4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

what should i do to my 2004 mustang gt

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 AM
sk8tenbeast

Originally Posted by SXGT
of course you want a stiffer clutch and a short throw shifter. also where at in TN are you. I go to TN a lot.
I live in Clarksville Tennessee next to fort Campbell.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
sk8tenbeast

Originally Posted by SXGT
of course you want a stiffer clutch and a short throw shifter. also where at in TN are you. I go to TN a lot.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-a...tblock-na.html

i found an engine block with forged pistons like you said i needed for fairly cheap. what else would i need to purchase to get theat engine up and running?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 PM
zinda

If money is really not an issue, why bother with the car you currently have? All these upgrades will take time to complete, you will not have your car available to drive while the work is getting done. Also you will need to get everything done pretty much at the same time (other than cosmetic) to make it all easier and also to shorten the time spent doing it. If it was me I would just look for a car that someone else has spent all their hard earned cash on and probably lost their license in a few months upon completion, you will be able to bypass all the initial waiting and any potential problems that may occur. Plus the original buyer will take a cut on the price of all those extras that were installed since bluebook does not reflect those upgrades. The higher priced car will take longer to sell when a buyer sees other cars similar to it for way less money.
My car had $8000 worth of extras installed on it when I bought it, I think he was in a hit and run with a bicycle/pedestrian or something since the car had a strange scrape on the front fender (said his wife scraped the edge of the garage). He would only meet me at a restaurant to see car and next day to buy it. Got not 1 receipt showing the work done, since that would have his name all over it in my possession I guess. Even a bill of sale made out by him had chicken scratch for a signature. I'm pretty sure his wife's name was on the title. After some bargaining, that $16k asking price ended up at $10,500 with 64K miles (about 6+ years ago). Buffed the scrape out as best I could and carefully touched it up with some matching paint.
I'm not saying that there are thousands of these deals out there but if you can be patient and just watch the ads, you will find something that will suit you eventually and probably even less time than it will take to transform your car and you will not be without your car.

Last edited by zinda; 03-23-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

Hmm. dont do that. buy just the forged internals and take it to a shop and have them rebuild your current engine with the new pistons. buying a block like that is just as much work because you'll end up putting everything in your old engine on it.

honestly I'd fine a 03-04 cobra engine ready to go and put it in there. then sell your old engine and get some return cash. get one with everything on it so you dont have to put anything on it from your old car.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:01 PM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sk8tenbeast
yah your probably right about just buying a cobra but i already have my mustang gts exterior and interior completely finished with bbs rims darkish red paint and sparco racing seats with a cobra body kit on it, so it looks like a cobra just not engine and performance whise. so i kinda want to keep this platform. ive put alot of money already into it and time. so i want to stay with my gt . but the list you gave me should put me around that range of 500 correct!?!

I think for the money blown on a motor and trans, it'd be easier to sell the gt and
Get a cobra. Go drive one.. you'll love it, even stock.

Last edited by blu30val; 03-23-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 AM
jtgerik

You said Money is no object.. so gimme a dollar figure you're willing to invest in this project and I'll give you a best bang for the buck build list, factoring in that you won't likely be doing any of this yourself so Labor is going to chew up a larger portion of you budget than the actual parts are going to run you. Also, Not to be the Downer in the group.. but it sounds like this bone stock GT the fastest/sportiest car you've ever owned? Cramming 500+hp/Ft.lbs in a car and thinking you're gonna drive it just like you did before is going to introduce you to a whole different category of ownership.. namely, a disastrous wreck or worse.. If not like I said, pick a $$ amount. I'll even Internet price it out for ya when I get a minute. If it is.. I suggest you start very small bolt on mods/small changes and work your way into the bigger toys as you learn to actually handle the beast these cars can become. And I can give you a list for that too, in fact several have mentioned some of them. 99.9% of the guys/girls here will tell you there's a large learning curve when it comes to stepping up the performance of these cars and your safety is first and foremost.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:58 AM
jtgerik

I throw that word of caution out because several years ago a friend of mine came into some money via a settlement.. and he had a similar thought.. " I want a badass mustang.. " in vain I tried to dissuade this idea from his mind, but he wouldn't listen and... previous to this a rx-7 was his baddest car.. he put almost 45K into a 2000 GT, supercharged 4.6 pushing 600 Ponies, tranny, rear end, suspension, cage, fiberglassed 1/2 the car, brakes, etc.. and promptly destroyed it the first time he took it to the track.. a week after taking delivery.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:28 AM
blu30val
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jtgerik
I throw that word of caution out because several years ago a friend of mine came into some money via a settlement.. and he had a similar thought.. " I want a badass mustang.. " in vain I tried to dissuade this idea from his mind, but he wouldn't listen and... previous to this a rx-7 was his baddest car.. he put almost 45K into a 2000 GT, supercharged 4.6 pushing 600 Ponies, tranny, rear end, suspension, cage, fiberglassed 1/2 the car, brakes, etc.. and promptly destroyed it the first time he took it to the track.. a week after taking delivery.
I'll testify to that. These cars aren't moms grocery getter. After a lot of denial, ill admit now that I pushed my limits in mine just being stupidly excited to have it, luckily, I was uninjured and didn't cause anyone harm being an idiot.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:09 AM
sk8tenbeast

Yah you guys are probably right. This is my first sports car and i do drive it like its the fastest car in the world. I understand that safety is my first priority especially with that picture!! Lol, so I'm going to take it easy and drive safe. Here's my scenario on the whole thing,after graduating high school last year and finishing ait and getting a full time job as an air traffic controller operator on fort Campbell while I'm in the national guard my parents said I could stay at the house while I got stuff together and of course being fresh out of high school and wanting a new life I didn't want too. But when I got my mustang gt as a graduation present and receiving when I got back from basic I had a whole new change in what I wanted to do. I decided to stay at home and Pay my parents rent to stay and of course pay I pay my phone bills, insurance and gas. I buy my own clothes and stuff to but the house stuff are on my parents. I make about 53,000 after taxes as an e-3.

So what I'm getting from there are two ways I can go with this mustang build:

1: I can keep the gt And put a cobra engine in there then
Get 4.10 gears
Off road x pipe
Magma flow mufflers
A supercharger idk which brand
Upgraded throttle body
Plenum
Maf
Cam swap/ port and polish heads
A good dyno tune/ a handheld tune
Under drive pulley upgrade
Barenboim brake package with rotors
Springs and struts
Long tube headers
Upgraded fuel pump and injectors
Adjusted ecu for more pressure
Flywheel
Driveshafts
Clutch kit
And a short shifter
I'm guessing this is the way I need to go if I keep the mustang gt?!?

And then there is no.2 which is selling the mustang gt for around 8,000 and buying a cobra I found on Craigslist for 19,000 dollars.

And then what would I do from there with the cobra because that changed my whole game plan on the subject. If you guys really think I should get a cobra I will. I'm not an expert with mustangs and actually didn't like them until I got one and now I'm in love with them.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
sk8tenbeast

Brembo**

Quick Reply: what should i do to my 2004 mustang gt