4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

going nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:57 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Default going nitrous?

hey all, After posts and research, ive probably found a solution to my problem. i want more power but will never be able to use the power i want since i dont really track my car, its just street. Im leaning away from s/c and turbo because of costs as well. Anyways, maybe running a 75 or 100 shot would be good enough to put a smile on my face once in a while. Even just knowing the power is there should be good! haha

Anyways, Who here runs nitro and could give me some pro's/con's? what about motor reliability with nitro?

Also what EXACTLY do i need if i were to look at say a zex wet kit from American Muscle? Please include all gauges, and whatever i would need to safely run it in the car.

If someone could also explain the process of how to get it to spray at a certain rpm that would be good. And last, Is this a good idea i have here?

and is it smart to get a nitro kit for some quick power considering i dont want to put stress on the motor all the time with FI?

Thanks, i appreciate the help and knowledge.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
hey all, After posts and research, ive probably found a solution to my problem. i want more power but will never be able to use the power i want since i dont really track my car, its just street. Im leaning away from s/c and turbo because of costs as well. Anyways, maybe running a 75 or 100 shot would be good enough to put a smile on my face once in a while. Even just knowing the power is there should be good! haha

Anyways, Who here runs nitro and could give me some pro's/con's? what about motor reliability with nitro?

Also what EXACTLY do i need if i were to look at say a zex wet kit from American Muscle? Please include all gauges, and whatever i would need to safely run it in the car.

If someone could also explain the process of how to get it to spray at a certain rpm that would be good. And last, Is this a good idea i have here?

and is it smart to get a nitro kit for some quick power considering i dont want to put stress on the motor all the time with FI?

Thanks, i appreciate the help and knowledge.
xx10Gt,

It sounds like you're looking for a nice power increase. I can definitely clear up a few things for you!

Your first questions were the pros/cons and reliability of nitrous. Some of the pros of nitrous are instant power and the kit is very affordable in comparison to other forums of FI! A few cons are the cost of having to fill the bottle regularly, as well as keeping the bottle heated and having to open it (We sell a bottle heater and a remote valve opener).

Your second question was, Can you make it spray at a certain RPM? Yes the kit comes with a WOT switch that only sprays at wide open throttle. If you want to narrow that down to an exact RPM as well, we sell an RPM activated window switch that you can program what RPMs to trigger and turn of the nitrous.

As far as reliability goes with nitrous, you'll be fine. I recommend a wet system so that you have added fuel. Make sure that you get a custom tune for nitrous so that they pull the right amount of timing! Finally, on a 3V 05-10 GT we never recommend going above a 100 shot without changing the fuel system further. I think you'd be really happy with a 75-100 shot, that's the most common setup we deal with!

I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. We have all of the parts in stock and our tuners know nitrous on your 3V really well!

-Dan
Old 10-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Hey Dan I think this is for his New Edge GT.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:02 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by AMDanBailer
xx10Gt,

It sounds like you're looking for a nice power increase. I can definitely clear up a few things for you!

Your first questions were the pros/cons and reliability of nitrous. Some of the pros of nitrous are instant power and the kit is very affordable in comparison to other forums of FI! A few cons are the cost of having to fill the bottle regularly, as well as keeping the bottle heated and having to open it (We sell a bottle heater and a remote valve opener).

Your second question was, Can you make it spray at a certain RPM? Yes the kit comes with a WOT switch that only sprays at wide open throttle. If you want to narrow that down to an exact RPM as well, we sell an RPM activated window switch that you can program what RPMs to trigger and turn of the nitrous.

As far as reliability goes with nitrous, you'll be fine. I recommend a wet system so that you have added fuel. Make sure that you get a custom tune for nitrous so that they pull the right amount of timing! Finally, on a 3V 05-10 GT we never recommend going above a 100 shot without changing the fuel system further. I think you'd be really happy with a 75-100 shot, that's the most common setup we deal with!

I hope this helps, if you have any questions feel free to hit me up. We have all of the parts in stock and our tuners know nitrous on your 3V really well!

-Dan
Yes it is for my '03 gt, but anyways great info! As far as heating the bottle and opening the bottle how does that work?

How does the zex kit compare to the nx system?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:53 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Soldier GT
Hey Dan I think this is for his New Edge GT.
yeah thats what i meant. haha
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Convex
2nd Gear Member

What kind of mods do you have on your New Edge? if you want a 50 shot of NOS all the time then look into some 4:10 rear gears.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:01 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

ive steered away from nos. im leaning towards a p1sc instead for some decent boost actually
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 PM
dwtjr3
5th Gear Member

Sound like u r struggling to make a decision with your last few threads you put up.

Myself as well as many members on here agree that nitrous is not ideal for a street only car.

As said n the last thread the centri will be the cheapest form of reliable hp.

They can be bought for cheap.

Imho nitrous doesn't belong on the streets, strip only.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:15 AM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by dwtjr3
Sound like u r struggling to make a decision with your last few threads you put up.

Myself as well as many members on here agree that nitrous is not ideal for a street only car.

As said n the last thread the centri will be the cheapest form of reliable hp.

They can be bought for cheap.

Imho nitrous doesn't belong on the streets, strip only.
not considering nos anymore. Going to go LT's and full exhaust, tune, cai (i know not a gain really but we all have them lets face it ), 3.73's, CMS stage II cams and then see where im at. hopefully around ~300rwhp. Then slap on a ps1c at a future date
Old 10-21-2012, 04:36 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
not considering nos anymore. Going to go LT's and full exhaust, tune, cai (i know not a gain really but we all have them lets face it ), 3.73's, CMS stage II cams and then see where im at. hopefully around ~300rwhp. Then slap on a ps1c at a future date
You still will not hit 300 with those planned mods...

Quick Reply: going nitrous?