4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mark VIII swap problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 09:06 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangs for me
my name is Shannon stansbury wearing a white shirt in my photo
Weird, never seen that before. That grey plug should plug in between the main wire and the regulator plug.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Bgrim

I'm doing the same swap, I'm just not as far along as you are. Some people say you can get a pigtail from autozone some say you have to go to ford. Here are Two link to different swap guides. Let me know if this helps or what you end up doing.

http://www.mustangmodders.com/forum/...Mark-VIII-Swap

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ap-thread.html
Old 07-18-2013, 11:06 PM
mustangs for me

im going to go talk to a guy tomorrow that works on alternators and see what he says. if he doesn't know I may go try to find another pigtail or something this is the only thing I have left.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM
rsmith185

Shannon, did you figure it out? Im dealing with the same issue plus mine wont crank. Pls email me if you get this.

Rashad
Old 09-18-2013, 07:53 PM
mustangs for me

no I still haven't figured it out its been sitting in my yard still. it sucks having a strong car that you cant drive.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:37 PM
rsmith185

I figured it out Shannon. You have to get the plug for the mark 8 alternator. once you get the mark 8 plug, connect the yellow and white wires and the green and red wires together. Just tape up the extra black wire. Its an extra wire you don't need for the mark 8 alternator. The connection is inside the alternator already. I talked to pa performance and they confirmed it. Let me know if it works for you. Does your car crank? My battery light went away once I did that. I just can't remember how to hook up my battery harness. I must have a bad harness because the starter won't kick in and I know its a good starter because I had both tested and I tested them with a spare battery.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 AM
mustangs for me

so whats the exact wiring combo? kind of confused the way you put it. As of my car cranking I was able to drive it because I had a fresh battery so I was driving just on the battery the only thing was the alternator
Old 09-20-2013, 07:46 PM
Bgrim

Default charging issue

When I was doing the swap almost everything I read said to get a plug from a mark VIII. So I did the local pull-a-part had one I have been getting misc parts from. Most of the guides said to swap the two wires. I did, when I first started it up the battery light was on. I swapped them back to the way they were color on color. The light went off it is charging. I did find a plug from a 98 mark Viii. Here are a couple of pictures. hope they help.
Mark VIII swap problems-img_1334.jpg

Mark VIII swap problems-img_1335-1.jpg

Mark VIII swap problems-img_1336-1.jpg
Old 09-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Bgrim

Default Starting issue

rsmith
If you need pictures or schematics. I have them. I went thru my harness before I put it back in. There was a splice on one wire that was loose.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:56 AM
rsmith185

shannon, follow what bgim said. his description is much clearer. get the mark 8 alternator plug and connect the the two wires color for color. the wires are probably dirty but there should be a yellow and white one and a light green and red wire. connect them to the same color wires coming off your main harness and you will be fine. my car isnt here since i moved to houston or id go out and send you pictures. but bgrim gave an excellent description. i hope you got it to charge. let us know your progress.

Quick Reply: Mark VIII swap problems