4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Beginning of swap (Pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2005, 01:11 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

Default Beginning of swap (Pictures)

So on friday night they took out my engine. I wanted to help but really I would have gotten in their way. Today the new engine (the s281 sc is going in) Unfortunately they have to swap the injector rails and modify the wiring harness, and maybe get the computer reflashed. Would the computer be smart enough to figure out it needs to reset itself to a return style system for the injectors?

I basically just stood around and watched, they didnt need much help. I learned a lot though. Ill post some more with the new engine in.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:16 PM
02StanGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Beginning of swap (Pictures)

These guys friends, or are you having a shop do it?
Old 09-11-2005, 04:18 PM
rbstang
6th Gear Member

Looks good I hope everything goes well.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

I'm sure you have to put it on a dyno to see what it's doing. Especially with a S/C. You can find a dyno that uses Diablo software to retune it. I'm sure it would barely run if you changed the injectors and didn't reflash it. When I put my S/C on I had a tune emailed to me from Wille at Diablo sport just to get it up to the dyno. When they put it on the dyno they found that it was dangerously lean. I would suggest you have it tuned emediately. Don't even floor it untill you do that. I didn't know how lean my car was running and got into the throttle a couple times. They told me I was lucky if I didn't do any damage to the motor with the air fuel mix the way it was. There is no way anyone can know how it is running unless it is monitored with a wide band O2 which they use to tune it.

You can get a temporary tune from Diablo sport for about $100 or just get it towed up to a shop with a tuner.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:06 PM
red2k1gt
5th Gear Member

Get in there and get your hands dirty [8D].
Old 09-11-2005, 08:34 PM
*Blk_96_Stang_GT*
4th Gear Member

How many miles were on the old engine?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:02 PM
4.698GT
4th Gear Member

clean the bay up a lil b4 you drop that new motor in there. No sense in putting a nice pretty motor into a nice dirty nasty looking bay.
Old 09-11-2005, 09:14 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

Do you need a little engine with your rust? [8D] You putting a 5.4 in it?
Old 09-11-2005, 09:39 PM
mustang_montana
4th Gear Member

the s281 in my sig is going in there, well its in there now. andy is a mechanic, its his shop, and justin is a ford tech. so i would have to send out my current diablo chip and have that tuned for the return style injector rail? anyone know of somewhere besides saleen that sells gaskets for the supercharger to intake manifold? or the sc vacuum diagram? oh and i got my hands real dirty from grabbing tools and moving parts around [8D] yeah they dont really need me for anything more.

*old engine had 115k on it, new one supposedly has 17k, its all bolted up right now but we got the sc/intake off on acount of replacing the gaskets and injector rails.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:48 AM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Don't send it out. Get the car put on a dyno to have it dialed in properly. Find a shop that has a chasis dyno in your area. They will be able to burn your chip or you could go with a XCal2 flash tuner or Preditor tune. Trust me on this one. Unless you have the car put on the dyno with a wideband O2 hooked up to the car nobody could burn or email you a tune halfway decent, even if they are a tuning god. I'm sure any tuner would back me up on this. It will be well worth the money.

What fuel pump did you put in the car with the new set up?

Quick Reply: Beginning of swap (Pictures)