4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bought a 96 gt tonight...Lots of CEL codes

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 AM
petrock
4th Gear Member

Most autoparts stores will rent you a radiator pressure tester, compression tester, vacuum pump and a bunch of other handy tools. You give them a deposit and when you return it they give you your deposit back.

Originally Posted by gmb96gt
Does the just antifreeze burn white or would water do the same?
Both will steam white.

When you get the car back, and fix the smoke issue I’d replace the water with a good 50/50 mix of coolant/water. The coolant does more then just prevent freezing. It acts as a lubricant for the water pump and helps prevent rust inside the coolant passages in the block.

Good luck...
Old 01-24-2013, 07:16 AM
gmb96gt

Originally Posted by petrock
Most autoparts stores will rent you a radiator pressure tester, compression tester, vacuum pump and a bunch of other handy tools. You give them a deposit and when you return it they give you your deposit back.

Both will steam white.

When you get the car back, and fix the smoke issue I’d replace the water with a good 50/50 mix of coolant/water. The coolant does more then just prevent freezing. It acts as a lubricant for the water pump and helps prevent rust inside the coolant passages in the block.

Good luck...
Thanks. And Yeah I actually meant to pick up the antifreeze yesterday and forgot. When I was 18 I wasn't aware of this and let water only sit in a 350 block and ruined every freeze plug in it.

Dropping the car off today.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 AM
TomKat
3rd Gear Member

best of luck.. hopefully its nothing too serious
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

If it was burning oil or antifreeze u would be able to tell by smell, u sure its not fuel or condensation.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

I guess I'm old fashioned, I just buy the straight anti freeze and mix it myself. I don't trust pre mixed. Water coming out of your pipes is normal as condensation does form. I would have to see it before sending you off on some crusade. Good luck on the tests!
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
gmb96gt

I'm feeling pretty positive about it all at the moment. They said they would get to it tomorrow. Thanks for all the help/support.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:25 PM
gmb96gt

Got the car back today. They said the "smoke" was steam. Even though I've never seen a vehicle steam after being warmed up for so long, I guess I can believe them. They did find a vacuum leak, but the coolant pressure test came back good.

The bad news is once they got it on the lift, they could see that the trans mount was broke (I knew it needed a new one), and it was sitting an inch or so to the side, and it looks like the car had been hit in the front side. Maybe the frame is a little tweaked? I wouldn't think so because it doesn't look like it was hit hard at all. the only thing that led him to believe so was the lower radiator support was a little mangled. If I can take the car to a front end shop and the front end can be aligned, would that mean the car is ok? The steering wheel does sit crooked. I assumed the front end just needed work/alignment. He is associating this with the bent frame theory.

The transmission it's self is also not for this car according to the mechanic, and the crossmember had been modified to make the longer trans work.

But I will say, the car did seem to run much better on the way home.

Oh and I did look at the tires for uneven wear. They looked perfect, but they also look pretty new. The only other problem I really have is that the clutch fork is making a knocking sound. I'm hoping I can just tighten this. A clutch was installed the same day I bought the car (by the P.O.), I'm betting he half assed the job.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM
petrock
4th Gear Member

So did all the check engine codes go away after all that? It may take a hundred miles or so of driving to be entirely sure.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:45 PM
gmb96gt

The cel just came back on. System too lean bank 1 and 2. I do know that one of the o2 sensors(passenger side) has a broken wire and it sounds like I have a small exhaust leak somewhere around the exhaust manifold or manifold to x pipe.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:49 PM
gmb96gt

Tomorrow I will change the fuel filter, but it doesn't act like it's starving for fuel.

Quick Reply: Bought a 96 gt tonight...Lots of CEL codes