4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Electrical issue, possibly fuel pump relay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
Horus

Default Electrical issue, possibly fuel pump relay?

So I just got done replacing my intake manifold. Now when I try and start the car, it makes the noise like its just about to turn over and start, but doesnt quite make it, and keep repeating this noise indefinitely.

I notice I dont smell any fuel when this happens, so I believe thats my problem.

The most important thing though, I believe, is when I open the door to the car, it starts making that annoying dinging sound, like when you leave your keys in the ignition or leave the lights on. At the same time, the lights on the inside will flash on and off, and the taillights flash like the emergency signals are on. Only the e-signals are off lol. Also, I hear the relays clicking on and off in accordance with the lights flashing.

One more thing, when I stick the key in the ignition, the fuel pump makes a series of short clicks. Normally it will make a humming or whirring sound when starting up.

Just wondering where the best place to begin looking for this problem would be? Pretty much already lost one job because of this, really need to get a new one asap...but with no ride..its somewhat infeasible lol. Thanks in advance for the help everyone!
Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail with a gauge to rule out fuel delivery, the relay is part of the CCRM inside the passenger fender. But honestly this sounds like a PATS or alarm issue, is there an aftermarket alarm on the caR?
Old 01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Definitely sounds like an electrical problem. Possibly a short somewhere.

First make sure your battery is fully charged. It should be between 12.4 & 12.8 volts. If not charge it and then try again. Additionally, once it is at full charge, when you try to start it, if the battery voltage drops below 10 volts then the battery is weak and should be replaced. Low/weak batteries can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues.

After that its time to start poking around with a volt/multi-meter. Good luck...
Old 01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Horus

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail with a gauge to rule out fuel delivery, the relay is part of the CCRM inside the passenger fender. But honestly this sounds like a PATS or alarm issue, is there an aftermarket alarm on the caR?
Yes I had a Viper alarm installed a few years back. Back in 2007 actually. It did have a bad diode which made it go off randomly at night lol, but I had since gotten that fixed and have never had any other issues. What is the PATS?
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Cool

Originally Posted by petrock
Definitely sounds like an electrical problem. Possibly a short somewhere.

First make sure your battery is fully charged. It should be between 12.4 & 12.8 volts. If not charge it and then try again. Additionally, once it is at full charge, when you try to start it, if the battery voltage drops below 10 volts then the battery is weak and should be replaced. Low/weak batteries can cause all sorts of weird electrical issues.

After that its time to start poking around with a volt/multi-meter. Good luck...
^^^^^this ^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Horus
Yes I had a Viper alarm installed a few years back. Back in 2007 actually. It did have a bad diode which made it go off randomly at night lol, but I had since gotten that fixed and have never had any other issues. What is the PATS?
Yikes. I have nothing but problems w/ every car alarm & remote starter I have ever had & have had to remove them. My advice is if the car didnt come w/ OEM alarm/starter remote, dont install it now or remove it if installed.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

My bet is its a problem with that alarm.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
Horus

How do I go about just removing it now? IIRC I had all the sensors on the windows and on the doors. I have no idea where the wiring is at all. Im pretty sure Im going to cause more damage by yanking out wires lol. The thing is, there were NO problems at all, ever, until removing the intake manifold. Only then did things start going screwy.

I just tested the fuel rails, and I guess there is pressure there after all, since it sprayed everywhere. So fuel is getting delivered there. But when I turn the ignition, the car repeatedly turns over, but refuses to start at all. Smoke comes out of the tailpipes, but still no car running.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:57 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Best bet is to find the brain box for that alarm and just kill the power wire to it.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Any codes? Take it to a good shop before tering **** apart. Could jsut be a cloggedfuel filter sr something stupid.