4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.
Old 10-27-2015, 11:22 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrain
Print Wikipost

Replacing alternator...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:15 PM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

Default Replacing alternator...

So my alternator went this morning, i wanna replace it myself so before i go ahead i wanna just make sure I have this right:

First turn belt tensioner counter clockwise to loosen belt and remove from alternator pulley

then disconnect alternator cable and loosen the bolts and remove the alternator

put new one one reconnect and then replace belt and tighten tensioner

that all sound right?
Old 05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by djd2392
So my alternator went this morning, i wanna replace it myself so before i go ahead i wanna just make sure I have this right:

First turn belt tensioner counter clockwise to loosen belt and remove from alternator pulley
Correct, except that it is a generator not an alternator;

(from the 2003 shop manual)

then disconnect alternator cable and loosen the bolts and remove the alternator
You need to remove the bolts, not just loosen them--also see above re: alternator vs, generator;

put new one one reconnect and then replace belt and tighten tensioner
Bingo...

that all sound right?
Yup...
Old 05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

I read you should disconnect the battery terminal before doing any work on a vehicle. Not sure how important this would be in a simple replacement here, but 90% if the things i've seen, remove neg/pos first.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Originally Posted by djd2392

Clockwise, not counter clockwise. The rest sounds accurate. When you get to the bottom two bolts just loosen then a little bit then you can pull the alternator/generator straight up; i.e. the two bolts do not have to be removed.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
I read you should disconnect the battery terminal before doing any work on a vehicle. Not sure how important this would be in a simple replacement here, but 90% if the things i've seen, remove neg/pos first.
110% Correct only( + )will get the job done.Very important to do this on any work you do on a car.
No need to disconnect both terminals.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The negative terminal should be disconnected first a this renders the positive terminal divorced from any relationship to "ground". This is such second nature to me when fussing with anything electrical--on any vehicle, for the last 55 years--that I do not even think about it as being a required step.

The tensioner is indeed turned clockwise to relieve the tension--another of those things so blatantly obvious I have never bothered to commit the detail to memory...
Old 05-18-2012, 07:51 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Calling it an alternator, although can be argued it is the incorrect term, is an acceptable way to describe that rotating thingymabob that generates 12vt. power for your car

Typically, the "genalternator" comes with its own pully and no need to swap your existing one. You may have changed the pully for a different diameter, on your existing one, but is a fairly hardcore thing to do for a couple reasons. FWIW... this device can be spun in either direction with no output change whatever (cheaper ones may not hold up at higher RPM's going in reverse direction). If flipping to the opposite direction, it is best to remove the pully and apply some thread locker and re-install it to proper specs. It could possibly be spun off under high-loads. The internal cooling fan will not be as efficient, but will work fine.

As for replacement, if you are running lots of additional electrical load on your system, you may consider a high-output one. The later model cars tend to have more electrical items in the attempt to save fuel mileage. For example, the '12 Mustang has an electric steering pump. Funny thing is, that ultimately, the fuel is the only power source for the car, so wonder how much fuel it actually saves... dunno

Jazzer
Old 05-18-2012, 10:14 AM
djd2392
2nd Gear Member

it was a painless procedure. Had my neighbor hold it up while i bolted it back in but thats about it. Everything went well
Old 05-18-2012, 11:30 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Good job. Agree very simple task. If your looking for a challenge....throw some long tube headers on it and put the locking header bolts and caps on after with stock k member. That should measure up.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Originally Posted by disposablehero27
Good job. Agree very simple task. If your looking for a challenge....throw some long tube headers on it and put the locking header bolts and caps on after with stock k member. That should measure up.
F that sh*t lol

I will never do that with the stock K ever again.

Quick Reply: Replacing alternator...