4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Radiator cap is vomiting fluid..

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 07:18 PM
ayegal23

Default Radiator cap is vomiting fluid..

I have a 99 GT 4.6. Today I decided to stop and get some A/C coolant and fill him up. Hes been blowing warmer air lately and I have a small leak somewhere so I have to refill every 6 months or so..anyway.. while my car was running idle with the A/C full blast and I was putting new A/C coolant in.. my radiator started volcanic erupting radiator fluid.. it was a fountain of radiator vomit and smoke.. terribly scary.. Why would my car overheat while idle with the A/C on? When it stopped hemorrhaging fluid I turned my key and noticed that the heat gauge was almost to the red..I havent tried to start it since.. its been a couple hours at least.. could I have done horrible damage? I got a new fan a couple months back.. I did notice it wasnt on when I popped my hood.. could it have gone out again?

Thanks guys..
Old 06-16-2012, 09:33 PM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

If you had the A/C on full blast and the fan wasn't on then your fan is definitely messed up.
Old 06-16-2012, 11:18 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

So you were topping off the refrigerant when this happened? Its possible you had a bum fan, or bad connection...unfortunately, if you let it go hot for any extended period of time I wouldnt be too surprised if you blew out a head gasket..You will need to check for this when you get it running again.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:14 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

You might get lucky and didn't hurt anything, but I am willing to bet that you warped a head. Sounds like the fan went out on you.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 AM
ayegal23

Well Im taking it to the shop today.. keep your fingers crossed for me. It only got this hot 1 time and I immediately shut the engine off.. hopefully I didnt cause any damage. I just got my gaskets and intake manifold replaced in January and THAT was awful to say the least. Ill let you know what happens in case anybody is interested lol. Thanks for the heads up on what could happen.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 AM
ayegal23

So turns out that the after market fan the shop put in a couple months ago was too small to keep my car cool when idle and now they're installing a second fan to run in tandem with the 1st....*sigh*
Old 06-17-2012, 11:40 AM
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member

I would never go back to that shop again. Why didnt they just put an OE replacement in?
Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 PM
stevednmc
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 1998Slow 'Stang
I would never go back to that shop again. Why didnt they just put an OE replacement in?
No kidding! Not like its hard to find one.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:50 PM
ayegal23

Agreed about going back.. Im too mad. I took it to them the 1st time because it was a sunday night and I needed to get to work the next day. The got the new fan in and I was out the door.. I took it back because it was only 2 months ago and I assumed (*** out of you and me) they would fix it under warranty or something.. I asked why they chose to put a lesser fan in and they basically acted like it was my choice.. well.. it wasnt.. I had no hand in choosing that fan. They said the electric fans are more efficient and that it should have been an OEM comparable piece. They also said that beacuse my car is old (its a 99 with 135k miles) that my engine is just running hotter than a younger engine.. whatever.. either way.. this better be fixed or heads will roll!
Old 06-25-2012, 05:59 PM
ayegal23

So.. its not fixed.. Saturday I was out running errands and while in the drivethru getting food it started climbing to the red line.. once I started driving home it went back to cool.. I called the place today that was supposed to fix it and they said bring it in tomorrow for another look and it will be fixed for free with either a new fan (not likely because I have 2 brand new ones now..) or if misdiagnosed it will be fixed.. When I got home from work I let him run for 10 mins or so until he just started to overheat.. the ac goes from cold to cool to warm to hot and then it starts to overheat.. Anyway.. just as it started to climb I turned it off popped the hood and noticed smoke coming from the ac compressor.. could a bad ac compressor cause my car to overheat??

Quick Reply: Radiator cap is vomiting fluid..