4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I NEED ADVICE on cutting springs!!! ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Crysta06

Default I NEED ADVICE on cutting springs!!! ASAP!

I have a 2001 v6 mustang convertible(i know im in the wrong section but i need all the help i can get). There is a mustang shop right by my house, they said they could cut my stock springs to lower my car for $120. but i have some questions... Will I need to get and extra stuff like new shocks or C/C Plates?? Will i have to get my front end allignment re done? Does this shorten my tread life on my tires? Will this improve my handling/keep it the same/ or make it worse? Will this make my car really bumpy? If all i want to do is cut the springs am I fine to do normal driving all the time, or should you only keep them like this for a short time??
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
sv650lex
2nd Gear Member

I cut 1 coil off mine and the ride stayed decent. You would need an alignment done. If your planning on changing you set up later this is not a bad route to go.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:08 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

You will need a alignment for sure. As far as ride quality it will probably decrease by cutting the springs. I know plenty of people who have done it and its all fine, just remember not to cut too much, and to cut equal amounts or your ride will never sit right again.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:53 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

Depending on how much of the spring they cut, the ride quality could be bumpy, or it could be decent. I would cut no more than 1 coil off the front and no more than 3/4 coil off the rear. I would also remove the front isolators. Your car will handle much better. That should give you around a 1" drop. You might need dampers or you might be fine with the stock ones... It all depends. CC plates won't be necessary if it drops it around an inch, but you will need an alignment.

I've cut springs and am currently running cut tokico springs up front.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Is the objective to simply reduce the amount of fender gap for aesthetic purposes, and the concern is about unintended consequences?

If basic aesthetics are the only reason you are wanting to cut the springs then you may be happy with the result. As mentioned, you should not plan to cut a lot off the springs or you will introduce new issues. You should not cut enough off the springs to need CC Plates, but you should definitely get an alignment done afterward.

If improved handling is a desired result from cutting the springs, I would strongly suggest buying aftermarket springs and struts/shocks to achieve the desired results. The free length and rate of the springs are designed for specific applications and the struts/shocks should be matched to the springs for optimal results.

I hate to be a killjoy (sorry KILLJOY), but in the long run, you would probably be much happier by spending a bit more money and getting components designed to do what you want.

My two cents...

GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:28 PM
Crysta06

thanks for the answers! it helped a lot!!! I am looking for the drop(but not to much to where i hit speed bumps) and also looking for some improved handling. I have pretty wide tires so my handling is pretty good just looking for a little better. Normally i would go with the best thing on the market but I am about to start college so money is getting tight, and i want to squeeze this and new duals in before i go.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:21 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

i ran cut stock springs on my gt for a bit. i dont think il do it again, il just buy a real set of lowering springs.

but why not do it yourself? its a fairly simple task removing springs and cutting them.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:33 PM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

$120 includes labor?? You may as well get some kind of lowering springs, like the cheap LRE's or eBay specials like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/DNA-BLUE-SUS...item2a18e9f249
Old 02-02-2012, 02:05 PM
grogan
3rd Gear Member

for 120 i would try for real aftermarkets and look at selling those v6 rears to a drag race guy. just my .02
Old 02-02-2012, 05:06 PM
hpwrestler220
6th Gear Member

That's always a great idea as suggested above. For $120 you might be able to pick up a used aftermarket set.

But with my cut springs the car handles much better then it ever did. And i have cut aftermarket springs!! When I had cut mach 1 rear springs in the car, omg that thing handled on rails -- but I cut too much and had to put my tokicos back in. After cutting the springs, i had much better handling, decent ride quality, and no nosedive upon heavy braking. For me it was totally worth it.

Some people love it, others don't. I did a LOT of research before cutting mine and I'm pretty happy with the results.

Quick Reply: I NEED ADVICE on cutting springs!!! ASAP!