4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

BBK Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Britdog15

Exclamation BBK Cold air intake

In have a 98 gt and i have the bbk cold air intake and it has a tube that leads into the passenger fender and has a heat shield but i wanted to know if there is another way to get more air up it and colder. Would duct work be able to get air up there? thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

If you are referring to some sort of "ram air" effect don't waste your time--it doesn't do anything at speeds under 228 mph--read more here...
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

if you decide to disregard cliff's findings (which i don't suggest) here is the DIY tutorial
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Pshhhhhht I don't know what u guys are talkin about the JLT is worth 12-15rwhp on a 2v, dyno proven................
Old 01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Britdog15

well i did heat wrap my intake like i did on my 97 turboed eclipse and i did that to the downpipe off the turbo and it all of the sudden started pushing 17 psi and was hittin the fuel cut like crazy so i wrapped the intake on the mustang. so i thought maybe if i brought air from outside when i moving that is cooler and less dense it would act as a turbo as in when you have cooler air the turbo runs better because the air is less dense then the warm air. just my thoughts about the ram air. I have it ran out into the fender and have a heat shield to try to block the heat from the engine bay. The only thing that i have concerns about is if water could make it up the duct work and possibly hit the filter because that would not be good. but thanks for the info from all that posted.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by Britdog15
well i did heat wrap my intake like i did on my 97 turboed eclipse and i did that to the downpipe off the turbo and it all of the sudden started pushing 17 psi and was hittin the fuel cut like crazy so i wrapped the intake on the mustang. so i thought maybe if i brought air from outside when i moving that is cooler and less dense it would act as a turbo as in when you have cooler air the turbo runs better because the air is less dense then the warm air. just my thoughts about the ram air. I have it ran out into the fender and have a heat shield to try to block the heat from the engine bay. The only thing that i have concerns about is if water could make it up the duct work and possibly hit the filter because that would not be good. but thanks for the info from all that posted.
Turbo vs NA, totally different beasts. Not only does a Turbo add heat under the hood but a Turbo compresses the air entering the intake. Since the turbo adds heat and the turbo snail will also transmit heat to the air passing through it, colder air is always a hugh bonus on them. On an NA car you won't see any gain by "wrapping" the intake.

And as stated, unfortuneatly our cars don't benefit from a Ram Air system until you reach way higher than typical speeds. The Air Intake, Throttle body, and Intake Manifold are usually way under utilized in the mustang and have a lot of leeway (flow) left before they become a bottleneck and need to be upgraded.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:12 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Turbo vs NA, totally different beasts. Not only does a Turbo add heat under the hood but a Turbo compresses the air entering the intake. Since the turbo adds heat and the turbo snail will also transmit heat to the air passing through it, colder air is always a hugh bonus on them. On an NA car you won't see any gain by "wrapping" the intake.

And as stated, unfortuneatly our cars don't benefit from a Ram Air system until you reach way higher than typical speeds. The Air Intake, Throttle body, and Intake Manifold are usually way under utilized in the mustang and have a lot of leeway (flow) left before they become a bottleneck and need to be upgraded.
^^^^This! And fyi, Cool/cold air is MORE dense than warm/hot air.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Pshhhhhht I don't know what u guys are talkin about the JLT is worth 12-15rwhp on a 2v, dyno proven................

Those are turbonator numbers my friend!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:21 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I heard you can snap magnets on your fuel line and get a 63% increase in MPG--or hook a bilge blower up to your intake and it's just like a real supercharger, but only $10.95.

Then there's always HHO. Combine 'em all and you'll be watching top fuel eliminators in the rear view mirror...
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by cliffyk
I heard you can snap magnets on your fuel line and get a 63% increase in MPG--or hook a bilge blower up to your intake and it's just like a real supercharger, but only $10.95.

Then there's always HHO. Combine 'em all and you'll be watching top fuel eliminators in the rear view mirror...
I like where your heads at Cliff.

Quick Reply: BBK Cold air intake