4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Just got a 2004 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Photoshopeth

Default Just got a 2004 GT

I just traded in my 2000 V6 towards a 30k mile excellent condition 04 GT today.

I'm having them replace the hood insulator pad which is strangely shredded, but underhood looks perfect otherwise (broken serpentine in the past?)

One thing that I have an issue with is, I hear a sucking/hissing noise when the engine is running, inside the car, kinda like the sound when you turn the a/c dials when the car is off, but happens even when air is off. Service couldn't figure it out, said it was probably caused by magnaflow mufflers. It has a k&n drop in but it still has stock silencer.

My last issue is, if I have the mach 460 on, engine off, while low volume/muted/quiet part, I hear a low thumping drone, and a low wind like roaring coming from the back, but it dramatically goes away a few seconds after you shut the system off, or music gets louder.

GT next to my first car of 6 years and 64,000 miles

It has Mach 1 grille delete and chin spoiler already on it.

Can't wait to load a Bama tune onto it.

Last edited by Photoshopeth; 04-11-2012 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Re: the Mach 460, there is a shielded audio line that runs along the outer driver's side footwell--and which has a connector known to get crapped up and electrically "noisy". Bang your foot as flatly as you can just aft of the dead pedal and see if the noise changes/goes away. If it does than that connector C264 is corroded and needs to be cleaned (or eliminated, take it out and solder the wires).

There should not be any sucking/hissing sound in the cabin, and have never heard a muffler create such a sound--make sure all the HVAC controls (all the airflow directional motors are vacuum operated) are working as they should...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the upgrade! It looks good! I can't give any better advise than cliffyk did there, just wanted to say 'good for you'...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:50 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

Nice looking car, and welcome to the forums! Take cliffyk's advice, he know's what he's talking about.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

car looks good! be careful with the new power!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:51 PM
Photoshopeth

Thanks guys, I noticed it has the original battery, date code is 3k, which I think would make it October 2003. I read somewhere else that the mach 460 noise went away after changing the battery, although it still starts strong.

I think the hissing noise may be coming from the hydroboost, as it changes in volume as I push the brake pedal, and quiets down when warm.

Also just today as I was loading my 93 Bama tune, I noticed the driver power window randomly wouldn't go down, I've used it several times since I bought it, but it kept clicking. I went back a bit ago and it's working perfectly again. So not sure what's going on with it.

Other than that I'm quite happy with it, the dealer replaced the rodent chewed hood insulator pad with a nice fresh one.

Last edited by Photoshopeth; 04-18-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Congrats on the ride!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:22 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Congrats on the ride and GL with it.What kind of mods are you planning to do?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:27 PM
badassmachine

Congratulations. Sweet Ride indeed. I just got my next project car this past weekend as well. Bought it out right because it is a real project but it should be ready by mustang week in SC. <br><br><br>THe car was a driving fire hazard. That is only the start of getting it back to stock electrical wise. TKO and twin disk coming this weekend while I wait for the strange rear components to come. I got the 4:10's before I had the car. I'll have a full write up and photo shoot of the garbage people did to the poor girl before I gut her out. It was so bad, I would press the brakes and strobe lights would come on. FSCKIN REALLY
Old 04-19-2012, 10:16 AM
Photoshopeth

Originally Posted by jeh4269
Congrats on the ride and GL with it.What kind of mods are you planning to do?
Well I want it to mainly stay stock, probably one of the only visual mods will be bumper inserts. Can't make up my mind if I want them in red (matches taillights/reflectors) or AM's stainless steel (matches emblems/calipers)

Next probably a K&N or Airraid intake. Although I've always been a flowmaster guy, I'm really happy with the sound of the Magnaflow's it has on it, so I'll probably keep them.

Maybe someday far down the road, I'll install a mach 1 style cdc shaker scoop.

Quick Reply: Just got a 2004 GT