4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch Work

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 01:10 AM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Default Clutch Work

Okay guys, let the fun of buying a used car begin. Havent even made my first payment yet... Pressure plate has gone out. 2004 Roush 440a. TR-3650 tranny. Heres the situation im in. Im Active duty military. E-3, dont get paid the most. What ive done so far...

Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch - $360 (Thinking i went a little over board and a stage 2 would of been fine...Going to swap out for the Mach 400 stage 2 clutch... should be more than enough. Its the stock roush 3, supercharged...only difference is exhaust. i doubt im putting down more 500 ft/lbs of torque...will save me about $130 bucks)
Ford Racing TOB - $60
Ford Racing Pilot - $11

Heres my situation.

Ive been quoted $290 for 4 hours of labor and flywheel resurface by a local shop for the clutch install. (Military discount rate)

Would it be better for me to do that, or purchase the

Exedy Lightweight Racing Flywheel - $330, and do the install myself.

We have a DIY shop here on base, i can rent a lift for $5.50 an hour. Ive done clutch installs on mustangs, i know they suck...i know what im in for.... unfortunately my wallet wont allow me to purchase both the flywheel and get someone else to install it... What would you do? Personally id rather do it myself, and know it gets done correctly...

I also have friends that are willing to help, however....are not mechanically inclined to say the least. :P Heck...if any one who reads this is in the Tampa Bay area and willing to help... Id glady reimburse you for your time and help

Having shop install im looking at all said and done, $588...If i do the work, Im getting a brand new flywheel, and all said and done about $650.

Last edited by JeffBall; 01-27-2014 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:34 AM
01 Trueblue

Originally Posted by JeffBall
Okay guys, let the fun of buying a used car begin. Havent even made my first payment yet... Pressure plate has gone out. 2004 Roush 440a. TR-3650 tranny. Heres the situation im in. Im Active duty military. E-3, dont get paid the most. What ive done so far...

Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch - $360 (Thinking i went a little over board and a stage 2 would of been fine...Going to swap out for the Mach 400 stage 2 clutch... should be more than enough. Its the stock roush 3, supercharged...only difference is exhaust. i doubt im putting down more 500 ft/lbs of torque...will save me about $130 bucks)
Ford Racing TOB - $60
Ford Racing Pilot - $11

Heres my situation.

Ive been quoted $290 for 4 hours of labor and flywheel resurface by a local shop for the clutch install. (Military discount rate)

Would it be better for me to do that, or purchase the

Exedy Lightweight Racing Flywheel - $330, and do the install myself.

We have a DIY shop here on base, i can rent a lift for $5.50 an hour. Ive done clutch installs on mustangs, i know they suck...i know what im in for.... unfortunately my wallet wont allow me to purchase both the flywheel and get someone else to install it... What would you do? Personally id rather do it myself, and know it gets done correctly...

I also have friends that are willing to help, however....are not mechanically inclined to say the least. :P Heck...if any one who reads this is in the Tampa Bay area and willing to help... Id glady reimburse you for your time and help

Having shop install im looking at all said and done, $588...If i do the work, Im getting a brand new flywheel, and all said and done about $650.
If youre AD, you must have a hobby shop, and if so I would hangout there and find some guys who can help. If this is not an option, the 290 is a good deal.

To have your flywheel resurfaced is $40 at napa and a skilled guy doing that job in a proper shop will probably do the swap in about 2.5 hrs. Theyre quoting 4 but usually takes half of that.

I just paid for a complete dif and gear swap plus some suspension work and clutch, and cable swap cost me $850 in labor.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Yeah im AD. i mentioned the hobby shop in the post. Im decently mechanically inclined so i have no issue doing the install myself... Clutch jobs are pretty straight forward. Its just a matter of not really wanting to do it myself..but also need to do whats best in the long run. This pressure plate took a dump... As it sits right now, i have ZERO slack in my cable, and its still barely disengaging. i need to do something ASAP before i start frying my synchros. Not to mention how heavy this clutch pedal is...

Last edited by JeffBall; 01-27-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Stevo86
3rd Gear Member

You can do a clutch in a mustang in 4 hours with the right tools. Get yourself a long extension and a 13mm swivel for the bell housing bolts and get at it.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:29 AM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

I am most likely doing it myself...im just stuck between sticking with the stage 3, or dropping down to stage 2...The car is a daily driver. Need it to be as streetable as possible...im putting down 450 fwHP MAX.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:44 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

So i bit the bullet and did the work myself...Clutch was toasted. Flywheel will need a resurface...however i just went ahead and purchased a new flywheel. I put in the Exedy Lightweight flywheel, along with the Exedy Mach 400 (Stage 2), along with FRPP TOB and PB.... Job wasn't too bad...biggest pain i had was removing my starter...and the long tube headers didnt make life all the easy either... Had to twist the tranny to get it out...

Didn't even know it was possible but who ever previously opened it up, put the TOB in wrong.

Heres some pics of previous clutch / flywheel

Old 02-08-2014, 04:33 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

For the record! I just purchased this car on new years day...I promise i do know how to drive stick haha...this was NOT my doing.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:32 PM
trexflyer
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JeffBall
Didn't even know it was possible but who ever previously opened it up, put the TOB in wrong.
Had the same thing happen to me. Bought the car right after they did a self install of the clutch, less than a year later....bang! horrible sounds of metallic clangs in the bell housing. Got the clutch out and lo n behold...what was left of the TOB was in backwards, and no lube.
Not sure if its the same on a 2000+ stang but the top starter bolt on my 96 was a major PITA to get out! That one bolt took longer than the whole job.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
JeffBall
1st Gear Member

Haha its similar to the 96... I ended up turning on the video camera with flash on on my phone...and looking at my phones screen through the passenger motor mount to line up the socket.