4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what would you do and where would you get it from?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:49 AM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Id just do a 04 Cobra motor swap for that coin IMO
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

04... be sure to install some FLSFC's that are welded in place. The verts come with Fords bolt-in ones, but are all but useless You want to run big powa, you need to support that carriage fo sho!

Jazzer says Grazzi for praise
Old 11-22-2011, 07:07 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

to help with the heatsoak issue, try running 9.5:1 to 10:1 compression. you wont have to spin the blower as high to make the same rwhp. also try a bigger intercooler coolent tank for low temps. long tubes and a cold air intake can also lower running temps.
if you want to keep cost down, find a used 03-04 cobra short bock. they have forged internals and can handle around 700-800rwhp
good luck man
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

dont see the point in going with a longblock 2v at this point unless your heads are damaged.

you could get a shortblock from MMR built for 600hp, or even 750, be well under your budget and have cash to spare for install costs which will easily rack up quick. MMR is always having a sale. I got mine on sale this year. they have a "layaway" option, you put a small down payment to lock in the sale price, then pay it off when you want. I had to do this because the sale was coming to an end and i didnt have all the cash together (got it 2 weeks later)

then you could save up until you put more miles on the 2v heads, and swap over to 4v heads.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:11 PM
04#231

So I just looked at the MMR website and like what they are offering for longblocks at this point. I will give them a shout after the holiday to pick thier brains on this. But they do leave some room for upgraded heads and cams if I decide to go that route. Has anyone here used them before and is there any feedback you can offer? To someone's point on going with an 03/04 Cobra motor, I would consider doing that as well. Does anyone know of a place where I could possible get one all done up? My problem right now is if I stay with the existing top end of heads and cams that I already have they are all 2 valve so I will be limited plus the Saleen Supercharger I have only works on the 2 valve cars so I have been told so I am kind of stuck in that mode. Not a bad mode as these 2 valve motors are being built to handle 600 hp plus with forged bottom ends, its just a matter of having a power adder that will get you there. The Cobra motor would do that with that cobra supercharger I know that and be able to handle a lot more hp and TQ in the long run. But again I assume that is close to $10K for that motor and charger w/o considering installation to do all that... Thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming.
Peace.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:50 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

problem with the MMR long blocks is AFAIK they are all essentially stock heads/cams/valves/springs... they also dont post ANY info on their cams, so i went with someone who actually isnt afraid to post their stuff up and let me decide.

everything that i've heard about MMR motors is good, but some of their other products, well... i dont have personal experience with that end so i wont say anything negative, but their turbo kit is essentially the same thing as an On3Performance kit (chinese) and their k-member looks like a QA1 design (garbage).
Old 11-23-2011, 03:23 PM
04#231

Thank you Zero 2005 but what does AFAIK mean in your opening line? It looks like you went with the MMR mod 750 in your description. I know it's hard to offer an opinion if you havent really used them, I know there are a lot of people out there that have a lot more experience with this then I do so that is why I appreciate the feedback. I do like the set ups that DSS Racing offers on their website and they seem to put some detail there as well. I have talked to them a little bit and they were pretty helpful but again I will look into others and talk to the guy that is going to put this together for me before I pull the trigger. I can't afford to do this again so I need to get it right the first time that is why I have so many questions.

Peace.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:28 PM
04#231

Jazzer, what are FLSFC's? I assume its Frame connectors? If so that may not be a bad idea to get rid of some body flex in the vert. Where would you suggest I look and what are some good options that won't break the bank? I can put it on the wish list and if the motor comes in at a decent price this is something along with the brakes and the light bar I may be able to add. Didn't you go with a complete Griggs set up on your car? I know awhile back I read where you had done a full set up and it really made your car 100% better in Auto Xing.. Peace.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:32 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

AFAIK = as far as i know
FLSFC's = full length sub-frame connectors. i'd go with maximum motorsport, in my opinion gives the most steel for the price point ($120). there are other options if your on a budget, for as low as $80. you'll need them welded in by a shop, with the suspension loaded (not on jack stands, has to be on a lift with all 4 corners compressed as if you were driving)

suspension is one of the biggest overlooked items for any SN95 mustang. its so lacking...

edit: oh and, if you do just go with a short block, you'll be able to retain the 2v, your supercharger, come in way under your budget with enough cash left over for an install and longtube headers. you'll prolly be able to sell your original short block for a good 200-400$.

Last edited by zero2005; 11-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

^

Originally Posted by 04#231
Jazzer, what are FLSFC's? I assume its Frame connectors? If so that may not be a bad idea to get rid of some body flex in the vert. Where would you suggest I look and what are some good options that won't break the bank? I can put it on the wish list and if the motor comes in at a decent price this is something along with the brakes and the light bar I may be able to add. Didn't you go with a complete Griggs set up on your car? I know awhile back I read where you had done a full set up and it really made your car 100% better in Auto Xing.. Peace.
I would probably say FAR MORE than 300% better with a full GR-40/SLA treatment

My car is nothing short of stellar, in the corners. There are MANY things that make this the case and dumping the 4-link is absolute key! Sub-frames are also high on this list, but require removal of the entire interior carpeting and seats to install, because they include uppers.

You can get close, but you won't get better than Griggs

Jazzer