4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Going to blow my engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 12:01 AM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by pine9280
Idk about my fuel pump but i have 42lb injectors on a Ford racing fuel rail
42lb injectors wont do you much good if you dont have the pressure and flow to support em. everything is only as good as the weakest link in the chain.

who did the install? you might want to get in contact with them. I would figure whoever did it would know enough to install some sort of fuel upgrade like a boost-a-pump or 255lph fuel pump.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Gt04
4th Gear Member

Its all in the tune. If you have a good reputable tuner that knows his **** you should be fine. I've had my kb on my car for 15k miles now running over 410rwhp/430rwtq at 9#s of boost and had a vortech and a procharger prior to the kb both over 400rwhp/400rwtq running 10-12#s of boost for just over another 15k miles. Im still on the stock block for now with no issues besides blowing my clutch out in November. I am in the process of building my new motor atm though for when she finally gives. Im at 72k miles on the car now and just over 30k of those miles it has been blown and i drive the **** outta the car.

Last edited by Gt04; 03-10-2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Buddy I was in your EXACT SAME SHOES a few years ago. It's only now that I just got my block done and it's because a good deal came up my way. I didn't beat on it either that much until I went to the track in which case I would beat the living hell out of it but that was about 3 times a year. The rest was just normal driving around town and the highway. The only thing like the previous poster said was to upgrade your fuel pump. I'm not sure what pump yours came with but mines had a crappy svt focus fuel pump and I replaced it with a Ford gt fuel pump and it's been all kinds of awesome to me. If the car is done right without cutting any short cuts than you're ok. Remember, you have 3 factors to consider when building a ride but you can only have 2 of them. You have cost, reliability, and power. If you want something fast and cheap, it's not going to be reliable. If you want something fast and reliable, it's not going to be cheap. If you want something cheap and reliable, it's not going to be fast. Always keep this in mind when building. I chose power and reliability. This is why I've had the car supercharged for about 3 years now and it's still just as good as the first day I purchased it.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:57 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Dragonus18
Buddy I was in your EXACT SAME SHOES a few years ago. It's only now that I just got my block done and it's because a good deal came up my way. I didn't beat on it either that much until I went to the track in which case I would beat the living hell out of it but that was about 3 times a year. The rest was just normal driving around town and the highway. The only thing like the previous poster said was to upgrade your fuel pump. I'm not sure what pump yours came with but mines had a crappy svt focus fuel pump and I replaced it with a Ford gt fuel pump and it's been all kinds of awesome to me. If the car is done right without cutting any short cuts than you're ok. Remember, you have 3 factors to consider when building a ride but you can only have 2 of them. You have cost, reliability, and power. If you want something fast and cheap, it's not going to be reliable. If you want something fast and reliable, it's not going to be cheap. If you want something cheap and reliable, it's not going to be fast. Always keep this in mind when building. I chose power and reliability. This is why I've had the car supercharged for about 3 years now and it's still just as good as the first day I purchased it.
whats wrong with the focus pump? i never had a problem with it. either way the biggest limiting factor is the craptastic design of the GT returnless fuel system...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zero2005
whats wrong with the focus pump? i never had a problem with it. either way the biggest limiting factor is the craptastic design of the GT returnless fuel system...
The moment you go for more power you have to get rid if it. No room to grow.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:20 PM
zero2005
4th Gear Member

The moment you go for more power you have to get rid if it. No room to grow.
its fine for the limits of the stock block. then there's the option of the BAP.

the Returnless system itself is a joke unless your talking a double or tripple setup, and even then you need a tank with a sump inside it like the cobra tank or you need to keep it full.

which is why i went with external pumps and a return-fuel setup. now THAT is room to grow...
Old 03-12-2012, 09:44 PM
pine9280

Thanks for your response man...so things went well with you?
Old 03-12-2012, 10:14 PM
Dragonus18
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pine9280
Thanks for your response man...so things went well with you?
Things went excellent. I was very pleased and the stang was and still is VERY RELIABLE! If there is anything you're curious about feel free to message me. I'll help you out.