4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

1998 Upgrades

Old 01-07-2013, 10:17 PM
superhawk

Default 1998 Upgrades

Okay well i just got a 98 gt in silver. I picked it up cheap because it had a motor and tranny swap recently done to it. The car has exactly 100,000 miles on the body and unknown on the motor and tranny. It has 03 cobra dominator wheels on it, ebiach lowering springs and a fiberglass hood. Im looking to invest in some upgrades. Im purposely building this car for the track. Both the drag strip and for SCCA races in the midwest. Im trying to figure out what the best bang for my buck is and what actually is worth it. Below is a list of the parts i have sorta picked out and what direction i kinda want to go with the car. Any input would be great. I eventually want to move to a stroker build (when the motor goes or i have spare time and cash). Or maybe a turbo build.

-Stainless Steel long tube header (pacemakers)
-Cold air Intake (Bcp racing)
-Cams (not sure on size yet)(want a real loppy idle)
-Msd coils and wires(10.2 mm wires)
-Msd tach adapter
-Sct livewire tuner
-Throttle body spacer
-Throttle body (either twin 62mm BBK or 90mm polished)
-short throw shifter
-new clutch (6 puck)
-steeda underdrive pulley set
-Different rear end gears
Old 01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
98mustangkidd
1st Gear Member

Nice ride you picked up! From seeing your list, a full exhaust will be a great addition for performance and sound, a tuner will definitely come in handy later down the road, a short throw shifter will be great for the track along with a clutch, and rear end gears will dramatically wake up your car from the hole. From my experience to get the best bang for the buck you should go with h/c/i and skip the small bolt on stuff. I don't know if you are familiar with a PI swap? This is what most people do to the sn95's. But a PI swap is when you take the h/c/i off of a New Edge mustang gt (99-04) and put them on your 98 gt block, hopefully you still have the motor of a 96-98 gt.. I did this swap and saw pretty good increases, but before that I did all the bolt- ons and saw minimum gains compared to the gain i got with doing the swap. Depending on how much you want to spend and which way you want to go is up to you though my friend. Don't forget if you are going to take the car to the drag strip, its not only power that makes it go down in a straight line, Suspension is a huge part! Good luck and happy modding! AND post some PICS!!!
Old 01-08-2013, 07:41 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

"03 cobra dominator wheels on it"? Did you mean Terminator Wheels?
You need to find out what year the motor is that was swapped into the car before you start modding it. Like mentioned above you need to start with the PI swap if it isn't already done.
If you are doing SCCA and Drag set up the first thing I would worry about is suspension. Like Full length sub frame connectors and than gears
And here is my .02 on your list
-Stainless Steel long tube header (pacemakers) sure
-Cold air Intake (Bcp racing) ok
-Cams (not sure on size yet)(want a real loppy idle) Ricer mentality buying a cam for sound not performance
-Msd coils and wires(10.2 mm wires) WHY?
-Msd tach adapter do you have an aftermarket tach?
-Sct livewire tuner This is good
-Throttle body spacer waist
-Throttle body (either twin 62mm BBK or 90mm polished) not needed on stock motor
-short throw shifter Big yes
-new clutch (6 puck) yes
-steeda underdrive pulley set sure
-Different rear end gears yes after FLSFC's
Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM
superhawk

Whoops sorry i ment that he just replaced the motor and transmission. What swap are you talkeing about. Im new to mustangs so not real familiar with these specific engines. I forgot to mention the the car has a BBK x pipe on it and nothing after that.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

read post #2 it explains what the PI swap is. You need to figure out if the previous owner was smart and put a 99/04 PI 4.6 in or if he was an idiot and put a 96/98 NPI 4.6 in the car
Old 01-08-2013, 07:39 PM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

Just a heads up, a drag set up and a handling set up go in very different directions when it comes to suspension. I'd pick one or the other.

No need for a heavy duty clutch on a mostly stock motor. It will be a pain if it's more clutch than you need.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:48 AM
school boy
5th Gear Member

heres a pi head swap thread from the how to section
https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...-cam-swap.html
Old 01-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Dooney
1st Gear Member

I agree with BraMas suspension is the first place you need to start. You can put down all the power in the world and it doesn't mean anything if you can't hook off the line. As for my opinion on your parts.

-Stainless Steel long tube header (pacemakers) - yes
-Cold air Intake (Bcp racing) - yes

-Cams (not sure on size yet)(want a real loppy idle) - bad idea, if you are building it for a drag race you want power off the line. If you have a loppy idle it is more then likely because your cams are not going to kick in till late in the rpm range

-Msd coils and wires(10.2 mm wires) - no point right now

-Msd tach adapter - not sure why you think this is needed but no

-Sct livewire tuner - definate yes, and especially needed if you get gears

-Throttle body spacer - this isn't needed

-Throttle body (either twin 62mm BBK or 90mm polished) - no, just no... bigest you will want to go with a n/a motor is 70mm

-short throw shifter - yes, this is a cheap easy mod

-new clutch (6 puck) - yes, also including a lightened flywheel will help a lot

-steeda underdrive pulley set - sure why not, won't do much but I have underdrive pulleys too so I can't say much

-Different rear end gears - first place to start

My advice is to carefully figure out what you want to build before you start buying anything. A lot of people go wrong by buying parts because they look good on paper but don't match what they want to do with the car. Case in point, you do not want a cam with a big loppy idle that doesn't kick in till later rpm's if you are going to gear the car for a 1/4 mile. You are only going to be hurting yourself
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
superhawk

Okay l guess i would start with the head swap. Are these the heads your refering to? http://www.ebay.com/itm/230908993920...84.m1438.l2649

and i would assume that since i have different heads and wanted to go with an aftermarket intake that this would work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/150791119980...=p5197.c0.m619
Old 01-09-2013, 03:49 PM
superhawk

I know those heads dont come with cams but new cams are coming in anyways. And the Heads are Romeos so i wouldnt have to get new valve covers? is there anything else you can think of i would need for that? Would i need 01^ head gaskets or 98 gaskets? Also i found 60# injectors but there off my friends 03 cobra? Would these fit my 4.6?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1998 Upgrades