4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Brake pulsing

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:34 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Default Brake pulsing

So this has been driving me crazy. On and off I have been getting brake pulsing/steering wobble but only under light to moderate braking and only sometimes. I replaced pads and rotors in the front and the wheel bearings are new. There is no play in the front wheels as if a ball joint was going bad and the lower ones are fairly new anyway. If you guys can give me something else to check out it would be much appreciated.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:22 PM
EddyG
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by swarthyfellow
So this has been driving me crazy. On and off I have been getting brake pulsing/steering wobble but only under light to moderate braking and only sometimes. I replaced pads and rotors in the front and the wheel bearings are new. There is no play in the front wheels as if a ball joint was going bad and the lower ones are fairly new anyway. If you guys can give me something else to check out it would be much appreciated.
shaking in the steering wheel while braking is front rotors

shaking in the brake pedal, while braking is the rear rotors
Old 08-08-2012, 08:32 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

well its in the wheel.... and they are brand new rotors less than 4k and it was happening before i replaced them too. I was thinking it was the alignment but that also didn't help..... forgot to mention that before.

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:56 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Do you have ABS brakes? If so, what are the tire diameters of ALL four wheels? Be VERY specific on the sizes and include all three numbers please.

Jazzer
Old 08-09-2012, 10:13 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

The abs does not work anymore.... the rear sensors are not installed.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Has the big fuse (50 amp, I think) been pulled from the ABS modulator? If not, it will STILL try to work and might be at issue here.

Jazzer
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I have removed that one and for the record its a 60 amp.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

At this point it must be the alignment, but i'm still skeptical as it was doing it before i had a professional alignment done and after I made changes to it. I made a tweak last night and it help but only under 50 mph. I'm going to try to get it done again professionally and see if that helps. Has anyone has this kind of an issue from an alignment problem before?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

new rotors can still be out of spec in terms of trueness/runout or the hub could have crud that would cause the rotor to not sit perfectly flat. Only way to check this is to either take the rotor off and steel wire brush the hub and check for any sufrace bumps, or take the car to a shop that can turn the rotors ON the car.

This type of turning will correct any out of true/runout from the rotors and/or hub. You can check for trueness yourself by buying a guage designed to check it.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/automotive/...r_runout.shtml

I chased a similar issue on my 08. My wobble was only on decel with light to moderate braking and only at a certain speed range (30-35 mph). Turning the rotors while on the car finally fixed it but only after I figured it out by buying my own guage to check.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:07 PM
swarthyfellow
3rd Gear Member

I have checked for any debris or bumps between the rotor and wheel hub.. visually its clean. I'll have to take it apart and double check with a caliper.

Quick Reply: Brake pulsing