4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2003 GT 4.10 Gears Advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:00 PM
OneSik03

So I just called my auto shop that I use to do any major work on my car. They quoted me $500 dollars for the install and possibly a new pinion bearing. That doesn't even include parts beside the bearing. I personally think this sounds a little high because apparently install takes 5 hours. Not completely sold on this. Does it sound reasonable??
Old 02-07-2012, 06:26 PM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

you should try to shop around for something at or under $400. also, make sure you buy the install kit with all new bearings and seals, your differential will thank you in the long run. here's the kit i purchased, no different than the FRPP one, and it's the same brand (Motive) that makes FRPP gears: http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.html.

but dude you won't regret the 4.10's. i had similar concerns, but 1100 miles later, i freakin love them!! makes a daily drive much more pleasurable. i have not yet seen a change in mpg, but i havent had much time to track it either. no matter the mpg change, they are worth it!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 PM
tdcalhoun89
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by trailor
you should try to shop around for something at or under $400. also, make sure you buy the install kit with all new bearings and seals, your differential will thank you in the long run. here's the kit i purchased, no different than the FRPP one, and it's the same brand (Motive) that makes FRPP gears: http://www.americanmuscle.com/rearendrebuild.html.

but dude you won't regret the 4.10's. i had similar concerns, but 1100 miles later, i freakin love them!! makes a daily drive much more pleasurable. i have not yet seen a change in mpg, but i havent had much time to track it either. no matter the mpg change, they are worth it!
This ^

Once you learn to keep your foot out of the floor, you won't notice any difference in mpg.

4.10s FTW
Old 02-07-2012, 09:24 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Yup, $500 is too high. $350-$400 is about right most places.
Install is more like 2.5-3.0 hours tops, NOT 5 hours (even with a couple of shim changes to get backlash right on the money).

Be careful though, don't simply find a cheaper shop. They should have good experience with gear installs.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:06 PM
5sp04GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
Yup, $500 is too high. $350-$400 is about right most places.
Install is more like 2.5-3.0 hours tops, NOT 5 hours (even with a couple of shim changes to get backlash right on the money).

Be careful though, don't simply find a cheaper shop. They should have good experience with gear installs.
+1 I was quoted 375 by a very reputable shop locally and three hours. My other option was a ford dealer that quoted me 700 and said it would take all day.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:40 AM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

If the mpg drop approximately 1.5mpg with gears, then if you bought the SCT tuner, would that pretty much bring back that 1.5mpg loss? Ive read that the tuner increases gas mileage.

Also does the 4.10gears make the car feel like its dragging or more like its rolling easier (smoother). I never been in a car with 4.10's but hear soo many good things about the mod. thanks and sorry to threadjack.

The 4.10s certainly won't help the fuel mileage, but the amount of mileage drop shouldn't be too bad. The difference you see has a lot to do with how you drive. If you already drive it like you stole it, you won't see any difference. If you always drive it conservatively and try to get real good mileage, you will probably see a loss of around 1.25mpg - 1.5mpg. That is about the drop I saw with mostly town driving (some stop signs and lights, but not every half mile).

I say go for the 4.10. You won't regret it.
Old 02-17-2012, 07:44 AM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

If I understand your question right, the steeper gears would make it accelerate harder when on the gas and tend to engine brake slightly more when off the gas due to increased rpms. I don't really think you would notice anything other than much better acceleration.

The longer you wait before installing gears, the harder you will kick yourself later for waiting.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:20 AM
trailor
3rd Gear Member

The longer you wait before installing gears, the harder you will kick yourself later for waiting.
^^^ MAJOR +1 on that! I waited almost 20k miles and hate myself for it!
Old 02-17-2012, 07:05 PM
MyGt03
2nd Gear Member

I also dont want to thread jack, but how easy to install yourself? Im a fabricator by trade and good at following directions. Is changing the gears something the average gear head could do in a weekend? Possibly? With a buddy?

Also, my GT just turned 50k and has been puppy'd all its life. Is the bearing kit a must have?

Any special tools needed for the job? I have huge array of sockets in metric/SAE in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drives, air compressor, 1/2", 1/4" impacts, air ratchet, etc... But anything that the average Snap-On box wouldn't contain?

Not that it would be needed, but have steering wheel type pullers along with 2 and 3 jaw pullers in multiple sizes. I am pretty proud of my tool selection and will drop cash if a certain tool is needed. Love buying tools.

Guess its like when a women shops for clothes.

To the OP, are you mechanically inclined? Is it possible to do the swap yourself and save a butt load of money? Maybe we should wait till we get an answer...lol

Thanks guys.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:17 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

You could do it yourself if you had detailed instructions or a buddy with knowledge of how to do it.

You are probably pretty well covered on tools except for a Dial Indicator for measuring backlash.

Just my feeling on the bearings... I think it is foolish not to install new bearings and seals while the differential is apart. If you do these items now, you should have many years of trouble free operation. It would suck to have the diff apart now and have a seal leak in 6 months or a bearing start going. The diff would have to come apart again. The cost of the parts isn't that high. I say replace these parts now and then you'll have no worries in the future.

Good luck, and enjoy the gears!!!

Quick Reply: 2003 GT 4.10 Gears Advice