4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

03-04 Cobra or 02 GT Mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 04:15 PM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

Default 03-04 Cobra or 02 GT Mods

Hey guys. I have an '02 GT 'Vert. I absolutely love this car, and I have just recently paid it off! I bought it used in '08, and right now it has ~98K miles. I am saving for my next venture but do not know what I want to do. My current GT has the usual bolt-ons, CAI, Catback, Short-throw shifter, and SCT Flash tune. I very seldom make it to the track and am not here to make 800 RWHP. I definitely bought it for the weekend cruising convertible, but I want some more HP, lower stance, and more exhaust sound. I am either going to modify my current GT or purchase an 03-04 Cobra 'vert. If i buy the cobra I would look for something that has some mods with low miles, anything less than 40K miles.

If I modify my GT I would do cams, headers, suspension, wheels, and fresh paint. Not to mention at that point I would need clutch and upgrade the brakes. Is it worth the time and money to modify a GT with 100K miles? The motor is still very tight and doesn't burn a drop of oil, but I don't want to pour lots of money into something that is on its way out.

If I bought a Cobra I would have payments, but it would have the look and extra power that I am looking to add-on to my current GT. I know that it would cost me more to buy a cobra than to just modify my car.

Thanks for reading, I look forward to hearing your opinions!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I would go with the Cobra. Even with the mods that you will be adding (cams and headers) you want see a huge jump in RWHP gains, trust me on that one...Also if you plan on re-painting your car I would most def go with the Cobra. I guess the down side would be having payments but even you said it best "If I bought a Cobra I would have payments, but it would have the look and extra power that I am looking to add-on to my current GT. GL and you only live once my man!

Last edited by Soldier GT; 08-31-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:37 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

I agree with soldier, I would go with a cobra if I could
Old 09-01-2012, 11:23 AM
BrazenStang
3rd Gear Member

I appreciaye the feedback. If i was going to do forced induction, would that change your thoughts?
Old 09-01-2012, 11:41 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

Hi, I would get the Cobra too if I were making your decision. If money is tight though, you might want to check your insurance rates. Also, there is a white cobra vert for sale on Ebay in the DC area that seems like a really good deal (too good maybe?) so you might want to take a look.
Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:44 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

FI would be a nice step. A blower and some suspenion mods will reeeeeally wake up your GT.
I'd look at it this way. How much will the Cobra cost you? Take that amount and mod the current GT. Would you be happy with it? Plus you get to say you build your car and it will curb the 'mod bug' so many of us have.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:45 AM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Ehh, it all depends on what you want, personally i would still go cobra. If you were to go forced induction you're gonna be maxing the 2v out where the cobra can get with bolt ons. So the cobra has tons more potential, but it all depends on if you want payments
Old 09-01-2012, 02:52 PM
MykesGt
1st Gear Member

Sounds like you have talked yourself into the Cobra. Modding the Gt will be a money pit to get up the standards that the Cobra is already at. I like moding my car and can do most of the work myself so I would keep it personally. But like the others said if you want something fast right now then just go for the Cobra.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:03 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

I still say keep the GT. You already said you aren't after gobs of power...so who cares what the potential of the Cobra is if you aren't going to use it. The GT sounds like it will meet you power needs much cheaper than having to by a new car - not to mention you know your GT. Who knows what issues can turn up with getting a used car without truely knowing it's history.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM
MCxQubed
5th Gear Member

Why would someone keep their gt if theyre gonna supercharge it, if you were to buy a cobra you're gonna get an all around better car, more potential, safer setup, less miles, better suspension, and a lower mile car. Again that's if you wouldn't mind the payments

Quick Reply: 03-04 Cobra or 02 GT Mods