4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

What's the difference between Cobra and GT suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:42 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

Default What's the difference between Cobra and GT suspension?

What's the difference between Cobra and GT suspension? 99-2004

I think the Cobra has independent rear suspension but what else?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:50 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Default RE: What's the difference between Cobra and GT suspension?

http://www.svt.ford.com/svtArchiveCo..._three=nothing

This will sum it up.

My 02 GT handled and rode like a dump truck compared to my Cobra.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:03 PM
Voodoo
3rd Gear Member

That only explains what the Cobra has. It doesn't explain the difference.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:35 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

http://www.svt.ford.com/svtArchiveCo..._three=nothing

This will sum it up.

My 02 GT handled and rode like a dump truck compared to my Cobra.
That's cuz of your recent foot problem
Old 10-14-2005, 07:08 AM
1999allen

My 99GT's ride quality is pretty much like what you said"like a dump truck" Can you tell me more about Cobra's ride?
Does it take pot holes and speed bumps well? How about uneven road and not so smooth road (bumpy)ike say 5 south freeway
heading Orange County if you are familiar with Los Angeles area. And Is there anything I can do other than better shocks and springs
to better my ride? I guess nothing muchI can do bec's of solid axel?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:38 AM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

The ride in the Cobra is pretty remarkable and it has everything to do with the IRS. If all you are looking for is a good ride, then I will swap you IRS for your live axle any day of the week. Im looking for something that will hook, and the IRS is not good for hooking what so ever.

P.S. They made more Mystichromes in '03/'04 than they my color Cobra. I feel special. [8D]
Old 10-14-2005, 10:47 AM
tripleblack
1st Gear Member

Spring rate is different front and rear. Cobras are a good bit heavier than GT's, and the suspension components are designed to handle this. So shocks, roll bars, springs are all different. I think the ride height designed into the 2 cars is different (the Cobra's a little lower) as well.

Major advantage between the 2 cars is the Cobra IRS, which yields better handling in the twisty bits. General consensus seems to be that this advantage outweighs the weight penalty.

If you're thinking to swap suspension components from a Cobra to your GT, I wouldn't, unless you're also going to be swapping in the big brakes, supercharged motor, IRS and 6 speed transmission that matches them. The spring rates and shock valving are designed for a heavier car, and will result in a stiff ride at the least, and may be dangerous at the worst.

Swapping on the Cobra brakes is, however, an excellent idea. GT brakes suck, and a GT with a good Cobra upgrade will actually outbrake the heavier Cobra.

tripleblack
Old 10-14-2005, 01:31 PM
nathansmith50
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jdaniel

The ride in the Cobra is pretty remarkable and it has everything to do with the IRS. If all you are looking for is a good ride, then I will swap you IRS for your live axle any day of the week. Im looking for something that will hook, and the IRS is not good for hooking what so ever.

P.S. They made more Mystichromes in '03/'04 than they my color Cobra. I feel special. [8D]
where do you live i'll swap you.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:18 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: tripleblack

Spring rate is different front and rear. Cobras are a good bit heavier than GT's, and the suspension components are designed to handle this. So shocks, roll bars, springs are all different. I think the ride height designed into the 2 cars is different (the Cobra's a little lower) as well.
Major advantage between the 2 cars is the Cobra IRS, which yields better handling in the twisty bits. General consensus seems to be that this advantage outweighs the weight penalty.

If you're thinking to swap suspension components from a Cobra to your GT, I wouldn't, unless you're also going to be swapping in the big brakes, supercharged motor, IRS and 6 speed transmission that matches them. The spring rates and shock valving are designed for a heavier car, and will result in a stiff ride at the least, and may be dangerous at the worst.

Swapping on the Cobra brakes is, however, an excellent idea. GT brakes suck, and a GT with a good Cobra upgrade will actually outbrake the heavier Cobra.

tripleblack
1) Stiffer so of course rate is different
2) Most of that weight difference IS the IRS
3) Depends on who you talk to. Stock IRS is actually worse in straight line acceleration than solid axle. Twisty bit is correct though, IRS rules on this.
4) Agree with you on the last one.

Switching suspesnsions just for the sake of switching won't be worth it. You can however upgrade the sway bars to the beefier Cobra ones without any negatives.

Add a panhard setup to your Solid axle and this will help with the twisties as it helps to negate the side to side motion of the solid axle that makes it hoppy in the twisties. Leave the IRS on the Cobra. [:'(]
Old 10-14-2005, 09:11 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

You have to decide what you want out of your car's handling. Cornering performance or straight line performance. I think the whole 03-04 cobra IRS thing is kind of a catch 22. The Cobra was made to be a muscle car. The Cobra is a muscle car, designed to shine it's best in straight line perfomance. Which should dictate that it should come with a beefy solid axle setup. But it doesn't. It's not like you can't make a solid axle 99-04 gt handle and corner well. A stock Saleen S281 kills a cobra in handling and cornering, even though it had a solid axle. IMO, a solid axle gives you more versatility than an IRS. And I believe that's why ford went with it in the 05 gt.

Quick Reply: What's the difference between Cobra and GT suspension?