4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Clutch or Trans

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 06:24 PM
RazeNCain

Default Clutch or Trans

I posted this in my pricing thread but figured it might get some more love over here.

On my way to my mother's this morning I was in 5th gear doing about 55 when I felt a sudden surge not bad but it got my attention. Slowed down to about 45 and then the smell started. Pulled it over and waiting for the tow truck. Car shifts fine runs fine. You can hear a metal sound when driving doesn't matter if the clutch is fully depressed as long as it's moving it makes the noise which leads me to say and HOPE it's the transmission as its under warranty. However the smell makes me think it could be the clutch. My first thought was maybe the parking brake was sticking but all the brakes are moving freely. Any ideas? This is my first non automatic and loving it. I'm having it towed to the dealer tomorrow and trying to figure out what to expect.
Old 11-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Sandmanbjj
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar problem in a different car. But after the surge, I kept driving. Then it just revel out and no longer had power. Clutch was fine, shifted fine, just wouldn't "engage". Turns out I stripped the drive shaft.
I am not saying that's what's going on with yours but don't rule it out.
Old 11-27-2014, 07:12 PM
RazeNCain

I had actually considered that because I had a near drive shaft failure in my dodge ram but it doesn't explain the burnt smell. Really hoping I can get this covered under warranty. Tomorrow is my 3 week mark.

I can start the car and drive it and it feels normal other than the noise and smell. Still shifts perfectly. Wish I knew more about these. Reading and watching everything I can.

Edit: This is the absolute closest video I could find of my problem. It sounds NEARLY exact, mines just not as loud.

Driveshaft seems fine. It's on the way to Ford right now, will update as soon as I find out more.

Another edit:
Ring, pinion and axle are toast. Waiting for more news and warranty people to approve it.

Last edited by RazeNCain; 11-28-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:15 PM
RazeNCain

Finally got a call tonight after two weeks warranty has finally agreed to fix it. They are having to completely replace the rear end and I have been waiting for the rear diff housing to come in. Axles, gears, housing, everything is being replace. I wish I could talk them into changing to a different gearing ratio currently has 3.27's. Warranty is requiring them to stay the same. Car does have cat back flowmaster exhaust and subframe connectors.

Meant to post this up a while ago. This is what caused everything to go.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:21 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

Even if you supplied the gears yourself out of pocket, they wouldn't be able to use other than stock gears?
Old 12-11-2014, 07:24 PM
RazeNCain

I'm going there tomorrow but so far the answer has been no. I think once all the approval crap is done I can get them to sneak it in. What gears would you recommend? I do a lot of highway driving. I've always had 3.73's in my trucks but automatics are a lot different..
Old 12-13-2014, 08:28 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

4.10s or bust
Old 12-15-2014, 11:52 AM
RazeNCain

They wont budge, however the car is done and I will be picking it up this afternoon. How would you recommend breaking in the new gears?
Old 12-17-2014, 12:55 PM
RazeNCain

Heading back to the shop. The passenger side of the car is full of DEEP scratches now, the driver side mirror is loose. Tight turns I hear a thud in the back of the car almost like there is something heavy in the trunk, slowing down in 4th gear it sounded like the brake rotor was loose (thud thud thud) only did that once though. Any small bump or un-smooth pavement make it sound like the car is hitting bump stops in the rear. And vibrations at idle, enough to make my passenger ask whats wrong.. It didn't do any of this stuff when I bought it.

They were closed before I got it home Monday and had to wait for them to call me back. Service manager is being very nice about it all and is providing me a rental while they check the car over again.

Is it possible that I have a loose axle and it's causing the noise?

Last edited by RazeNCain; 12-17-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 02:26 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

..wtf??

Quick Reply: Clutch or Trans