4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just got a 2004 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Ron505
2nd Gear Member

Congrats! Nice looking ride!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM
robvandam

Congrats! Good looking car!
Old 04-21-2012, 08:34 AM
MustangHEMIguy

Originally Posted by Photoshopeth
Thanks guys, I noticed it has the original battery, date code is 3k, which I think would make it October 2003. I read somewhere else that the mach 460 noise went away after changing the battery, although it still starts strong.

I think the hissing noise may be coming from the hydroboost, as it changes in volume as I push the brake pedal, and quiets down when warm.

Also just today as I was loading my 93 Bama tune, I noticed the driver power window randomly wouldn't go down, I've used it several times since I bought it, but it kept clicking. I went back a bit ago and it's working perfectly again. So not sure what's going on with it.

Other than that I'm quite happy with it, the dealer replaced the rodent chewed hood insulator pad with a nice fresh one.

FINALLY! Someone who knows what I went through 2 years ago. My window did the same thing after installing my 93Tune and randomly stopped. I don't know what it is about those Bama tunes, but it's gotta go hand in hand.
Old 04-21-2012, 08:41 AM
3vStang
2nd Gear Member

Congrats bro
Old 04-21-2012, 09:04 AM
JeremyB
1st Gear Member

The window would have nothing to do with the tune, it's directly wired in, mine do that occassionally, just randomly won't go down, after a few seconds they will go. I think it has something to do with the switches but I haven't really looked into it
Old 04-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Photoshopeth

Originally Posted by MustangHEMIguy
FINALLY! Someone who knows what I went through 2 years ago. My window did the same thing after installing my 93Tune and randomly stopped. I don't know what it is about those Bama tunes, but it's gotta go hand in hand.
Yeah the tune wouldn't effect the window, I was just trying to vent the car while waiting for the tune to load is all. I washed the car a day earlier maybe water got into the system.

One question I have is I need to replace the weatherstripping that runs up the driver door mirror area, as I hear a bunch of wind noise and water comes through in a laser wash. My v6 leaked on the passenger side, so I probably didn't notice wind noise as much. What kind of weatherstripping would this be considered, I can't really tell by looking at LMR or Ford Parts.

Last edited by Photoshopeth; 04-21-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:05 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The driver's side window "one-touch down" feature is controlled by the GEM (Generic Electronic Module). The GEM has no connection to the PCM, either directly or through the SCP bus, so a tune could not affect it's operation.

However flashing a tune with an ill-behaved flash tool could make the driver's side window, and perhaps other GEM controlled functions go goofy--here's why.

The GEM can be communicated with through the DLC (Data Link Connector, aka OBD2 port) on pin 7, the ISO-9141 protocol K-line.

The K-line supports bi-directional communication, so if the tuning tool were outputting a signal on pin 7 of the DLC, intended or random, it could cause the GEM to behave oddly ("goofy" being the technical term)--while the flash tool is connected. Once it has been unplugged from the DLC the GEM's ISO line is just floating, connected to nothing else.

Note in the above diagram that the RCM and ABS modules can also be communicated via the ISO-9141 protocol; this is possible because each module has it's own unique and addressable ID.

===========================================
Also, OP, you should never operate anything electrical while flashing a tune as the tuning tool must supply 18V to pin 13 of the DLC while loading the tune. It does this by a "charge pump" DC-to-DC converter make 18V from 12V. These converters can be temperamental with regard to their input voltage and the last thing you want is for that 18V level to drop while flashing the PCM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 PM
Fillerdust
2nd Gear Member

Very nice ride. Hopefully no mice chewed into the wiring or vacuum lines. Big upgrade for sure!
Old 04-25-2012, 06:28 PM
Photoshopeth

I'm in shock, about two hours ago, an illegal immigrant slammed into the back of me, didn't have license or insurance. Bumper, exhaust pipe and bumper foam is going to need replaced. I've had it for 2 weeks, FML

Old 04-25-2012, 06:39 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Ain't that a bit**! Are you getting any kind of compensation??

Quick Reply: Just got a 2004 GT