4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do you make your stang more aerodynamic and reduce coefficient drag?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Default How do you make your stang more aerodynamic and reduce coefficient drag?

Does anyone know how this can be done? What parts are needed? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05 AM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

I think the 03-04 Cobra bumper and hood might have a less drag coefficient. But there really is no need to do this unless you want to go super fast. (You don't have the power to do so)
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mineralpony
I think the 03-04 Cobra bumper and hood might have a less drag coefficient. But there really is no need to do this unless you want to go super fast. (You don't have the power to do so)
Not yet but 600-700rwhp should do the trick which is what I'm building up too. Anything else that comes to mind?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:34 AM
boduke0220
6th Gear Member

Bullitt side scoops, take the fake hood scoop off
Old 12-18-2011, 11:48 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

I think it is an interesting question.
What is the reason for wanting to reduce aero-drag?

Will these changes be for a DD car, or for a dedicated track car?

My initial thought is that you won't make any significant difference in drag unless you are traveling 100+mph for an extended period of time.

As mentioned, removal of the fake hood scoop would be a good first step. Removal of side mirrors. A rear spoiler designed to smooth out the air as it exits the rear trunk lid may help a little.

The underside of the car is probably the worst offender. It is hard to clean up the underside without significant effort. I would say the most practical method of reducing the drag under the car is keeping some of the air from passing under there to begin with. A lower front spoiler and side skirts might help a little.

It is probably easier to add more power than to go faster through drag reduction.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:59 AM
brent22
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
It is probably easier to add more power than to go faster through drag reduction.
+10000000

Like Trueblue said, lower front spoiler and side skirts. Possibly carbon fiber wind splitters even a full splitter to go under the car but at that point your talking alot of money...
Old 12-18-2011, 01:39 PM
mineralpony
2nd Gear Member

-Lower your car
-Wax your car lol. It makes the air go over the paint smoother
-The front of the car has a good bit of clearance so you need to make it so less air travels under the car. (Buy a chin splitter or a bumper that is low)
-lightweight wheels (not aerodynamics but less rotating mass)
-Duck tape the grille shut
Old 12-18-2011, 01:44 PM
JAX04
2nd Gear Member

What are you doing, standing mile stuff?
Old 12-18-2011, 01:48 PM
tj@steeda
3rd Gear Member

Hey Dragonus,

We made a functional street wing that will greatly improve the following in regards to good looks, effective high speed rear down force, improved stability and minimum wind drag.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-f...d-mustang.html

We also have the Cobr R Style front splitter. This redirects the flow of air to the side of the vehicle instead of under the vehicle.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...ustang-gt.html

Here is just a quick write up of our history and what we are about. Racing is in our blood, and we know weight and air restrictions are huge deterents of going fast!!

Over the past 20 years, Steeda Autosports production based equipped vehicles have won more championships, set more track records, and won more races than all of our competitors (Shelby, Saleen, and Roush) combined! Everyone at Steeda Autosports takes racing and high performance very seriously as it is our core DNA and our primary focus and motivation for continued success commitment to our customers.

Let me know if we can you to your goal of a finely tunes aerodynamic vehicle.

Thanks

TJ
Old 12-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
I think it is an interesting question.
What is the reason for wanting to reduce aero-drag?

Will these changes be for a DD car, or for a dedicated track car?

My initial thought is that you won't make any significant difference in drag unless you are traveling 100+mph for an extended period of time.

As mentioned, removal of the fake hood scoop would be a good first step. Removal of side mirrors. A rear spoiler designed to smooth out the air as it exits the rear trunk lid may help a little.

The underside of the car is probably the worst offender. It is hard to clean up the underside without significant effort. I would say the most practical method of reducing the drag under the car is keeping some of the air from passing under there to begin with. A lower front spoiler and side skirts might help a little.

It's going to be a DD that sees some track/drag strip. I want to do this route because it's a different approach that hardly anyone does. I want to be unique and don't mind saving up for pricier parts.

Quick Reply: How do you make your stang more aerodynamic and reduce coefficient drag?