4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Modding my 02' Gt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2005, 02:35 AM
gymrat2399

Default Modding my 02' Gt.

I have a 02 stock Gt and I am finally looking at doing some things to it (supercharge). I was just wondering what mods I would need to do first to supercharge my car. Do keep in mind my vehicle spends time on the road mostly on the highway so I would like to stay away from gears if all possible. I would like to keep my car drivable and not do damage to the vehicle by supercharging it. How much do you think it would cost to do all the necessary mods to supercharge my car, supercharge the car, and everything else necessary to get it ready for the road. Oh and by the way, i won't be taking my car to the track, I'm only doing this b/c I'm 19, in college and I just got a **** load of money from my scholarships and student loans.

Thanks,
Brian
Old 09-14-2005, 04:52 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Modding my 02' Gt.

"Mods" for supercharging would involve rebuilding the engine with forged rods, pistons, and a crankshaft if you plan on running boost levels above 10psi generally (or 450 flywheel HP). Most supercharger vendors offer kits that include everything you will need to change... Part of the list being: larger fuel injectors, more robust fuel system, more robust ignition system, larger MAF to match fuel injectors, possibly larger throttle body, and a few other intake-related things. Kenne bell sells a kit with all the stuff you'll need for an extra $300-$400 on top of the price of the blower, definitely worth getting. You'll also want to pick up subframe connectors to stiffen up your frame if you do decide to rebuild the engine and get more torque.

You need to ask yourself "why supercharge?" especially if you're not going to go to the track. You can get a nitrous kit from Zex, NOS, or NX for 1/5th or less the price of a supercharger and still pull the same power, plus it will be easier on your engine in general because it doesn't always have to deal with the increased power. If you go this route you'll still need the things listed above. Nitrous is dirt cheap, and a good power adder.

Nitrous will be around $1200 for a good kit with the extras (injectors etc), while a Kenne bell blower comes out to $5200, or more... a centrifugal blower (Vortech, ProCharger) will be a little less expensive. It would almost be wiser to go with the nitrous and spend money on things that will make it a little safer, and let you get this new power to the ground... a new braking system and some good tires. Even with the cost of a new brake system and new tires, nitrous will still be less expensive.
Old 09-14-2005, 06:53 AM
yellow02gt
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Modding my 02' Gt.

if you looking to mod your car do a little research on the fourms first, I'm sure you'll find everything you need becaused it's been asked already, over and over and over... and over. I don't mean to be mean of anything, just do a little research...