4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

CAI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 08:48 PM
99texasGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Don't waste your money on neither.. What mods do you currently have?
NONE! My first 99. In the past i bought many (10+) fox body 5.0's. Bought, fixed, raced and sold just for a hobby.

I just got this 99 GT last week. All stock mines the cobra brakes and some sub frame connectors. So in starting fresh and budget friendly.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:50 PM
99texasGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 99 GT vert
like several have said above dont waste your money on a CAI just get a k&n filter and remove the snorkel that is on the end of the air box and call it good
Yep, removed the snorkel the day she came home.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:56 PM
99texasGT
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BLKSTANGER
Save your money and just remove the snorkel. Drop in a K&N filter.
So just for looks? Will a K&N give the same 7-10 hp gains? Or does the smooth, larger pipe have something to do with it? Yes that sounded funny and gayish but im being serious.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Rockford_Vzla

right now i'm waiting for the arrival of my CAI JLT

On americanmuscle.com they said tha gives you 30hps (with a good tune) of gain, i hate the look of the stock intake on the engine bay, besides, without the snorkel it hits everywhere and got my inner fender all scratch....
Old 04-03-2012, 01:59 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rockford_Vzla

On americanmuscle.com they said tha gives you 30hps (with a good tune) of gain, i hate the look of the stock intake on the engine bay, besides, without the snorkel it hits everywhere and got my inner fender all scratch....
lolz
Old 04-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

Stock air box

Old 04-03-2012, 09:57 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

To avoid all of the debate that has occurred on here numerous times regarding CAI, lets all just agree that he should not spend money on this mod at this time.

OP,
You would be FAR better off investing that money into gears as an early mod. It is not enough to cover the cost of gears, but gears will do more to change how hard your car pulls than all of the basic bolt-ons.

If you still plan to get a CAI, I strongly urge you to stay away from any of the metal inlet tubes. Do NOT be weary of CAI that relocate the filter into the fender well! Anybody that tells you to be worried about water locking the motor with a fender mounted filter, is simply telling you that they thing your are too stupid to know better than driving your car through standing water 2' deep.

Save up until you can do the gears! You won't be sorry
Old 04-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kugzgt
lolz
I was waiting on someone to call BS on the 30 hp cai thread! If we were to go off what the manufatures say I would have bought a turbonator, cai system (had one by the way) and electric supercharger years ago....That's a cool hundred HP for less than a 800 bucks!

Last edited by Soldier GT; 04-03-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 99texasGT
So im shopping around for cold air intakes. Does it really matter if i get a $300 one or a $50 one off ebay? Is it really personl preferance and looks or are the more expersive one's gona work better. Again, thanks for all your help and stang knowledge.

Tough call here. I mean we sell the AirAid CAI for $228...
http://www.uprproducts.com/airaid-fo...ed-filter.html

But the UPR CAI is only $72 with the MF.com discount and I can't say that you'd feel the difference between the AirAid and the UPR.
http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...-46-gt-96.html

If it was me, I'd buy the UPR CAI and put the other money towards an SCT Tuner.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Rockford_Vzla

I think you must have removed something other than the snorkel, as its removal would not cause anything to "hit everywhere" get your "inner fender all scratch".

Perhaps you removed the entire air box cover and turned the stock CAI into an HAI?

Good luck with that "30hps" gain they promised too...

Quick Reply: CAI?