4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

idea but what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 09:46 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

Default idea but what do you think?

ok so i cleaned my K&N airfilter today and had the air filter off the intake system (K&N FIPK) and i realized how much more air could get into the engine with the airfilter off. now i know that the airfilter needs to be there to protect things getting into the engine but what if you took that off just for a few runs down the track? most ppl take off their passenger side headlight as do i but with that out and the airfilter would alot more air get in? i don't know how much the filter itself may reduce air getting in but just thought it might help a little.

i know my buddy does that in his LS1. could there be anyharm if a bug got into the engine? anyone do this before? it just seems i can get ALOT more air into the engine and i know how 4.6's love to breathe.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:49 PM
Tims 88GT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: idea but what do you think?

it will make a big diff in how the car runs but i dont suggest doing it, take it off once and run it around your naborhood thoe just so you know what its like, it will have a lot more response
Old 10-01-2005, 11:43 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

What if you had one modified so that it had two filters? Like a Y-pipe induction. It would have to be ahead of the MAF, but could be done in theory.
Old 10-01-2005, 11:43 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

why don't you recommend it? i mean not going around town or daily driving with it but just down the 1320.
Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

If you have the headlight out and no filter, what happens if you pick up a rock or some other debris?
Old 10-02-2005, 12:51 AM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

a rock? going down the track? i would hope not unless ur track sucks the big one? although my mass air did have a filter but i took it out. i should put that in and then do what i planned on doing. i have seen the cai that goes under the car like a ram air but i just figured this would be similar if not better although i can't see the power gains being outrageous but i think you'd def. get a ton more air in.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:21 AM
starcam
1st Gear Member

I took my passenger fog light out and my fender mac cai tube stayed cooler inside the engine compartment.
More air doesn't really give tremendous alot of power, it does help if ur ports can handle it, compressed air from a sc is great.
Where the gain comes in with direct flow, not compressed is the maf is getting the cooler fresher air away from the hot engine.
Which the computer makes the mix richer. colder air releases more energy when it is ignited.

For instance which would freeze faster when making ice cubes? Hot or cold water?
Hot water freezes faster because it expends alot more heat/energy in a smaller amount of time.
Vice versa cold air to hot. simplistically speaking
it's not the best description but it's late,heh
Old 10-02-2005, 04:33 AM
Dave2000GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: starcam

For instance which would freeze faster when making ice cubes? Hot or cold water?
Hot water freezes faster because it expends alot more heat/energy in a smaller amount of time.
Vice versa cold air to hot. simplistically speaking
it's not the best description but it's late,heh
This is total BS, cold water ALWAYS freezes faster than hot water.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:38 AM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

Sorry, Dave, but he's correct: hot freezes before cold. Its called the Mpemba effect. Read more here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physic...hot_water.html

http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/mpemba.htm

http://library.thinkquest.org/C00853...ze/freeze.html

Of course, there are sites who say cold water freezes first. None of them have a .edu URL.

Test it in your freezer.
Old 10-02-2005, 01:26 PM
beezy
2nd Gear Member

Hot water does freeze faster than cold water

Quick Reply: idea but what do you think?