone or camera and ask him when the maintenance was done and what has been done besides the supercharger/mods etc. When you check to see if the maintenance has been done, to give you an idea, the radiator should be flushed at 50,000 miles, the shocks n struts/springs every 60,000 miles and if he did change the struts at the time it was lowered 2," depending on when the change was made for the struts and the amt. of mileage on it you can get a pretty good idea of when they will be needing changing again. lowered 3" should be changed I would say every 25-30,000 miles. the oil should have been changed every 3000 miles, and the transmission flushed every 15000 miles and the brake fluid every 55,000 miles. Just to give you an idea because when I changed my oil for the first time on my car, the mechanic that did it said the oil was black and charred. The guy b4 me did NOT take care of it. make sure this guy did. Looks aren't everything.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Once nice ride!! If I were you I would pull the trigger on this one!
Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
r00st
1st Gear Member

Yes those are my true loves but for the 20-23k an '04 termi in nice condition would cost I would rather spend another 5k and get a brand new 5.0 with a warranty.

Ya thats the problem...just because it has 29k miles does not mean this motor is in any better shape than a car with 150k miles on it. This guy has only driven it 500 miles and claims his intent was to hold onto it to resell it. Now that he is selling it he may be beating the snot out of it. I am guessing the original owner did not beat on it as the car appears to be in great shape (I guess the guy was in his 60's and had a garage full of cars he collected). I have learned over time that someone how takes care of the body and interior of a car generally performs basic maintenance on it as well. It seems the original owner had pretty good money to invest 8k into mods and only put 29k miles on it so I can only hope/assume he would do basic maintenance on it!

What do you guys think is a fair price for the car?

What do you guys think the rims/tires are worth in the for sale section?

Soldier: How many pounds do you run on your Vortech to get 390whp?

Last edited by r00st; 11-06-2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:03 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

You're debating on whether or not to buy a 5.0 or a supercharged new edge. These two cars are not the same. With the 5.0, you pay more, but you get better handling, a smoother ride, more low end torque, warranty, and less chance of part failure. Is that worth the extra 20 grand too you?

Quick Reply: How is this deal on a 2001 GT with a Vortech???