4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

synthetic vs conventional oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 02:44 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by school boy
why would engines that are properly maintained run hundreds of thousands of miles instead of becoming damaged after oil changes and start ups within the first few thousand miles?
Your house must have giant windows. They're big enough to throw logic out. All your logic.

Do you think just maybe, possibly properly maintained engines with hundreds of thousands of miles fail after an oil change because they have hundreds of thousands of miles on them?

Engines with hundreds of thousands of miles have had their oil changed dozens of times. You'd think they would succumb to the dreaded pumping air out of the filter into the bearings catastrophe at 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K.How in the hell did these engines make it to 200K, 300K, or 400K with all these dangerous oil changes?

If you're worried about engine damage on post oil change starts, get a pre-oiler.

You're perpetuating and old wives' tail.
Old 10-13-2013, 03:03 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

I always just fill me new filter with oil before I put it on.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:32 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

You sure like to twist people's words around to benefit you. Like this, "Engines with hundreds of thousands of miles have had their oil changed dozens of times. You'd think they would succumb to the dreaded pumping air out of the filter into the bearings catastrophe at 10K, 20K, 50K, 100K.How in the hell did these engines make it to 200K, 300K, or 400K with all these dangerous oil changes?" No where in any of my post did I say oil changes will damage an engine.
Here's my first reply to this thread, "Even on oil pressure build up after an oil change, there is still oil on the bearings from the previous oil. Just food for thought.
As oil goes, just change it in regular fashion. Weather it be 3000, 5000 or 7000 miles. Personally, I go by which engine as how long to go. Also use a quality oil filter, its the thing that filters containments out of the oil and keeps it clean."
Im not sure what your deal is but being a d!ck is no way to make friends and no way to treat people in general. So twist my words up again, its starting to be entertaining!
Uber, I see a lot of guys that do there own work do that. I'm not sure if it helps but it definitely doesn't hurt.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Vertigo_GT
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Your house must have giant windows. They're big enough to throw logic out. All your logic...

...If you're worried about engine damage on post oil change starts, get a pre-oiler.

You're perpetuating and old wives' tail.

That's "an" and "tale", Poindexter. Tale, as in story (Bambi); not tail as in *** (Sonic Mustang).You're better at being an obnoxious ***** than the spelling and grammar police.

Last edited by Vertigo_GT; 10-13-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Adding insult to injury
Old 10-14-2013, 12:07 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
A bunch of his usual, worthless, insulting, childish crap.
Originally Posted by Vertigo_GT
Corrected his usual, worthless, insulting, childish crap.
Thanks for that. I enjoyed it.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

School Boy, I completely agree with the oil on bearings bit. I was honestly just tired of sonic always being a douche to the newer members and felt like the previous person's post needed clarification.

Although I will say that the modular family of engines has a tendency to knock briefly after oil changes. Which says to me that they do experience extra wear, however minor as a result of having the oil drained. Not all of them mind you but I have heard it enough times to make note of it.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:18 PM
school boy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stevo86
School Boy, I completely agree with the oil on bearings bit. I was honestly just tired of sonic always being a douche to the newer members and felt like the previous person's post needed clarification.

Although I will say that the modular family of engines has a tendency to knock briefly after oil changes. Which says to me that they do experience extra wear, however minor as a result of having the oil drained. Not all of them mind you but I have heard it enough times to make note of it.
Most time I pay no attention myself but between being sick for the past week and being extremely busy I just snapped. I must have been lucky, my gt never ticked or knocked after oil changes.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:13 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Originally Posted by school boy
Most time I pay no attention myself but between being sick for the past week and being extremely busy I just snapped. I must have been lucky, my gt never ticked or knocked after oil changes.
Plus one
Old 10-14-2013, 08:13 PM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

It was mostly the old vics and grand marquis I did service on. Come to think of it, it may have been all NPI engines. We had a contract with the local PD and I don't remember the newer cop cars ever doing it.
Old 10-15-2013, 07:28 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Vertigo_GT

That's "an" and "tale", Poindexter. Tale, as in story (Bambi); not tail as in *** (Sonic Mustang).You're better at being an obnoxious ***** than the spelling and grammar police.
that made me lmao

Quick Reply: synthetic vs conventional oil