4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Relay draining battery?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 PM
xoHollieNicole

Default Relay draining battery?

Hey everyone!

So, something is draining my car battery and we're in the process of trying to figure out what it is. It's not the alternator, we've already checked that and ruled it out. We know it's not a bad battery because it's brand new and we had the battery unplugged over the weekend for world of wheels and the car started up just fine once we reconnected it.

It dies overnight. I can leave my car at 5pm and by the time I check it at say 11am the next day, it's already completely 100% dead.

My friend who had the car before me took the sequentials out of it before he sold it to me and said he forgot the relay in it and said that might be what's draining. He's supposed to come look at it asap (which could be a few weeks). So, until then, I'm wondering if anyone thinks this might be the problem, or if they think it might be something else? The car started having battery problems when he had the car, and the last thing he did was the sequential removal. He bought a new batter thinking it was that, but apparently it's not.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:51 AM
2004GTconvertable

Just a complete shot in the dark ! I had a car that did this and found the trunk light was staying on all the time. Go to your nearest Auto Zone, etc. and have them check the alternator and battery again, they will do it free. Also have them check for any codes while you are there. Check battery terminal connections and just look around for a pinched wire or loose connector. Good luck with it and post what you find.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:50 AM
Chromeshadow
3rd Gear Member

The good news, if your battery drains over night, something is sucking over 1A continuously, probably closer to 2A or 3A. If you get a cheap digital meter (even Walmart has them for about $10) that measures up to 20A, you can disconnect the plus side of battery and put the ammeter in series with the positive cable. Do not try to start the car or turn on the headlights- this will draw more the 20A and burn out the meter.
You can start removing fuses until the current reading drops to about .2 A (200 mA). This will tell you which circuit is having the problem. (finding problems under 1A is a little harder).
If you are not sure how to hook up the meter let us know.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM
unitedwestang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Chromeshadow
The good news, if your battery drains over night, something is sucking over 1A continuously, probably closer to 2A or 3A. If you get a cheap digital meter (even Walmart has them for about $10) that measures up to 20A, you can disconnect the plus side of battery and put the ammeter in series with the positive cable. Do not try to start the car or turn on the headlights- this will draw more the 20A and burn out the meter.
You can start removing fuses until the current reading drops to about .2 A (200 mA). This will tell you which circuit is having the problem. (finding problems under 1A is a little harder).
If you are not sure how to hook up the meter let us know.
+1

I had a drain that killed the battery after a day or two of sitting. Did the above described procedure and found I had drains related to the GEM and subwoofers. My car had the Mach 1000 audio system at one point but someone cut the subs out and left the bare wire there, so I just left the fuse for them out. The GEM was another story, but fixed it as well.

Regardless, the process is tedious, but it does work, and its better than taking shots in the dark and guessing what it is. If you are still unsure of how to do the above procedure just Google "How to test battery drain". You'll find it.