4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Mach 460 System Problems. Only tweeters are working?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 10:34 PM
dakman96

Talking Mach 460 System Problems. Only tweeters are working?

I own a 2001 Mustang GT with the Mach 460 Sound System. I bought it from someone else and at the time of buying it all the tweeters (front and rear) worked and the rear subwoofers. After replacing the aftermarket radio already in there with another aftermarket radio, the rear subwoofers no longer work. I checked multiple times and everything is wired correctly. Because the front AND rear subwoofers don't work, could this have to do with the amps? How do I test this and what should I start working on in order to get this working? Thanks in advance!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:17 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Are the amps the factory amps? Did you buy the head unit new?
Old 12-30-2014, 07:49 AM
BabyGT
5th Gear Member

There should have been two rcas that plug into the pre amp outs on the head unit you might have missed plugging back in after removing the other aftermarket head unit.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:29 AM
dakman96

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
Are the amps the factory amps? Did you buy the head unit new?
Yes all amps in the car are factory Also I did buy the head unit new, it's a Pioneer AVH-X1600DVD
Old 12-30-2014, 10:30 AM
dakman96

Originally Posted by BabyGT
There should have been two rcas that plug into the pre amp outs on the head unit you might have missed plugging back in after removing the other aftermarket head unit.
Yep both RCA cables were plugged in correctly. I checked everything on the stereo and even redid it to see if it'd help but it wont... The last radio was very rigged so I think he messed something up and had to wire it weirdly to make it work...
Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I don't think the factory amps can take a standard RCA signal. I think they need a higher level. Is it possible the factory amps are bypassed and the wires near the head go directly to the speakers? Did the old setup use the RCA jacks off the "old" head?
Old 12-30-2014, 10:43 PM
dakman96

I don't think the factory amps can take a standard RCA signal. I think they need a higher level. Is it possible the factory amps are bypassed and the wires near the head go directly to the speakers? Did the old setup use the RCA jacks off the "old" head?
This was a good idea but unfortunately the old stereo did not use the "old" stereo RCA cables. It used the normal RCA cables that came with that aftermarket stereo.

Even when the old aftermarket stereo was hooked up (the one I just replaced), only the rear bass speakers worked. The front speakers are working and hooked up properly and didn't function then or now so could it be possible that the amps are bad? How could I test for this? I visually inspected the amps and no aftermarket wiring is present and everything seems to be properly hooked up
Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

I'm still not sure what you are describing, does your new head have speaker level signals going to the "tweeters" ? Are these working OK?
Are you using the RCA outputs for the 4 subs? Sounds like you are using the RCA plugs from the new head to go the the factory amps, how do they connect to the factory amp? Do you have any sound at all coming from the subs?
You should be able to get a mini plug to RCA cable so you can run an Ipod to the amp if it has RCA inputs. If you have power and the speakers are hooked up correctly you should have sound. Did you test the subs with a signal at the output of the amps? (this will confirm that the wiring to the subs is OK).
Old 12-31-2014, 05:02 PM
dakman96

I'm still not sure what you are describing, does your new head have speaker level signals going to the "tweeters" ? Are these working OK?
Are you using the RCA outputs for the 4 subs? Sounds like you are using the RCA plugs from the new head to go the the factory amps, how do they connect to the factory amp? Do you have any sound at all coming from the subs?
You should be able to get a mini plug to RCA cable so you can run an Ipod to the amp if it has RCA inputs. If you have power and the speakers are hooked up correctly you should have sound. Did you test the subs with a signal at the output of the amps? (this will confirm that the wiring to the subs is OK).
Sorry I wasn't clear, I reread what I typed so let me try to clear this up a bit The RCA cables that are currently hooked up are plugged into the back of the new head unit. The RCA cables run into a harness (part of the new head unit) that plugs into the factory harness (factory stereo harness). I hope that clears things up but if not I plan on taking pictures tomorrow as well as troubleshooting since I won't have to go to work. Also to answer the other questions all the tweeters (front and rear) work fine, but there is absolutely no sound from the woofers. I hope this helps and thanks for all the advice so far
Old 01-01-2015, 08:38 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

Are you using the sub RCAs from the head? Does the head have a menu that turns these off and on? It does sound to me that the factory amps might be out, are they getting DC power? Are they getting warm?
When you have time-this will be a good test
You should be able to get a mini plug to RCA cable so you can run an Ipod to the amp from your RCA harness. If you have power and the speakers are hooked up correctly you should have sound. Did you test the sub speakers with a signal at the output of the amps? (this will confirm that the wiring to the subs is OK).

Quick Reply: Mach 460 System Problems. Only tweeters are working?