4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Engine blown, do I buy a rebuilt one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Default Engine blown, do I buy a rebuilt one?

I have a 2001 GT with a standard 2 valve 4.6L SOHC engine with 107,000miles and an automatic transmission. I had a rattling in the engine during a trip about 100 miles outside of town that didn't seem that bad and then got really bad all at once about 5 minutes later.

After having it towed back to my mechanic he says the engine is shot. It sprung an oil leak but he said he wasn't sure exactly where from without washing the motor all the way off (which he hadn't done). He said the engine is shot. I had it towed out of there back to my house.

He had found a rebuilt motor for less than $2200 and I've found some for less than $2600 myself. He's quoting between $900 - $1000 to put one in. I have a friend at work who will help me drop one in for a few cases of beer.

I'm wondering if I'm there are things I'm not considering. Should I go used? If so what sites should I be looking on? Should I try a rebuild? I have no experience with that and I'm not sure if my friend would want to dig in that deeply to help me. Also, I'm not ready to spend $4,000plus to do any kind of performance upgrade. I just want the car to run well with the best engine I can find.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-01-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:31 AM
SXGT
5th Gear Member

i don't think id go with anything your mechanic found unless you trust him. he may be helping his friend pawn off something he's having a hard time getting rid of.

1000$ for an install sounds good, and id rather have an insured mechanic with his reputation on the line doing the work.

just find something from a REAR END collision. not from flood damage or anything like that.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:43 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

I went used when I did the engine in my 02 GT. Got an engine out of an 01 crown victoria for $450 at my local yard. If you go with a crown vic or a town car, the odds of that engine being hotrodded are slim. As for the removal and install, it's easy, I just posted up a video how to on removal if you would like to get an idea.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l...e-removal.html
Old 06-01-2013, 11:14 AM
ZeroTX
2nd Gear Member

Mine is currently in the shop getting a new (used) motor from a 2009 Crown Vic with 32k miles on it. Paid $950 including freight for a much newer motor. It's very clean. The salvage yards do not seem to know that these are the same engines, so the prices are cheaper. A 32k mile Mustang motor would have cost $1500-ish. They're both Romeo 2v's, exactly the same.

Buy from an online salvage place. Prices are often negotiable and specify that you want a low mileage motor and that the car it is for is a 2009 Ford Crown Victoria. Seriously, don't put in Mustang, you'll get pricier and older engines.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:35 PM
jeh4269
3rd Gear Member

Hey Zero that's some good advice there.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:02 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ZeroTX
Mine is currently in the shop getting a new (used) motor from a 2009 Crown Vic with 32k miles on it. Paid $950 including freight for a much newer motor. It's very clean. The salvage yards do not seem to know that these are the same engines, so the prices are cheaper. A 32k mile Mustang motor would have cost $1500-ish. They're both Romeo 2v's, exactly the same.

Buy from an online salvage place. Prices are often negotiable and specify that you want a low mileage motor and that the car it is for is a 2009 Ford Crown Victoria. Seriously, don't put in Mustang, you'll get pricier and older engines.
That was part of what I was considering when i thought of going used. I had researched this topic before posting and found a list of all the vehicles that have compatible engines. Now i didn't take into consideration that by specifically saying i had newer car ...specifically a 2009 crown vic how new of an engine I could actually end up getting...that's pretty smart.

Any recommendations for good online wreckers or wrecker directories that poll parts together?

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-02-2013 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 05:17 AM
Tommy079
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SXGT
1000$ for an install sounds good, and id rather have an insured mechanic with his reputation on the line doing the work.
Ok, so here's a major detail... I have 3 cars. One an old truck that I own outright (no payments), one that has a tow hitch and seats 7...but it's a minivan (so yeah.... I know), and a convertible Mustang (with a blown engine that fits myself, a chick, and 2 small people in the back with no leg room).

That said, I've been working this financial plan prior to this happening and one of the things this guy who created the plan (Dave Ramsey) advocates is wasting less money on cars... and then when you are 100% out of debt save up cash and buy whatever you want. So I was actually thinking about selling the Mustang and using only the van for a while because it's more practical and I planned on using it to help me move once or twice over the next year... and then buying another Mustang down the road once I'm debt free.

So here's my deal, now that I'm going to be spending all this money on a new engine it doesn't make any sense financially to be out a ton of cash on this repair and still sell the car and come out with that much of a loss from having recently spent a lot of money on an engine/install... So I'll more than likely keep the Mustang now. Selling it with a blown engine is pretty much out of the question because I'll get low ball offers like crazy and I still owe most of what I bought it for so either way I'd still come out at a loss and be making payments on something that was gone.

I don't want to be out all kind of money on a car that I was thinking about selling and may even still decide to sell anyway down the road. So I want to put as little as possible into this repair really, but still get it done. The friend I'm referring to who said he can help me put it in is a 20+ year retired fighter jet mechanic who has worked on his own vehicles all his life and pretty much helps everyone at work with their cars. I'd trust him with the install...but I am having trouble with the "insured" part you mentioned. If there were a problem the mechanic would be on the line for the repair.

I don't know...now that you know all that what do you think?

In my mind I think after what I've heard so far I think I'm considering finding the newest compatible engine (like the crown vic mentioned above) with as low as miles as possible and as new as possible and have my friend throw it in for 4 - 30 packs of bud and call it done.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Tommy079; 06-02-2013 at 05:28 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I'd say that's a good plan. I was amazed at how fast and easy it was to watch (and help) a guy replace my motor in my Cobra. The old engine will come out (and new one drop in) from the top. Some say its best to drop the whole K member and do it that way (dropping the motor under and out of the car) and I won't disagree; I just have never done it that way.

Just document/label everything and take some pics and you'll save yourself a lot of money. Good luck!
Old 06-02-2013, 08:45 AM
Matt's 95 Stang
Resident Ginger

107k miles is really low for these motors is it not? Or is this a comman problem with the 2Vs?

Back on topic - OP only you know what is going to be best for your finances. I wholely agree with you that you need to do what is best for your family money wise. If you can live without the car for a while and save up then do that. No point going into debt if you dont need to.

Matthew
Old 06-02-2013, 08:52 AM
LilRoush
6th Gear Member

If you are looking in junkyards, don't forget to consider the factory options for the aluminum block upgrade. Same price (usually) and 70 lbs lighter. Just something to consider.

Quick Reply: Engine blown, do I buy a rebuilt one?