4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

From draw thru to blow thru

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 10:06 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Default From draw thru to blow thru

Hey guys, well quick rundown on what happened. I currently am running draw thru and was running a mini race bypass valve with no problems. I swapped to a mondo valve and now the car surges like crazy. I talked to Kevin of Samson's ford and he said that's the mondo is just pushing too much air right before my Maf which is located in my fender right where the hose from the valve is run....makes sense???

Now, for draw thru I already have a sct ba3000 and like I said I now have a vortech mondo valve. Just some questions...

I know prochargers valve has both a closed and open version, does the mondo valve also or can I just use my mondo valve that I was going to for draw thru as blow thru??

Can I use my ba3000 as a blow thru maf? I see guys running a slot style instead of something like my sct ba3000 meter such as the vmp setup...is there a reason for that? Basically, which maf would oh recommend using for my setup?

In regards to the actual setup, I searched a bunch and have a pretty good understanding as to how everything should go...please correct me of I'm wrong. So instead of having filter to maf to powerpipe in the fender, I'm going to just run filter right to powerpipe and get rid of the maf's location there (what should I use to connect the filter right to the powerpipe)? I figure since I used to have the hose recirculate to the powerpipe, I'll have to close this off. From what I have read, I'll be moving the mondo valve from where it used to be on my discharge piping and it will have to go on the piece of piping that goes from my headunit to the Intercooler ( does it matter which direction the valve faces, also where I used to have the large hose on the valve is there now just nothing there)?. Than it seems as though I have to join the maf on the discharge piping before the throttle body. I have my iat valve in the back of my plenum, should this be fine?

Sorry for the long post, but any answers or feedback or pictures would be appreciated.

Last edited by 97stanger; 03-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:58 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

when i was running a fmic'ed vortech, i was using a pmas blow through setup. id recommend a vmp but your maf will due on a pinch since tuning will be involved. you want the maf as close to the t/b as you can since it also reads air temps. you want the bov before the maf but you can vent it to the atmospher or the powerpipe.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:20 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

thanks for the info
Old 03-22-2012, 01:47 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I went with VMP slot style also as Justin (owner) said you'll have no problems with it pegging
Old 03-22-2012, 01:56 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

That's what I'm about to pull the trigger on I think Fred, something like this?

So would I need this maf and than just a flange welded to my current discharge piping to accept the new maf?:

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=193&parent=30

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...d=32&parent=31
Old 03-22-2012, 08:11 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

I went with this
http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index...=234&parent=99
Old 03-22-2012, 08:16 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Just curious Fred, why would I actually need the housing when I already have 3" piping? Cant I just pickup the aluminum flange, get it welded to my discharge piping, get the MAF and pigtail and be all set to go?
Old 03-23-2012, 05:38 AM
Chris98Gt
3rd Gear Member

Either way will work, just be sure when it gets welded that its welded on in the correct orientation to the airflow. The maf will only bolt to the flange a certain way if i remember correctly when I did mine and it does matter which way the air flows across the sensor. Also you can most likely leave the mondo valve where it is and just not put a hose on the discharge side of it and plug the hole in the powerpipe. My bov is after the intercooler on my setup.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 AM
97stanger
5th Gear Member

Hmm Chris you're the first person so far after I've been doing some research that seems to have their bov there. NO problems at all? And also it seems that I HAVE to mount the maf before my iac...correct?

Quick Reply: From draw thru to blow thru