4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what next?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 03:04 AM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

Default what next?

alright well i have all the basic bolt ons in my mod list i'll be install control arms soon but next summer when i get in from college me and my dad are going to do a big project on my car install it ourselves (if we can) hes pretty skilled at car stuff and we have tons of tools my budget is about $700 i was thinking cams or long tubes what do you guys think what kind of gains could i look for? what install would be easier? and if i do go w/cams what stage should i get this is my daily driver i go to the track about once a month or if you have any other suggestions and i do not want nitrous thanks for the help
Old 09-19-2005, 09:08 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

Default RE: what next?

mmmm.. i'd start feeding that mustang a bottle if you have $700.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:54 AM
DuckyGt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jkm1987

alright well i have all the basic bolt ons in my mod list i'll be install control arms soon but next summer when i get in from college me and my dad are going to do a big project on my car install it ourselves (if we can) hes pretty skilled at car stuff and we have tons of tools my budget is about $700 i was thinking cams or long tubes what do you guys think what kind of gains could i look for? what install would be easier? and if i do go w/cams what stage should i get this is my daily driver i go to the track about once a month or if you have any other suggestions and i do not want nitrous thanks for the help
lol the one think he said he didnt want we suggest haha. well its pretty much the truth tho for $700 you can get a nice setup and get more gains then you would out of cams and longtubes. If you do longtubes your going to have to replace your mid pipe with a shorter one so there is more money. IF you get cams its gonna make your daily a lil rough of a drive and your really not going to see much of gains w/o P&Ping your heads too. i say put that money into your suspension fund and do the whole thing for the future. upper and lower c/a's, subframes, shocks and struts, maybe a Moser 31 spline axle. thats what id to, you can have all the power in the world and if you cant get it to the ground your screwed.
Old 09-19-2005, 10:14 AM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

i still say you stop being a baby (or start) and get a bottle. what are you so afraid of? you afraid when you shout "NAWWWWWWZZZZ!!!", your car will blow up?
Old 09-19-2005, 12:43 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

The Cams/LT's are pretty much equal mods on a GT with as many mods as yours. The LT's will give you better peak HP numbers than say the cams will, but the cams will really flatten everything out through the powerband.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:56 PM
jkm1987
3rd Gear Member

yea my friend just put a 150 shot on his 98gt its pretty fast ive considered it but it just seems so expensive always having to fill up your bottle id kinda rather just have some more power all the time instead of just when i hit the button maybe nitrous would be the best route to go at this point ive heard you cant have a predator tuner and nitrous at the same time which would kinda bother me after paying $400 for the predator and tuning my a/f and all that w/it i think im leaning more toward longtubes i mean ive got a while to think about it but i was going to start putting some money aside for it but i dunno maybe i should go w/nitrous his 1/8th dropped by a second but he also had to put a stage 2 clutch it cuz the one he had was slipping
Old 09-19-2005, 02:13 PM
jchittick
3rd Gear Member

Forged internals and a KB?

Oh yeah, $700, nevermind.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:57 PM
josh_0351
3rd Gear Member

I’d go LT’s, Bro. I am pretty close to you mod-wise (and am probably not going to get juice, either), and will be adding a TB/Plenum in the next few months, followed by SLP LT’s early next year. Once there, I’m not sure – will have to decide if I want to get a S/C, upgrade internals, focus on suspension for a while, or none-of-the-above….
Old 09-19-2005, 03:17 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jkm1987

yea my friend just put a 150 shot on his 98gt its pretty fast ive considered it but it just seems so expensive always having to fill up your bottle id kinda rather just have some more power all the time instead of just when i hit the button maybe nitrous would be the best route to go at this point ive heard you cant have a predator tuner and nitrous at the same time which would kinda bother me after paying $400 for the predator and tuning my a/f and all that w/it i think im leaning more toward longtubes i mean ive got a while to think about it but i was going to start putting some money aside for it but i dunno maybe i should go w/nitrous his 1/8th dropped by a second but he also had to put a stage 2 clutch it cuz the one he had was slipping

you can still use it as long as you don't bump your timing. i have the NX kit and it requires no retarding the timing so i used it for shift points and fixing the speedo for my gears. a little more useful for me since i havean auto but the nitrous gains are way more superior than a few HP from bumping your timing etc.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:30 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

and what's this about expensive to refill the bottle? $40 to refill on average isn't a lot. it's not like you'll go through a bottle in a day or even a week. probably once a month. also, this isn't fast and the furious, you won't have to push a button when you want to use it. just open up the bottle and arm it and when you floor it, it'll kick on between 3000-5000 (or whatever you want it to, assuming you have the window switch and WOT).

it's your money.. i'm just tellin ya what you a better kick-in-the-pants power you can get for that $700.