4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Long tube headers- to do or not to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 09:17 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

Default Long tube headers- to do or not to do?

I'm currently nearing the end of bolt on modifications. The next mod I have in mind are long tube headers, but I've seen so many options and varying opinions. Was hoping to get some feed back from experience here. My main concerns are...

1) Transmission clearance. I've heard flowtechs, MAC, hooker, and pacesetters have enough room for a manual transmission to be dropped, without loosening a header. I definitely want to be able to get the transmission out.

2) Price and Quality. I understand you usually get what you pay for, but I'm not looking to break the bank here. If I can get a leak proof seal with some RTV hi temp sealant and a good gasket, I'd be happy. I'm not looking for the maximum horsepower increase, just something better than stock and good exhaust note.

3) Install. I've dealt with multiple lowering spring installs, but never went as far as the K-member coming out. Is this install something manageable over a weekend with basic garage tools? Or is it worth the ~$500 shop install?

Just looking for some Pros and Cons, along with opinions. Thanks for any info!!
Old 03-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Seabee1993
2nd Gear Member

If I could do it again, I wouldn't do it at all. It was the biggest P.I.T.A. job I ever did. I didn't drop the K member, but I had the trans out which did make it easier for access. I did the BBK shorty tuned headers BTW.
In your search for quality, I would buy ceramic coated, as their longevity will be much longer than chromed.
I noticed a slight change in sound, nothing really special, I've been told repeatedly that LT will be your best bang for your buck for HP gain, I got the shortys for 100.00 and my stock manifolds were thrashed from the previous owner. Good luck, hopefully I covered the broad range of your questions.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Headers are the biggest hp gain bolt on mod, they really aren't hard to do just drop the k member. When people hear dropping the k member they get scared, I just changed my oilpan out and had the k memeber out in an hour.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

From what I've read the k member is only held in with 8 bolts, then you support it with a jack and move it out of the way. The rest of the install sounds like removing the suspension components, which I'm not stranger to. My main concern with the install would be the replacement of the headers, getting them sealed properly, and bolted down right. I only want to do it once, and not have to re do the work days later.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:25 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

if you think you can handle it and get it done, do it. The gains are great. I wish i could but i cant because of the state i live in....
Old 03-09-2013, 06:12 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

do it man! they sound so good!! im putting mac lt and prochamber on mine within the month hopefully!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:45 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

That's the exact setup I want! It's a little out of my price range at the moment, but I love how the pro chamber sounds. You'll have to make a sound video! My friend had a GT with BBK long tubes and that thing sounded sick, but he had to have transmission work and it was a PITA for them to work on. So that why I'm looking or transmission friendly headers.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 PM
luke1333
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Luke13
That's the exact setup I want! It's a little out of my price range at the moment, but I love how the pro chamber sounds. You'll have to make a sound video! My friend had a GT with BBK long tubes and that thing sounded sick, but he had to have transmission work and it was a PITA for them to work on. So that why I'm looking or transmission friendly headers.
I don't know about Mac lt with my auto trans I hope I can get them in and around x brace on vert. and they should match up good with my borlas
Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM
mustangman02232
6th Gear Member

There was a mod a while back (nanaki) that had a built/blown motor and I believed gained 11 rwhp on that set up with long tubes. Personally unless your stock manifolds are cracked or you install them your self I don't think I would do it, Ive only done them on a v6 vert so I can't help with install on the GT
Old 03-09-2013, 09:22 PM
Luke13
2nd Gear Member

They say its a lot easier on the v6, but I've found a very detailed guide on installing then in a GT. It doesn't sound impossible, and that's part of it for me, actually installing stuff myself. I don't expect a huge HP gain, especially since I'm already running no cats. Every little bit counts tho and it'd add some to the exhaust note. Just can't find a header to match my criteria lol....

Quick Reply: Long tube headers- to do or not to do?