4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Power past 5K

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Default Power past 5K

Well gents my search for more power continues. I'm thinking my restriction is in the intake and the stock components just aren't letting my ported heads flow like they want to. The HP curve is nice and the torque curve is flat, until 5k and then the car just starts to fall on it's face. Right at 5 grand the tq curve just takes a nose dive.

Any suggestions on picking this up? I've been looking around at the various intakes and can't decide whether to just go with the new MAF and throttle body or just wait and upgrade to something like the TFS intake.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:39 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What mods do you have now?

Tune?
Old 02-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

Forged shortblock, ported heads, and cams as far as the engine goes. Bolt-ons are limited to an Accufab upper plenum, K&N CAI, BBK Tuned length shorty headers, and 24lb/hr injectors. I do have a tune, although it is rather conservative since I need some race gas before I add more timing.

Unlike most I started with a blown engine, so the insides got treated to the good stuff before the outside did.

Just a quick edit, that cats are already coming out but I have to wait to get the car back to FL first.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:12 PM
65mechanic
2nd Gear Member

NOS?
Old 02-05-2013, 07:14 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

What size TB are you running?

What do you know about the tune?

What does AFR look like at WOT and the higher RPMs?

Have you any exhaust mods other than the shorty headers?

Sorry for the "20 questions", just want to know as much as I can about your build...
Old 02-06-2013, 07:18 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

TB is stock and after looking at the intake kit again I realize it doesn't come with one as I thought so that is definitely on the list.

The tune is conservative about 16* all the way to 5K and then 17 and 18 up to 7K. The timing is turned down because of the compression. I was getting terrible spark knock. AFR runs about 13.6-14.0 all the way through when at WOT.

The exhaust has been modified in that someone cut out the two downstream cats, and it has some single chamber mufflers on it.

I don't mind the questions at all, if you have insight into where to head I'm all about a little Q/A.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by Stevo86
TB is stock and after looking at the intake kit again I realize it doesn't come with one as I thought so that is definitely on the list.
If it has the stock intake, which is a CAI, don't waste money on an aftermarket kit. It will add nothing and may actually cause power "suck-outs" at certain rpms.

The tune is conservative about 16* all the way to 5K and then 17 and 18 up to 7K. The timing is turned down because of the compression. I was getting terrible spark knock. AFR runs about 13.6-14.0 all the way through when at WOT.
It's running too lean. You want at least 13:1, I head toward 12.5:1 here in Florida so that I can keep the timing advanced a bit more aggressively in the heat of summer.

Doing so on your car will let you get that timing up to where it should be...

The exhaust has been modified in that someone cut out the two downstream cats, and it has some single chamber mufflers on it.
That will make it louder, however it adds no power. Get an aftermarket X- or H-pipe as you prefer, catted or "off road" (it doesn't matter for performance), and a 2-1/2" ID catback.

I don't mind the questions at all, if you have insight into where to head I'm all about a little Q/A.
Read these "stickies" for more about bolting on power--this one and this one.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

It has a CAI intake on it now, I didn't put it there. I just meant the intake manifold.

I just stumbled upon an x-pipe someone had to take off their car due to registering in NC so I'm about to go grab it. I think it's a MAC O/R x-pipe but I'm not 100% on the brand. The exhaust shop was just about to scrap the lovely $450 piece of steel.

As far as the tune goes I think I'm going to get it re-tuned when I get back down south. Thanks for the input.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:01 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The stock intake manifold is as good as any out there until you start going radical with cams and or f/i. I would not spend money on an intake manifold on a "bolt-on" build.

A new tune is essential as it is running far too lean...
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

It does have cams, 551/541 lift 238/233 duration and 109 lsa. I am totally on board with the tune though. There is a shop around the corner back home that specializes in Ford and Fords only so that will be my first step.

I think I'm just going to let them take her for a ride on the rollers and make their own recommendations based upon what they see as far as where my restrictions lie. I see you're in St. Augustine, if you have any suggestions as far as a tuner goes I'm wide open.

Quick Reply: Power past 5K