4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car Won't Start...TPS?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 02:51 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Default Car Won't Start...TPS?

I'm going to try to word this as clearly and as briefly as possible by making a few key points. Thanks in advance for trying to help with any input.

1) On a clean slate the car starts and idles perfectly. (after resetting the PCM and letting it idle for 15-20 mins so the PCM can re-learn the idle settings)

2) However, if I rev it or drive it (after the initial 15-20 min idle re-learning process of course) the car has a hanging idle. I'll go park the car and shut it off. Then when I try to restart it, it fails to start.

3) I've discovered something really weird. If I simply reset the PCM by disconnecting the battery for the appropriate amount of time, the car will still not start back up.

4) In order to get the car started again, in addition to resetting the PCM, I must completely remove the TPS from the TB, then re-install it while the PCM is being reset. Then and only then will the car start back up and idle just fine. I've tested this theory at least ten times and am ready to call it law.

5) It's great that at least I know what I have to do to get it started and idling perfectly again, but why and what the hell is going on???

Additional relevant information: Aftermarket TB, New Ford TPS (same exact issue with old TPS)
Old 12-20-2013, 02:59 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Take the bama tune out, return to stock tune and see if you still have the issue
Old 12-20-2013, 02:59 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Tried that. No luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Idle air control valve would be the next thing to look at
Old 12-20-2013, 03:03 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Ugh. I really didn't wanna get to that. Not that it's difficult, but car's only got 50k miles and it was fine before the new TB...What do you think about having to remove the TPS and re-install it?
Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

U sure ur putting the tps sensob ob correctly lining up the groves with the blade on TB? If so put stock back on and see if it goes away
Old 12-20-2013, 03:15 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
U sure ur putting the tps sensob ob correctly lining up the groves with the blade on TB? If so put stock back on and see if it goes away
Okay, it's POSSIBLE I'm doing it wrong but I really really don't think so. The notch on the TB butterfly that fits into the two notches in the TPS should "sit" at such a point where the butterfly notch will be in immediate contact with the TPS notches right?

OR is the butterfly notch supposed to sit where it will have to rotate quite a bit to come into contact with the TPS notches?

I'm doing it the 1st way.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:28 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

Okay, just checked to be sure if I'm putting it on incorrectly but I can't even make it fit the other way. If I try to, I can't even rotate the TPS enough to fit that way because the iac is in the way.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:28 PM
TXMach
1st Gear Member

I dunno. I'm at my wit's end. I'm gonna put the stock TB back and see if this does anything.

It just blows my mind that the TPS has to be removed, then re-installed for the car to start again. This to me meant to change the TPS but that didn't fix it.

I don't think it's the IAC since the problem started after the new TB.

I'm quite sure there are no vacuum leaks.

Again, the car starts and idles perfectly until you depress the accelerator pedal.

If I start the car and it runs perfectly, I can turn it off and on as much as I want with no issues. It's only AFTER the throttle has been opened that the car won't start again after I shut it off.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:02 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Could be an issue with tb, an leaks by it would be un metered air so it would be all kinds of goofy

Quick Reply: Car Won't Start...TPS?