4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Help Please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:03 PM
supercross101

Default Help Please!

I have a 99 Mustang GT & im wanting to order a BBK offroad X pipe for it but I have a few questions before I buy it that hopefully somebody can answer. Will it have to be tuned after installing it?...What about the o2 sensors, will they cause the car not to run since the cats will be gone? I have Bassani mufflers on it right now with stock headers...will it sound good with the X-Pipe? I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some advice!!

Thanks, Kyle
Old 11-12-2011, 10:03 AM
Beefy Chewbacca

The car will not have to be tuned afterwards, but if you dont have MIL eliminators or a handheld tuner your (MIL) malfuntion indicator light will turn on for your the rear o2 sensors and will make the car run rich. As far as Im aware no damage will be done to your car running rich besides poor gas mileage. A friend of mine ran his like that for about a year and had no problems. The exhaust will sound mean and loud. It will have a raspy sound to it since your going with x-pipe instead of a h-pipe.

I run Hooker Super Comp headers, BBK X-pipe, SLP Loud Mouths 1 and it sounds like devil sucker punched your eardrum!!!!
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 AM
supercross101

Originally Posted by Beefy Chewbacca
The car will not have to be tuned afterwards, but if you dont have MIL eliminators or a handheld tuner your (MIL) malfuntion indicator light will turn on for your the rear o2 sensors and will make the car run rich. As far as Im aware no damage will be done to your car running rich besides poor gas mileage. A friend of mine ran his like that for about a year and had no problems. The exhaust will sound mean and loud. It will have a raspy sound to it since your going with x-pipe instead of a h-pipe.

I run Hooker Super Comp headers, BBK X-pipe, SLP Loud Mouths 1 and it sounds like devil sucker punched your eardrum!!!!
Thank you so much for replying back man!! Now I can order order it....I just didnt want to order it not knowing all of the facts! That sounds like a pretty sick exhaust setup you've got! I want to eventually get some series 40 Flows...I like that raspy backlash! Once again thanks for the info, I've been checking this thread like every hour since yesterday hoping for a reply & im sure that my Thread title "Help Please!" didnt help me any...Im still pretty new to the whole Mustang Forum! Have a good weekend!
Old 11-13-2011, 12:44 AM
Beefy Chewbacca

Anytime, Im new to the mustang forums aswell. Post a vid link on this thread after your done with your install.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:13 AM
supercross101

I definatly will!
Old 11-14-2011, 12:51 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Not having cats will trigger DTCs because of course the catalytic monitoring system will not be able to monitor the non-existent converters--however it will have no impact on the engine's operation--the rear O2 sensors are not used by any aspect of the PCM's engine control.

Here is more about how the Catalyst Efficiency Monitor works.

You can make your own MIL eliminators for around $5, click here for more.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Not having cats will trigger DTCs because of course the catalytic monitoring system will not be able to monitor the non-existent converters--however it will have no impact on the engine's operation--the rear O2 sensors are not used by any aspect of the PCM's engine control.

+1 here. Cliffyk to the rescue

I used his guide for MIL eliminators for a couple of years and they worked wonderfully.
Old 11-14-2011, 04:40 PM
supercross101

Originally Posted by cliffyk

Thanks alot man! Ill try it!