4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

PLEASE HELP!!ANYONE???

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 12:52 PM
GT35thconvertable
2nd Gear Member

Default PLEASE HELP!!ANYONE???

I was going down the road today and kicked down on her and I smelled what seemed to be alittle antifreeze..well sure enough I lifted the hood and it was steaming like a freight train from somewhere behind the alternator. Seems like it could be a cracked intake im not sure. But it leaked all my anitfreeze out and now the GTs down. If anyone could give some advise on how to diagnose the problem or what it might be I would appreciate it so much.The motor still runs fine and everything to miss no chugging just a stream of steam coming from the front of the intake area somewhere....any advise reply please
Old 09-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: PLEASE HELP!!ANYONE???

Sounds like you cracked that plastic intake.

Let the car cool down completely, fill it with fluid and start it up and wait for the steam to come. It'll pretty much show you exactly where it's coming from..
Old 09-19-2005, 02:02 PM
sk8erdudex
2nd Gear Member

Welcome to the club https://mustangforums.com/m_579361/tm.htm You can tell where its from by reving the engine from under the hood and watching the the coolant shoot. Pay attention to the front most runner on the intake manfiold considering thats where the coolant runs through. I wouldn't worry too much considering you have a 99 GT. You will get reimbursed for all of this and you will live your happy life. Me on the other hand. I have to call and threaten legal action. I hate ford lol.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:41 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah, welcome to the club. Its happened to alot of us. I just got a new intake with reinforced alumnium thermostat support. Just buy a new one(not from ford!) and keep the recipt. Ford is supposed to pay you back. I got a letter in the mail the other day about it and i sent in my recipt and vechile info and im supposed to get remibersed. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:54 PM
GT35thconvertable
2nd Gear Member

Well your right took her down to the ford dealer and they put a tool where the antifreeze goes in and it squirted water everwhere right behind the alternator. So now i guess im waiting on this settlement to happen and get me a new intake..guess ill buy me a beater for the winter...or buy me a bbk or something who knows..Im guessing just about everone of us is havin the ****ty intake problem... well I have ran 125 shot of nitrous through that thing for 5 bottles now and no problem but when im just cruisin to the house it cracks to peices. and to think of all the hell i give it at the track and it cracks when im takin it easy. guess that means fords like to be driven hard....lol
Old 09-19-2005, 05:03 PM
GT35thconvertable
2nd Gear Member

so if I buy a new intake from say bbk I can send that recept to ford and them pay me......how does this deal work and who do you suggest I call to get this info..thanks alot man
Old 09-19-2005, 06:08 PM
GT35thconvertable
2nd Gear Member

ZW99GT what brand of intake did you buy and will ford pay you back for any intake you buy if it has to be replaced...?????
Old 09-19-2005, 06:56 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

It was an aftermarket replacement. Hedmon intakes or something. I dont know. I told my mechanic to get me one with a alumnium support and he got one and slapped it on. I wouldnt pay for a performance one, cuz fords only gonna pay back like 650 or something. I think he ordered it from advanced auto, so stop by and see what they got. intake was 280 and labor was like 200. Good luck
Old 09-20-2005, 08:55 AM
DIVER8374
4th Gear Member

^^^^^ Yeah they will pay back up to $750 from what I understand. If you have the reciept for the work. So I am planning on ordering the P-51 intake and installing it with a friend of mine that builds cars for a living and have him write me a reciept for the work and the price of a intake with the aluminum crossover and get what ever amount back from Ford. The way I see it is I can get the P-51 intake for about 1/2 price due to Fords mistake. This is my plan at least, But you do have to come up with the $1400 bucks first.
Old 09-20-2005, 07:10 PM
ZW99GT
6th Gear Member

After the debate on the p51 on the other thread, I do agree that the p51 would be a good buy if u got 750 back.