4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What would cause my engine to slightly miss like this at low rpm?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Big_Jim

For what its worth, A COP and a Coil Pack are the same thing. Instead of your car having a distributor and wires, it has individual Coils over the Plug.

Have you tried taking the COP from cyl 1 and swapping it with a different cyl? If the COP from cyl 1 produces the same misfire code on another cyl, I'd replace that COP.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:44 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

Last night I did a OBDII scan on my car and said code 301 (misfire cylinder 1) and 316 (misfire on startup).

So I went to the part store and bought a new ignition coil on plug.

I first replaced that last spark plug that I couldn't get to earlier. I didn't have to take off the fuel rail. I just bought a pivotal extension and was able to change out that last plug.

Then I pulled off the old ignition coil on cylinder 1 (passenger side nearest bumper). I put the new one on but it was an after market part and didn't want to go on correctly (the snap on electrical part of the coil was 180 degrees parallel to where you bolt it to the base and was in the way of the injector). So I moved an old working coil from the other side, the drivers side nearest the front bumper to the passender side nearest front bumper and then put the new coil on the drivers side nearest front bumper plug since there would be no injector in the way.

Anyways I hope that made sense. After that I let the car warm up and man it had a lot more power and no sputtering. This morning I drove mostly highway miles back to work about 50 miles and parked my car and tested with the obdII reader. It said code 301 and 316. But on the way to work it was driving fine with no missing or sputtering.

Do you think that is enough time for the code to clear itself or should I clear the code with the reader and wait to see if it shows back up?

Last edited by sfmustang; 11-09-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:06 PM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

Well its been a few days now driving back and forth to work. 40 miles one way. I don't have any sputtering but it just seems like the engine isn't hitting on all 8 cylinders. Like a slight gurgle when acceleration. I checked for engine codes and I'm still getting 301 (cylinder 1 misfire) and 316 (misfire on startup). Driving me nuts. I want her to purr, not prrrgrrrrgrrr.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:07 PM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

On a positive note, I've cut off the mufflers. Vroom, vroom!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

I reset the computer by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for 20 minutes.
I then let it warm up for a few minutes, then turned on the AC for 5 minutes, then drove around.

I then stopped at the part store and bought a K&N air filter for 50 dollars. My old air filter was very much needing a replacement.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:26 AM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

This morning I stopped at the gas station since I was near empty and bought two bottles of carberator and injector cleaner and dropped both into the tank. This time I filled up with regular 87 gasoline. I'd been running premium but I think there's no need.

Car seemed to like the treatment.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:50 PM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

I wanted to test the rest of my coils so at lunch I started my car and let it idle.

I unplugged each coil and listen for an engine idle change letting me know if that coil was bad. I did this for each coil and all the coils seem to be working since I noticed a drop in the engine idle.

Is it true I fouled my plugs and they need to be changed now? The plugs are a week old.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

I think all is well. I dont think I fouled my plugs either. Thanks guys.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:13 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

if your still getting a misfire on #1 take that fuel injector and swap it with another cylinder and see if the misfire follows the injector. if it does you need to replace that injector. If not you need to do a compression check
Old 11-19-2012, 01:31 PM
sfmustang
1st Gear Member

Everything is working fine. I replaced the #1 ignition coil and put 2 bottles of fuel injector cleaner in, and changed the air filter.

Last edited by sfmustang; 11-19-2012 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: What would cause my engine to slightly miss like this at low rpm?