4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vibration after Clutch Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:08 AM
techno
1st Gear Member

Default Vibration after Clutch Install

I just had a new throughout bearing clutch and fly wheel installed.
At idle the car has a slight vibration. If I rev the engine the vibration gets worse. could the flywheel be out of balance?
What else could be the issue?
Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by techno
I just had a new throughout bearing clutch and fly wheel installed.
At idle the car has a slight vibration. If I rev the engine the vibration gets worse. could the flywheel be out of balance?
What else could be the issue?
Yes, it could also be that the flywheel was not fitted properly (not torqued properly or canted) and/or the pressure plate assembly is out of balance and/or not torqued/mounted.

Or, less likely, that the pilot bearing is shot (was that replaced?).
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 AM
techno
1st Gear Member

Does the flywheel only go on one way with the bolt pattern? Is it possible that it is 180deg off pattern?

My mechanic is going to drop the trans Friday to look at what could be the cause.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:32 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Does the flywheel only go on one way with the bolt pattern? Is it possible that it is 180deg off pattern?

My mechanic is going to drop the trans Friday to look at what could be the cause.
I'm pretty sure the bolt holes on the flywheel are spaced in a manner that it only goes on one way. But I'm with cliffy sounds like its not torqued correctly or the pilot bearing is smoked.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The holes are evenly spaced about the bolts circle there is no "right or wrong" mounting, just the one there is...
Old 09-10-2012, 08:33 PM
techno
1st Gear Member

Here's where i am at to date. Pulled the new clutch and pplate out and replaced it with ford oem. This made a huge difference in minimizing the harshness of the vibration but it is still there. In neutral at 1000 rpm it can be felt the most. between 1kand2k it goes away but can be felt again at cruising speed slightly. After reading post after post i am at a loss. My mechanic wants to try replacing the harmonic ballancer next but i don't think that is going to make a diffenrence. Pilot bearing is new and the fw torque checked. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to ruin the engine.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:31 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

It could be the balancer, but it could be a motor or trans mount as well, or a bunch of other stuff for that matter. My next question when you removed the driveshaft did u scribe a mark on the pinion flange on the rear end, and reinstall the driveshaft in the same position?
Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM
techno
1st Gear Member

The car vibrates even sitting in neutral without anything engaged. That should rule out any issue with the driveshaft. Transmount is fine not sure about motor mounts. Mechanic suggested replacing the damper. The more i search for an answer the more i am finding out that i could spend thousands replacing parts trying to track this down. I may just have to live with it for now.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:40 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Check both of the mounts. The fact you just had a clutch replaced probably put extra stress on one of them and it finally gave up the ghost. If the flywheel check comes up without any concerns and the shaft was appropriatly marked and resinstalled It wouldn't hurt to replace the mounts. They are cheap enough. Do not install Polyurethane ones, they just increase NVH on a DD.