4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

which o/r x pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:38 AM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

Default which o/r x pipe?

i am going to buy and x pipe soon and i am just wondering if there is really a difference in them if i get a off road one? i was looking at a dr gas x pipe but if they are all the same i will just buy the cheapest. i want to also get a magnaflow exhaust. where is the best place to buy this stuff? thanks.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Emann0007
5th Gear Member

Default RE: which o/r x pipe?

there are subtle differences in how the pipes cross each other. I think the Dr. Gas pipes bend in toward each other and they just remove the sides of the pipes and weld them together (not and actual crossing of the pipes) BBK, and bassani also. where as a magnaflow X acutually crosses the pipes. As for how that affects performance I couldn't really tell ya, just seems like it wouldn't scavenge as well.
Old 09-27-2005, 07:37 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Before you decide on a mid pipe, what kind of sound are you looking for? A deeper tone, or a higher tone? An x will give you a higher pitched louder sound kinda like a nascar. An H will give you a lower muscular tone. An o/r x will be pretty loud though.
Go to www.mustangexhaust.com and check out some of the sound clips to give you kinda of an idea what your gonna get.
By the way, you fix your car from stalling yet?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:24 PM
jrock
1st Gear Member

i have a bbk x-pipe and it sounds great. i put flowmasters on it too so its loud as hell. my old 5.0 had an h-pipe with flowmasters and it was deeper. personally i like the x-pipe better, sounds more like a nascar as said above
Old 09-27-2005, 08:29 PM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

i have gone to the site and like the way the dr gas o/r x pipe sounds with the magnaflow exhaust and longtubes. i think i want it to sound similar. my dad to his friend who is mechanic and he said that my car is stalling becaus the speed sensor is unplugged. he said the computer thinks that the car is not moving when it is moving. so he thinks maybe the computer isnt giving my car enough gas or to much or something.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:41 PM
jrock
1st Gear Member

wrong thread dude about the stall, there is a sticky on it in the top of this forum
Old 09-27-2005, 08:49 PM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

Before you decide on a mid pipe, what kind of sound are you looking for? A deeper tone, or a higher tone? An x will give you a higher pitched louder sound kinda like a nascar. An H will give you a lower muscular tone. An o/r x will be pretty loud though.
Go to www.mustangexhaust.com and check out some of the sound clips to give you kinda of an idea what your gonna get.
By the way, you fix your car from stalling yet?
i was responding to this.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:55 PM
jrock
1st Gear Member

mt bad bro
Old 09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Emann0007

there are subtle differences in how the pipes cross each other. I think the Dr. Gas pipes bend in toward each other and they just remove the sides of the pipes and weld them together (not and actual crossing of the pipes) BBK, and bassani also. where as a magnaflow X acutually crosses the pipes. As for how that affects performance I couldn't really tell ya, just seems like it wouldn't scavenge as well.

The way the X pipe performs better over the H pipe is that the X pipe design allows the gases from each bank of the engine to flow through the X and take the path of least resistance thus reducing back pressure and allowing the gases to flow faster, whereas with the H pipe it has to be forced down one pipe per bank with no option for a path of least resistance. Therefore the X does in fact peforme better than the H pipe. Albeit a small advantage, but any advantage with a 2V 4.6 is a good one.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:00 PM
ajspellm
2nd Gear Member

where the best place to buy my magnaflow cat back and a o/r x pipe? also is there a really big difference between the magnaflow catback and the magnapack catback? i want my to be loud at idle and louder as it goes but i want it to sound good. is the magnapack with a o/r x pipe for me?

Quick Reply: which o/r x pipe?