4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

New Brakes. Need input on what to get for the best price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:18 AM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Default New Brakes. Need input on what to get for the best price?

I need new rotors and pads, and I am looking for some drilled and slotted rotors, and some brake pads with minimal brake dust, and good stopping power, and something that will last. Could someone please help me out. I found some from EBC, I like a lot but theyre 602$ for rotors and pads. Front and rear. I dont need new calipers... But I would love to have someones input... I want a good deal, but I also what the best stop. Help?
Old 04-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Shampue
3rd Gear Member

When I get my new brakes ready to install, I'm going with Hawk HPS Pads.

Check out Rockauto for some good prices
Old 04-04-2012, 02:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Drilled rotors are not needed or desirable...
Old 04-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Blood..... what are your goals here?

If you JUST want to stop well, save a whole lot of money and just read my brakes guide. If you want to look cool, but as The Cliffster mentioned, not really a performance gain, a set of cross-drilled OR slotted rotors are fine. They can crack under high heat (where the "not desireable" part comes into play), but should never get that hot on the street. If they DO get consistantly hot enough on the street to actually crack, you're not practicing proper braking technique and/or purchased cheap *** rotors.

Are you looking for performance or appearance?

Jazzer
Old 04-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Jazzer, I am looking for both. Performance is a main priority, I am pushing 450hp, I like to give it gas every once in a while in the city, then when some jack *** decides to jump out infront of me I like being able to stop without smashing his bumper. But at the same time, I dont bring this car to the track, I show it on weekends too... Its a beauty but its deadly. I love it, and only want whats best. Main thing I wanted for a while is slotted rotors, which if you think they're good I will go for these. I have heard a lot of good things from friends that work in the performance business. But I want looks too, gotta look good. I am also looking at these new High performance pads, with little to no brake dust, I hate the damn stuff it ruins my wheels. But Theres you're answer, I am just in the ball park for a daily driver, but a daily driver who likes to have fun every once in a while. Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Since you're already here tho, what is your professional opinion in lowering my car a little bit more? I want a more aggressive look... it has h&r lowering springs I believe, or eibach I cant remember, I havent been home to drive it in about 9 months... Hate the military... but anyway... what would you recommend to get that more agressive look and better performance out of it? I would love to be able to purchase eibach r2 coil-overs but definitely to much $$$! LOL I have a photo in my signature but heres a more recent one.

I dont have a picture from the other day, but I just had the front end repainted. Got the flat black mach 1 stripe custom painted, and rock chips filled in and had chips and stuff fixed. Looks amazing, I cant stand decals so the paint looks much better, and I had them go a little wider then the stock stripe. it looks good. really good.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:12 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Get high quality ceramic pads, they will not produce anywhere near as much dust as semi-metallic--especially those using iron powder. Bring a magnet with you and do not buy any pads that the magnet will grab (the pad material of course, not the backing plate).
Old 04-09-2012, 03:08 PM
timthegreat1
2nd Gear Member

^+1 ceramic
Old 04-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Blood.... what you propose is fine, but must remember that your brakes are ONLY as good as the tires you run. After all, improved brakes are really only going to be an improvement when the components get hot. If your tires don't hold the ground well, improved brakes will not be much good, no matter HOW much you spend or upgrade.

What make/model/size of tire are you currently running?

Jazzer
Old 04-10-2012, 04:07 PM
Blood
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jazzer The Cat
Blood.... what you propose is fine, but must remember that your brakes are ONLY as good as the tires you run. After all, improved brakes are really only going to be an improvement when the components get hot. If your tires don't hold the ground well, improved brakes will not be much good, no matter HOW much you spend or upgrade.

What make/model/size of tire are you currently running?

Jazzer
Im so mad at my tires, I cant afford them really... But the ones I want I have been recommended to get nitto 555 street radials. Which I am looking into, but I really really life the geforce tires from BF Goodrich.

Right now I have some type of racing tire from michellin, extremely hard, not soft at all, and they do not stick what-so-ever with my 4.10's.. I am running a 245/ /18 in the front and a 275/ /18 in the rear. :Sorry cant remember the middle number... I havent seen the car in months. I wanna go to a 295 or 285 in the rear. Would like to run it a bit bigger. Thank you. And no matter what right now I need new brakes. the rotors are warped.....

Quick Reply: New Brakes. Need input on what to get for the best price?