4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 1 Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 01:46 AM
BlackMach1Mustang04

Default Mach 1 Mods

Okay I have a 2004 mach 1 mustang completely bone stock other than some bassani x pipes. Again please dont make fun I know very little about car parts and such (still kinda learning). I need a run down off all the mods that would cost me an arm and a leg right now to gain me some horsepower and so on. Also what exactly would I be looking at getting to support a supercharger like this:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...ang_mach1.html
(The bottom one)

Someone told me that you have to get more parts to support a super charger like that. Plus is that the best super charger for the buck? Does anyone have other suggestions on a better one and so on? Like I said any ideas where the hell to start would be great. And please this might sound funny but in simple english please on what these items do.....[sm=sigh.gif]
Thanks
Derek
Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mach 1 Mods

Vortech makes good kits. These 4.6 engines respond very well to a power adder. The "best" supercharger for street use would be a twin screw blower. Kenne Bell and Whipple make these, you're better off getting a Whipple if you can get your hands on one, seeing as they went out of business a while ago word is. They still re-sell through Saleen from what I have seen, however these are the most expensive by far.

Other things you'll need:

Build your engine, you'll want forged connecting rods and a crank, may as well throw forged pistons in there while you're at it. Your stock connecting rods will be ok up to 450 flywheel horsepower, which is usually under 9 lbs of boost with an intercooler.

An intercooler is important, cools the compressed air from your supercharger, keeps temperatures down, reduces risk of detonation, and you blowing up your motor. If you get a supercharger, spend the extra and get the intercooler immediately... better to spend a little more and be a little more safe.

After 9lbs of boost (some say 300 RWHP) your stock fuel system won't be able to keep up any more. Kenne Bell makes what they call the Boost-a-pump, it ups the voltage of your fuel pump under high boost so it can maintain fuel pressure. Leaning out = bad.

You'll also want larger fuel injectors... larger fuel injectors = more fuel into the combustion chamber. If you're forcing more air in, you need to get more fuel in too. Most kits come with larger injectors.

Your ignition will need to be upgraded, you'll need a more powerful spark.

Most importantly you'll need a tune! Find a tuning shop near you that has a dyno and be sure they can do the tune before you even buy the kit. You'll either blow up your car, it won't run, or it'll run like crap unless you get it tuned.

Those are just general things that will need to be changed.

For that kit, it should come with injectors, look in to it for fuel system upgrades, they may come with the kit too. You'll need to find a tune, and BE LIGHT ON IT! That is pushing the limits of your connecting rods... don't run it all the way up to red line is my suggestion... it will break.

Edit: After typing all of that, I should ask this... what kind of power/torque do you want to get out of it? There may be other ways (nitrous is by far the most cost effective), bolt-ons may get you to where you want to go too.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:37 AM
BlackMach1Mustang04

I'm looking at maybe 480 to whatever. But 480 would be atleast what I want to reach. Nothing outrageous but nothing to shy away from either.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:25 AM
BlackMach1Mustang04

I like shopping at mustang tuning. Does anyone recommend a certain exhaust from that site. Someone told me catback exhaust but there looks to be a couple different ones on their site in info would help.... Right now I have bassani x pipes currently.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:33 AM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Check out www.mustangexhaust.com their all kinds of clips to listen to. That will give you some kind of idea of what to get. Then shop around to see who has the setup the cheapest. But of course, its better to hear it in person.